Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Comments

• Mawtful wrote:
    Brady28, of S.H.I.E.L.D, came right out of nowhere in my bracket. I hadn't seen you all week, but you launched yourself to #1 and held on for dear life by the look of it. I ended up settling somewhere in top 20.

I sweated out top2 finish. Slacked off most of the event once I realized it would be inpossible to pull away from the field. Went balls to wall for the final 90 mins, 200th to 1st place. Aint rubberbanding a **** ; )
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ended up in 2nd, got overtaken in the final two minutes.

That event was insane for Europeans - went up to 1st with 13 hours to go, got up at 5AM to a 248th place - I mean, come on, now.
    Of course it's no problem to rubberband back into the top 10 (or top 2, if you so desire) but that requires a decent roster and willingness to sacrifice sleep.

At least there are _some_ events now that end at a decent time for us, but the low point total coupled with the rubberbanding... not fun.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Human Torch's icon on tiles looks ridiculously cute. Aww petite flame. Why do you have less health at level 20 than level 8 Juggs? Oh well.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Ended up in 2nd, got overtaken in the final two minutes.

That event was insane for Europeans - went up to 1st with 13 hours to go, got up at 5AM to a 248th place - I mean, come on, now.
    Of course it's no problem to rubberband back into the top 10 (or top 2, if you so desire) but that requires a decent roster and willingness to sacrifice sleep.

At least there are _some_ events now that end at a decent time for us, but the low point total coupled with the rubberbanding... not fun.

Not so bad here, went to sleep at 11:30 last night number 3, woke up a top 200 finisher. Glad to see people rewarded for 12 hours' hard work
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    wow...
    I spent the last week playing this game every day to always maintain my top ten position.
    I went to sleep as nr 4 on the list and woke up to get a single Ares?? I really don't know if I should play this game...
  • I do think the whole placement freefall if you somehow missed the very last refresh is a bad idea, but I honestly have no idea how they'd fix it without getting rid of the rubberband. Now I don't mind if they get rid of that, but in that case you'd have something like heroic Oscorp where you already know what place you're likely to finish by the second day of the event, and that doesn't seem like a good idea either.

Maybe they can do it such that once you're at T-(refresh time) hours, rubberband is off, though I'm sure there's some problems that I do not yet forsee if they did it that way.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I guess it could be better if there were always subs or some other marks to secure placement, so that people could at least not fall 200+ ranks over the last hours. Why bother with an event during the entire week, when a 90 minute push just before it ends (as AsianInvasion let us know) gets the same and even better?
  • It sucks..
    I am in time zone where most of the tournaments endings are set to 6 AM.
    Its unfair, ridiculous and annoying!
    How can I finish on first places - I have to sleep, I have a family and work!
    Now in Iso red I was 9th when going to sleep but ended in top 200.
    I feel desperate- after few days of play, mostly in top 20/50 i finish without black human torch.
    Devs change the timezones please!!
    Evening 8 - 10 pm would be much better!

I can empathise. Cross-posting from my alliance chat:

I went to bed top 5 in my bracket. Woke up to "Top 200", so pretty much as I predicted.

Took me back to the 'old days' of MPQ (2013), when terrible event design /rubber-banding meant that no matter how well I did in the preceding 6 days, if I stopped playing midnight UK (I.e. About 5 hours before event end), then I had no chance of a decent placement.

Also reminded me why I've had so much difficulty getting covers till recently. The first events were so heavily geared towards a North American end time no one else could compete. My HT has no Black. icon_e_sad.gif

Well done to everyone in Django, though! Another top ten finish. icon_e_biggrin.gif Thanks to the alliance reward, at least my HT has two covers, not the one I'd otherwise have.
  • Well. That was a thing.

I wish the info on the last node set lasting >24hrs. was a little more widespread. If I had held off my morning play session before work, the rubberband would have slingshot me to Top 2.
    As it happened, I managed to go #167 to Top 20 (16, I think) with 80-ish minutes to go.

MVP go to ClasStorm, who went Buff-Wind Storm on so many nodes, it ALMOST made me consider a respec to get blue to 5. Constantly pairing her with OBW and/or MagNowto was just too much fun.

Lastly, here's to hoping for a solid 3* Hero in the Human Torch, and a lead role in the soon to be Episode 5 of Dark Reign.

Now plz excuse me all, as I run the update to R50.
  • IHatePVP wrote:
    Well. That was a thing.

I wish the info on the last node set lasting >24hrs. was a little more widespread. If I had held off my morning play session before work, the rubberband would have slingshot me to Top 2.
    As it happened, I managed to go #167 to Top 20 (16, I think) with 80-ish minutes to go.

MVP go to ClasStorm, who went Buff-Wind Storm on so many nodes, it ALMOST made me consider a respec to get blue to 5. Constantly pairing her with OBW and/or MagNowto was just too much fun.

Lastly, here's to hoping for a solid 3* Hero in the Human Torch, and a lead role in the soon to be Episode 5 of Dark Reign.

5 in blue is the only logical build for storm. I asked Spock, he agreed.
  • Finally over, can we please not rerun this event like ever?

It's the third time now and it sucked each time, for different reasons but nevertheless I think it's cursed.
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    finwe wrote:
    Finally over, can we please not rerun this event like ever?

It's the third time now and it sucked each time, for different reasons but nevertheless I think it's cursed.

Quoted for truthery. If I see the name "Unstable Iso" in the news anytime in the predictable future, I'm sure of going homicidal.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    GumisK wrote:
    finwe wrote:

Quoted for truthery. If I see the name "Unstable Iso" in the news anytime in the predictable future, I'm sure of going homicidal.

I dunno, if progression awards were obtainable, I think that everyone's perception of this event would change significantly.
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    GumisK wrote:
    finwe wrote:

I dunno, if progression awards were obtainable, I think that everyone's perception of this event would change significantly.

I can't be the spokesperson of everyone, but for me, the progression rewards issue wasn't the only one, and definitely not the main one. Rubberbanding factor was out of this world, I can't see a point to a six-day tourney being decided within the last hour, especially when the whole Europe is doomed to be unable to take part in the final push unless they're OK with not sleeping. That's some serious tinykitty.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    IHatePVP wrote:
    Well. That was a thing.

Did you deplete some of the stacks in the 12 hours before it ended? Otherwise, I don't think the rubberbanding would have saved you unless you played at the very last minute
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    finwe wrote:

Totally agree. This is probably THE WORST event , and for so many reasons (no subevents, dont know when the cleaning of nodes was comming, progression awards broken, etc, etc.)

And I could only get one cover because the event finished in my timezone at 5 am, so I was just best 100 when for most of the event I was first or in the best 10. It really sucks to end like this.

DON'T RERUN THIS EVENT AGAIN, NEVER EVER AGAIN. PLEASE.

PD: The only good thing was playing with a buffed Patch, now that I can allways claim at least 3 colors Best There Is is really awesome!!!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it's going to be hard going back to an unbuffed patch
  • Phantron wrote:
    I do think the whole placement freefall if you somehow missed the very last refresh is a bad idea, but I honestly have no idea how they'd fix it without getting rid of the rubberband.

I prefer subs and rubberbanding off the leader in them. At least you can build up a lead that cannot be easierly rubber banded away. As the winning score at 56,500 ish you could have gotten that just doing the final 3 refreshes and ignoring the first 6 days.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sumilea wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    I do think the whole placement freefall if you somehow missed the very last refresh is a bad idea, but I honestly have no idea how they'd fix it without getting rid of the rubberband.

I prefer subs and rubberbanding off the leader in them. At least you can build up a lead that cannot be easierly rubber banded away. As the winning score at 56,500 ish you could have gotten that just doing the final 3 refreshes and ignoring the first 6 days.

This is so wrong. I ve been playing for seven days, always in first position after doing my refresh, doing all refreshes two or three times a day, and then finishing 50+ because of rubberbanding, and the importance of doing the last refresh at the end time of the event (that I couldn't do because it was 5am in my timezone). This event was completely broken from the beginning.

Sometimes I wonder why I play this game... Ah yeah, because the game is fun, the problem is just with the Metagame :S :S :S :S :S

PD: At least Hearthstone for iPad and Dark Souls 2 for PC are coming, then I won't mind any of this anymore...
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been asking for devs to have new permanent PVE chapters with decent rewards for those of us not in US timezone and really do have a life or have to work. I guess their data shows that most players are from the US of A, else they wouldn't ignore this for so long.