Secondary Characters Need Love

palenoue
palenoue Posts: 63 Match Maker
Right now the best strategy is to focus exclusively on three characters and ignore the rest. You need to give us a reason to play all those secondary characters we've accumulated.

One possibility is to give out bonus points for using a character in a battle they haven't been in yet. If you use three new ones you get +30 points, if you use two new ones and a level 40 main character you get less points because it's not really a fight when you use a vastly superior character against low-level baddies.

Comments

• They boost characters in events all the time. For example, villians give you best chance to win in Lightning Rounds. Then there's characters who excel in PVE like Hawkeye, Cap, o.Widow, etc.
  • palenoue
    The problem with all that is they assign you pre-made characters, so the Thor you're fighting with isn't the Thor in your roster. And the PvP matches are usually incredibly lopsided. I'm either way more powerful than the opposing team or I don't have a chance of inflicting even a little damage before being obliterated. They really need to work on more balanced PvP matches.

How about this: random street encounters. This has been a staple of Marvel for a long time, quick one-issue fights to fill the gaps between larger story lines. When a player taps the "Random Fight" button the game takes one, two or three of his lowest characters and pits them again opponents who are one or two level higher. The text could say that your characters went out for a pizza but on their way encountered The Sinister Six (minus three), or you get in an argument with The Thing over football teams and things get out of hand, or you're enjoying lunch at a sidewalk cafe when Lady Stilt Man steps on your table while fleeing a daylight robbery. Some of the most enjoyable Marvel comics were one-shots like these.
  • palenoue wrote:
    The problem with all that is they assign you pre-made characters, so the Thor you're fighting with isn't the Thor in your roster.

No, you can use your own, but have to select it manually. In the upcoming patch, the highest level version will be selected by default.

Matchmaking is based on how well you place in tournaments, not on character power.
  • palenoue
    Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't understand how they were matching me up with opponents. Either they were way too powerful or so weak I'd win matches with very little damage. This isn't a good way to run the matches. What if three people with level 80 characters played three fights and stopped? Everybody after them would win two fights then get slaughtered, and those powerful enough to survive wouldn't have anyone to match up against after breaking through.

While I do like the challenges and PvP, they need to develop a better system for matching teams.
  • palenoue wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't understand how they were matching me up with opponents. Either they were way too powerful or so weak I'd win matches with very little damage. This isn't a good way to run the matches. What if three people with level 80 characters played three fights and stopped? Everybody after them would win two fights then get slaughtered, and those powerful enough to survive wouldn't have anyone to match up against after breaking through.

While I do like the challenges and PvP, they need to develop a better system for matching teams.

Good thing that they did that already then.

Tournaments are seeded with starter teams, which are teams ranging from single digits to teens to mid-level and even a few high level ones. You'll see them until there are enough teams in your matchmaking group to fill things up.

And if you're new to PvP you'd never see those three teams of L80 characters -- they're likely to have been playing PvP for awhile and are in another matchmaking group entirely. Maybe if they tank on tournaments for awhile they'd get put back in the newb group, but it will only take a few matches before that's changed.