*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    You should totally sell that DD.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    I think a reasonable buff would be making his red traps created on random basic tiles (or red and green, the offensive colours), rather than confined to red only.
  • A maxed lvl character is worth more than 20k... At the very least its a decent sub in no/low healthpacks situations when your preferred covers are disqualified or koed. I would never sell a cover you put any iso into unless they have a special situation like when they offered a bonus for wolvie/thor sellbacks for a week...and don't expect that to ever happen again. The devs also know ppl.think dd is weak...so of course he needs to be required in some nodes.

Side note: when you sell your covers you know you are are selling them as copulation captives to the kree empire, right? That's pretty uncool. Plus dd is blind, with THAT pocket rocket? Could you sleep at night knowing you were the direct cause of a kree female being split in half n a blind *snicker* pheromone fueled rage (no dakan)? Also, if thats not enough, selling heroes as captives to the kree lower your in game karma rating that decides how often the machine gets a lucky cascade. You sell that dd and you should expect to see a lot of red tiles fall into enemy dd's laps, and then get lit up by firecrotch's fire hose attack that will now be littered on the board in very mandatory to match spots. Is that the world you want to live in? One where you can no longer look yourself in the mirror every morning? Being afraid to play at work in case your boss thinks you are looking at red men in spandex softcore? Having the image of dd's red activating burned both into your phone/comp/tablet screen(s) and therefore burned into your retina? Waking up one day and just going all Oedipus on yourself to try and stop the pain; finally to realize that your suffering, now that you are constantly mentally assaulted by the mighty ducks (see: flying D) and blind just like the man you sold into slavery, will finally end its karmic assault just to realize that blind ppl don't just magically get superpowers when they become blind?is that the life you wish to call your own? One where the closest thing to love you will ever feel again is the sound of your doorbell ringing, only to find that its a door to door knife salesman (see: stupid just out of high school kid who doesn't know what a pyramid scheme is) and that you are actually considering buying a knife just so the person will stay a second longer to talk.with you? Is that the world you want to try dissolve your now pitiful existence into like a all artificial sweetner sugar cube (see: yuck, I'd go into detail but one swig of a diet soda and I don't need to explain anything else) in a boiling pot of urine. ....which makes me think of 148 days later or whatever the day count of that movie about the trapped hiker is. No reason, just kinda my go to "glass of urine" thought. Kinda odd how cup of feces=nasty internet video and cup of urine=academy award nomination...just sayin.

So yea...don't sell.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heaka75 wrote:
    I have a maxed out Daredevil, don't ask me why, but I never use him. I could get 25000 Iso if I sell him. Should I do it so I can build up a more useful character? What about selling the original Thor and Cap if you have the new and improved ones?

If you have the roster space keep him, he'll be a featured character someday and you'll be kicking yourself.
  • Never sell characters, unless bagman, 1* hawkeye, or yelena.
  • I like playing with him whenever I get the chance. He's not that bad on offence if you play smart and against the right opponents. Against characters like Rag or Juggs his red should be real handy. Also, with some clever play you can align the traps so that the AI triggers them.

On defense I expect him to be rubbish.

Don't sell. A Daredevil PvP should be right around the corner I predict.
  • Phaserhawk
    I'm probaly late to the party on this, but doesn't DD directly counter C. Mags? I mean they both would fight for color, DD's blue unless Mags overwrites the blue tile it's hiding will ended up stunning himself if he tries to create match 5's, and Mags Red allows random blow ups which means you never no what you are going to trigger. Assuming they are running say Patch and Thor, you don't have to worry about tiles being overwritten except Patch's TBTI potenitally overwriting your red traps. OMG is DD actually useful?
  • It would be nice if you could pick the tile for your trap. Then he would be a little more enjoyable to use.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Without breaking it down on paper, 25k ISO is only about 15-20 level increases on one character. You're not even getting an HP refund, so you couldn't apply any of your gain to getting covers you want or roster space.

DD is kinda fun, even if you don't wanna put him in during crunchtime. You could have him sit in on a round while one of yer dudes is healing. Two of his 3 abilities are level-independent, so being a l18 is not a complete hindrance (though it does make him less of a Tank Captain).
  • I suspect for the majority of people the AI using Daredevil is going to be a problem. You have to think like the AI and know exactly where the tile is, AND try not fall into it. Most people don't think that deeply, or maybe that's just me. But knowing the AI that's hard to do anyway, I've lost many an OBW because I had no choice but to play her when her health was low just because no other characters could do a match. Not only that color denial is pretty difficult, there's always going to be one of those three colors on the board because the opposing team will be sure to need them too. And the traps are deadly enough that you can't bulldoze your way through them and plan to heal up later. So really I think DD is great for defense.

Except of course when facing Daken, because of the imbalance issues there.
  • Even the Punisher's Molotov Cocktail overwrites DD's traps? Seriously, D3, do you even want us to play this guy?

Yes, DD is great against cMags. And if the damage from Magnetic Translocation doesn't down DD then cMags should be downed in a flurry of crotch kicks.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 689 Critical Contributor
    Keep him in case he gets buffs in the future.
  • Phaserhawk
    So here's Mr. Murdock currently

Daredevil (Classic)
    3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link
    At Max Level: HP: 5800 Tile damage: 10/52/60/67/11/12

Radar Sense - Purple 11 AP
    Daredevil's heightened senses let him strike first, terrifying the enemy. Creates an Environment Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, steals 2 AP from all colors. If you match the tile, it steals 1 Purple AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level Upgrades

Level 2: Steals 3 AP on enemy match.
    Level 3: Steals 4 AP on enemy match.
    Level 4: Steals 5 AP on enemy match.
    Level 5: Steals 6 AP on enemy match.

Equalizer - Blue 7 AP
    Billy Club in hand, Daredevil prowls the battlefield, waiting to even the odds. Create a Blue trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, stuns for 2 turns. if you match the tile, it generates 1 Blue AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level Upgrades

Level 2: Stuns for 3 turns.
    Level 3: Stuns for 4 turns.
    Level 4: Stuns for 5 turns.
    Level 5: Stuns for 6 turns.

Ambush - Red 7 AP
    Daredevil lurks in the shadow, ready to strike. Creates a Red Trap tile that, when matched by the enemy, deals 473 damage. If you match the tile, the enemy takes 24 damage and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.
    Level Upgrades

Level 2: 662 damage on enemy match.
    Level 3: 851 damage on enemy match.
    Level 4: 1041 damage on enemy match.
    Level 5: 1230 damage on enemy match.
    Max Level: Enemy takes 7712 damage on enemy match / Enemy takes 148 damage on player match

So what if all Devs did was tweak 3 things.

Radar Sense - Purple 11 AP
    Daredevil's heightened senses let him strike first, terrifying the enemy. Creates a Yellow Trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, steals 2 AP from all colors. If you match the tile, it steals 1 Purple AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.

Equalizer - Blue 7 AP
    Billy Club in hand, Daredevil prowls the battlefield, waiting to even the odds. Create a Green trap tile that, when matched by an enemy, stuns for 2 turns. if you match the tile, it generates 1 Blue AP and changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile

Ambush - Red 7 AP
    Daredevil lurks in the shadow, ready to strike. Creates a Black Trap tile that, when matched by the enemy, deals 473 damage. If you match the tile, the enemy takes 24 damage and it changes locations. Enemies cannot see the tile.

What this does is make DD unique, he can touch all colors essentially making him a rainbow character and since he can't see color this would be cool as well. It allows the player to make him a more active character, you match red to trap black, then you can activate black to do damage or do you gather more red? Same with Purple, I can send it to yellow and steal AP by matching yellow, or do I match purple to create more traps. This would require the programers to literally do nothing aside from change 3 spots in the programming. Making DD unique and solving problems, ie. matching tiles to create traps, but reducing the spots needed. Also making his red go to black fixes the strike tile issue except in Latveria icon_e_smile.gif And possible Psylocke but I can live with that.
  • Phaserhawk
    I just came up with the most optimal and least problamatic way for the Devs to fix DD with a bare minimum of programing fix.

I'm gong to assume the Devs won't change his color comp, wether tiles are overwritten, etc. etc. But I thought of a cool niche spot for DD that would have me playing and they just have to tweak 3 things.

Check here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6016
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think this would make him viable because it doesn't change his inherit problem of his abilities having a good probability of doing nothing throughout the entire match. The trap mechanic inherently has this issue, and this doesn't help with that really. It is a neat idea and would create some more interesting gameplay choices, but I doubt it would change his power level and place in the metagame at all.
  • Phaserhawk
    I don't think this would make him viable because it doesn't change his inherit problem of his abilities having a good probability of doing nothing throughout the entire match. The trap mechanic inherently has this issue, and this doesn't help with that really. It is a neat idea and would create some more interesting gameplay choices, but I doubt it would change his power level and place in the metagame at all.

agreed, but I think it would make him more playable, and considering the small programing effort it would take, it would be better than as is. No he's not gonna be top tier, but he might move up a rung on the playable ladder. My only other fix if you are going to leave as is, is to make the self matches more damaging. So Ambush might do 500 if I match it, and I can steal 1 AP of each color by self matching purple, and maybe I stun current target 1 turn if I self match. Then it would be more of an active/passive ability. I activate Ambush, and now it is passive as long as I match red after that.
  • I dunno, your improvements are interesting because it would be nice if red wasn't used, but I don't see that as a fix so much as a sidegrade. The overwriting thing absolutely needs to be fixed, because the random possibility of the trap hitting a mark is a risky gameplay we know about going in, and some of us like the element of surprise. But to have most characters be able to overwrite the traps, well then, that's not just risk, that's heading into liability land. And since traps are all he does, that makes the character an impotent lamebutt, even though he's actually got a crotch unlike Ken doll Magneto.
  • I think it might be interesting if instead of creating traps that his enemies couldn't see, he created tiles that neither team could see but had the same beneficial effects no matter who matches them.

So, for instance, after using Ambush, you'd want to continue to match red in hopes of finding your Ambush tile and setting it off (for full effect).

The numbers would probably have to be retuned on some of his abilities, of course.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it. But copy what you have here and put it at the end of the main Daredevil discussion instead.
  • ToryTory
    ToryTory Posts: 77 Match Maker
    I like the trap concept, just not on all three abilities. DD is renowned for his fighting sense and his intellect, not only laying in ambush. D3 should really revisit DD since he has tons of potential just poor execution.

That being said, the easiest way to fix him is to change his traps to an environmental like Force bubbles or webtiles. This way enemies can make all the strike tiles they want, but it'd just have a trap surrounding the strike tile. Boom lazy man fix.