Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

1323334353638»

Comments

• Ending times won't satisfy everyone ever.

I pretty much prefer when the event ends at 6am rather than 6pm.
  • At some point (around the first Hulk or Hunt I think) the ending times where more shuffled at 3, 6, 9, 12 and PVE ending on weekends. I thought that was best compromise.

The current schedule 6 am 3 times, 6 pm one time always during the week sucks pretty bad.
  • I liked the casual style of this event. Didn't need to grind and if I didn't have the right level guys I wouldn't be able to take advantage of rubber banding because of scaling. The ones who play early get easy fights. The ones who take advantage of rubber banding don't. It balances itself out. Rerun as many of these events as possible. They are perfect after events where you have had to be super competitive
  • I see a lot of valid complaints but I had fun with this event. ISO-8 was the first event I played in way back with my one star roster and I just couldn't compete. Actually doing well and maintaining a top 5 spot was exciting. Looking forward to a new character that's actually new was cool. And it wasn't overly grindy. It also showed how far the devs have come since then with improvements to the PVE structure.

Like I said, some of the complaints are valid like the progression awards being so far off and the rubber banding allowing 200 placement swings. It did keep me engaged at the end though to ensure I kept my placement!
  • I hated this event. The rubberbanding meant the swings in placement were ridiculous. Every night I would go to bed in the top 5, and every day I'd wake up to find myself around 150-200 places further down. If the event had finished on a Saturday night/morning, I could have stayed up till 5am to make sure I finished as high as possible. As it was, due to the fact I work for a living (like most of us do), I had to make do with staying up as late as feasibly possible (3am in my case) and going to bed in 2nd place. I hoped for the best, but woke up to a top 100 place, missing out on the 2nd Torch cover. For someone who was never outside the top 10 after finishing each refresh, that feels like a real kick in the teeth.

To top it all off, the lack of subs meant that it really didn't generate that much ISO or any tokens, bar the one event token I got (though I did fortunately pull a red Lazy Shieldbro cover). Hopefully Episode 4.5 when it comes out will be run a lot better than this was.
  • Polares wrote:

PD: At least Hearthstone for iPad and Dark Souls 2 for PC are coming, then I won't mind any of this anymore...

Hearthstone gets old too. Especially if you don't follow the meta game, cause everyone is just copying the pro-builds and stomping you unless you have your own pro-build.

MPQ is my substitution for hearthstone.

As for this event. I really think the devs need to make it up to us Europeans. Unless you woke up at 4-5am, like I did, then there was no chance of you getting anything higher then top 200.

Have any PvE ended in the middle of the night US time??? Just curious because it feels like EU gets boned A LOT.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milkrain wrote:
    Have any PvE ended in the middle of the night US time??? Just curious because it feels like EU gets boned A LOT.
    No, of course not.
    They wouldn't want to get their (obviously) biggest player base annoyed.

Yes, I know - end times like the one for Hollowpoint Kiss are annoying for the US - noon EST on a weekday.
    So you might have to take an early lunch - big deal.
    Or in the worst case you have to use an 8 hour shield instead of a 3 hour one.

I know, I'm whining, but it really would be so much easier to play during end times for 85% of the events.
    Without losing sleep.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Or in the worst case you have to use an 8 hour shield instead of a 3 hour one.

Since the beginning of Daylight saving time I haven't been able to use 3 hour shields anymore, since it would still require me to stay awake until 3 a.m.

This is beyond annoying.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Milkrain wrote:
    Polares wrote:

PD: At least Hearthstone for iPad and Dark Souls 2 for PC are coming, then I won't mind any of this anymore...

Hearthstone gets old too. Especially if you don't follow the meta game, cause everyone is just copying the pro-builds and stomping you unless you have your own pro-build.

MPQ is my substitution for hearthstone.

As for this event. I really think the devs need to make it up to us Europeans. Unless you woke up at 4-5am, like I did, then there was no chance of you getting anything higher then top 200.

Yes I have heard that, that right now there is not very much variation in the decks. But I suppose the number of cards, an strategies will grow. The game is just a month old (not counting the beta phase), look how Magic was the first year and how it is right now icon_razz.gif. But if it is not good then I will allways have DS2PC icon_e_biggrin.gif

The problem with this event is not that it finished at 5am in my timezone, the problem is that all the work I put in the event during the week was for nothing. A lot of events finish in that time zome, most of them do, but in most of them If you have done all the refreshes, and you have been consistent in your effort you have better results. In the Hulk-LazyThor event or in the event with Lazy cap as s reward for example I dind't have any of these problems, I won all the covers. This event was broken from the beginning.
  • I'd like to congratulate my group, MisFitRightIn, for doing as well as they did at the end, and securing second place among alliances. The implementation of the in-game chat allowed me to provide them with advice on how to perform, and it pushed us up into the top tier of rewards.

Also like to say that this kind of event is the one I prefer - it's far less time consuming over a week, but I'm not overly fond of the lack of rewards. I feel that the best time input to rewards ratio was in Thick as Thieves, given each mission only had two stacks rather than five, but that's probably just me.

Also, if you chose to do your missions at the start of the last 12 hours rather than the end, that's your own fault. Most of the people I see griping know full well how the game's rubber banding works, and doing something stupid like grinding down Venezuela with 10 hours to go is on your own head. I got first in my bracket with almost a 900 point lead, and I was second place out of everyone in the top 10 alliances, kudos to Bugpop on that achievement. If you know how to work the points and rubber banding, you're golden.

My only real gripe on a personal note is the progression rewards. Should've been scaled down, top players didn't even get anything past the 500 Iso-8 reward.
  • GumisK wrote:
    GumisK wrote:
    finwe wrote:
    Finally over, can we please not rerun this event like ever?

It's the third time now and it sucked each time, for different reasons but nevertheless I think it's cursed.

Quoted for truthery. If I see the name "Unstable Iso" in the news anytime in the predictable future, I'm sure of going homicidal.

I dunno, if progression awards were obtainable, I think that everyone's perception of this event would change significantly.

I can't be the spokesperson of everyone, but for me, the progression rewards issue wasn't the only one, and definitely not the main one. Rubberbanding factor was out of this world, I can't see a point to a six-day tourney being decided within the last hour, especially when the whole Europe is doomed to be unable to take part in the final push unless they're OK with not sleeping. That's some serious tinykitty.

In a "normal" event, you have to do the same thing x4. If you aren't playing at the end of a sub, you aren't placing in that sub, and if you aren't placing in the subs, you aren't placing in the main. This event was actually BETTER for catching up on your sleep, only one day where you have to be playing at a certain time.

The utter drought of rewards really is the main issue
  • I thought the event was okay.

They give you a nice mix of buffed heroes to play with and scaling worked very well for me. Rewards were a bit paltry, but we just came off an event that was very generous.

I think if they just broke the event in half (2 3 1/2 day sub-missions) it would've improved everything. There probably would've been higher scores (higher engagement) and Europeans could have had a better ending time for one of the events. It was really unfair that so much rode on the last 90 minutes of play when half the world is asleep.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    I think if they just broke the event in half (2 3 1/2 day sub-missions) it would've improved everything. There probably would've been higher scores (higher engagement) and Europeans could have had a better ending time for one of the events. It was really unfair that so much rode on the last 90 minutes of play when half the world is asleep.

Pretty much this. Two subs with each favouring one half of the globe would have been much better in my opinion. Topped off with some better arranged solo progression rewards. Those last couple hours so make so much of a difference that unless you're in the 'right part of the world' that it didnt matter how well you played before that point. Kinda ruins having an event lasting days when only the last couple hours count.
  • gamar wrote:

In a "normal" event, you have to do the same thing x4. If you aren't playing at the end of a sub, you aren't placing in that sub, and if you aren't placing in the subs, you aren't placing in the main. This event was actually BETTER for catching up on your sleep, only one day where you have to be playing at a certain time.

The utter drought of rewards really is the main issue

Completely disagree with your logic here. I haven't found I need to play at the end of a sub to place well. I can safely build a lead six-eight hours out, and still finish top ten. (Presumably the rubber-banding is implemented in a more subtle way.) Either way, surely you can't support the idea of an event which people commit to for six days, and then are screwed out of placement by people who rock up within the last 24-36 hours. That makes no sense, and is a guaranteed way to piss off the more committed of your player base. I, for one, wasn't bothered nearly so much by the lack of progression rewards as I was by the inability to judge how best to tackle the event to do well, and its boring structure and repetitive nodes.

Like it or not, the current set-up of MPQ is geared towards regular players who show a level of commitment. I've long argued that their are other scoring systems which could be implemented which could make this 'fairer', or at least different. We don't have that yet. But structuring an event which is seven days long, then only making the last day or so relevant in terms of rewards, is obviously just a broken system. And I suspect the Devs think so too.

We're still in the early days of MPQ. We're still play-testing, like it or not. I suspect they run an event like this, after an event like Simulator, partially because it's easier to roll-out "off the shelf" with some updates to rewards, and partially because they want to see how the player base reacts (through play-testing, not forum comments) to two such diverse events. That info will tell them a lot about how to design and build future episodes to suit the majority of the player base.

At least, I hope that's the motivation, and that there wasn't a conversation around the water-cooler in D3 HQ, around day two of this event, that started: "Oh ****, I forgot how broken this event was when I suggested we use it to roll out Human Torch, and then take a couple of days off."
  • allorin wrote:
    Either way, surely you can't support the idea of an event which people commit to for six days, and then are screwed out of placement by people who rock up within the last 24-36 hours. That makes no sense, and is a guaranteed way to piss off the more committed of your player base. I, for one, wasn't bothered nearly so much by the lack of progression rewards as I was by the inability to judge how best to tackle the event to do well, and its boring structure and repetitive nodes.

Well, I don't think this event structure works unless they pepper some HP and big ISO rewards on nodes throughout the week. If you have an event structured like this one but implement that change so there ISN'T a total lack of rewards like this one, then you have an event where you can join anywhere from day 1 to day 5 and have a shot at the main prize covers, and you can play as much or as little as you want for HP and ISO, without worrying about grinding or refreshes or stacks until the last day. I definitely support having some events like that.

And don't call me "Shirley"
  • gamar wrote:
    And don't call me "Shirley"

icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • BIGTOE wrote:
    Good job to everyone who finished in the top 2! Impressive stuff! I was about 500 points short in the end.
    I'm in the same Hollowpoint Kiss bracket as you icon_e_surprised.gif lol so much for that