*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• locked wrote:
    While I've paired Hood with mStorm and they turned out to be amazing in AP generation, I took oBW as my third and they all did pitifully small damage icon_e_biggrin.gif It's uber-safe against all-goons fights though, same way as cStorm/MMN/Hood (but with less damage lol).
    8sYmdMfl.png

I'd say go for BP/Hood/mStorm against 1 villain + 2 goons or 3 goons, BP will tank for Hood nicely and mStorm only needs 5 red to get going. Cast BP yellow off environment, then Rage and game over.

Excellent Strategy for PVE.

Anyone know how its decided who tanks if 2 characters have the same match damage? Ie Max level Hood and BP. I have always kept my Hood lower for fear he might be out front.

They need to make a character that creates enviromental tiles. Like the goons media coverage countdown tile except hopefully not an actual countdown. Maybe a 3* Storm ability.
  • In case of ties, the tiebreaker is their position on your team, with center > left > right. Note that tile strength is only rounded to the nearest 1, so what appears to be equal strength is not always a tie. However, if the two characters have a tie and are of the same rarity and level, then it is indeed a tie since all the characters with the same rarity uses the same formula for the color strength. That is, any two 3* uses the exact formula for their strongest color, second strongest color, and third strongest color. Therefore equal level and equal rarity tie means they are indeed exactly equal.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Not sure if this has been pointed out before, but I just noticed that the Hood deals damage with Twin Pistols based on his tile strength only, not the team's. I ran rainbow team of lvl 85 oBW, lvl 102 Punisher and lvl 108 Hood, and Twin Pistols regularly dealt only ~500 damage, with the average damage per tile being 28. If the highest tile strengths were calculated every time, Twin Pistols would be dealing at least 700-800 damage.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was using Hood+Cap against a level 230 team, and Cap got out 2 red and 2 blue shield throws, and Hood popped Intimidation.

I only had Intimidation at 3, so only 3 of Cap's counters got reduced. For the first time, I was thinking that I didn't have intimidation high enough.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was using Hood+Cap against a level 230 team, and Cap got out 2 red and 2 blue shield throws, and Hood popped Intimidation.

I only had Intimidation at 3, so only 3 of Cap's counters got reduced. For the first time, I was thinking that I didn't have intimidation high enough.

So what would you want to give up? If Intimidation wasn't random I could see possibly going x/x/5 but since you never know what tiles it will reduce I just can't see going past 3 in covers
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards

I think if you have 4 cap tiles out, you're probably already winning that game and don't need the extra boost from intimidate to begin with icon_e_biggrin.gif More than 3 levels in it seems like win more, and thats not worth sacrificing twin pistols not ending the turn or the ap stealing.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    True, true .... I had that game locked. But it was the first time in many plays that having Intimidation 4 would have been slightly useful.

Works great with Cap's powers. Who else has good Countdowns? I've used Intimidation on Iron Man's Recharge, and MagnetoMN's Red (awesome combo).

Good: Human Torch, Iron Man, Ares, m.Hawkeye, MagnetoMN
    Meh: BP, WolvX, Psylocke, Hulk, Punisher

Hawkeye really needs a "placed shots" buff.
  • Phaserhawk
    True, true .... I had that game locked. But it was the first time in many plays that having Intimidation 4 would have been slightly useful.

Works great with Cap's powers. Who else has good Countdowns? I've used Intimidation on Iron Man's Recharge, and MagnetoMN's Red (awesome combo).

Good: Human Torch, Iron Man, Ares, m.Hawkeye, MagnetoMN
    Meh: BP, WolvX, Psylocke, Hulk, Punisher

Hawkeye really needs a "placed shots" buff.

I think Human Torch could be dangerous if you didn't time it right, since it's going to sap even more green AP from you when you do it
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

So what would you want to give up? If Intimidation wasn't random I could see possibly going x/x/5 but since you never know what tiles it will reduce I just can't see going past 3 in covers

At 5 covers its all countdown tiles so not random.
  • Personally I think intimidation would be better if instead of just increasing the number of tiles affected it increased the reduction. If Lvl 5 intimidation reduced by 2 I think you would start seeing some 3/5/5 builds.
  • Phaserhawk
    Rorex wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

At 5 covers its all countdown tiles so not random.

I did not know that, thanks, however, how often am I going to have more than 3 CD tiles out to justify going past lvl 3 Intimidation.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Rorex wrote:
    Personally I think intimidation would be better if instead of just increasing the number of tiles affected it increased the reduction. If Lvl 5 intimidation reduced by 2 I think you would start seeing some 3/5/5 builds.

Yearggh ... That would be a very interesting buff. I would be severally torn on how to build him. Which is how all characters should be, really. When a character has one skill that's meh, then that skill should be boosted a bit.
  • Yeah Currently I would never do a 3/5/5 build but if it reduced countdown by two I would consider it. I mean with Lazy Cap that would be epic. It seem s like more and more characters have countdown tiles. He could use a little buffing even Hoods yellow is only okay. I would certianly pick Ares', Spidey's or BP's yellow over Hoods.
  • Phaserhawk
    Rorex wrote:
    Yeah Currently I would never do a 3/5/5 build but if it reduced countdown by two I would consider it. I mean with Lazy Cap that would be epic. It seem s like more and more characters have countdown tiles. He could use a little buffing even Hoods yellow is only okay. I would certianly pick Ares', Spidey's or BP's yellow over Hoods.

His yellow isn't as espensive as it seems. If you level fully it's 15 AP. If you play the board right he's gonna steal you 2-5 yellow pretty quickly, knocking that character down to 10-13 AP. What it needs is a bit of a damage boost, I always thought it should 2x tile damage or just have a flat damage rate, but AP costwise I think it's pretty good when you think about the true power of the skill.
  • i personally think the hood is kinda under-rated. But i dun have maxed covers for him. I am getting to see its pretty interesting to have his blue at lvl4. I feel he's quite fun to play with. With the introduction of human torch, i guess more people will be using him ? I always wanted to play him with modern hawkeye. But both had too low HP already....
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Rorex wrote:
    Yeah Currently I would never do a 3/5/5 build but if it reduced countdown by two I would consider it. I mean with Lazy Cap that would be epic. It seems like more and more characters have countdown tiles. He could use a little buffing even Hoods yellow is only okay. I would certianly pick Ares', Spidey's or BP's yellow over Hoods.

His yellow isn't as espensive as it seems. If you level fully it's 15 AP. If you play the board right he's gonna steal you 2-5 yellow pretty quickly, knocking that character down to 10-13 AP. What it needs is a bit of a damage boost, I always thought it should 2x tile damage or just have a flat damage rate, but AP costwise I think it's pretty good when you think about the true power of the skill.

A damage boost would certianly make it more appealing. Currently from purely an AP generation point of view its 15AP to generate 18AP which really is just okay (by the way how do your generate AP by shooting someone). It certianly has uses like clearing countdown, strike and attack tiles but as you mentioned the damage is poor with really no scaling other then match damage.

I do certianly think that I would go 3/5/5 if at lvl 5 intimidation reduced all countdowns by 2. Intimidation costs 9AP which is much easier to get and I think with HT, BP, Psylocke, Punisher, etc all trying to get black its more likely that your stealing black AP then yellow. I mean at lvl 3 yellow is still going to generate 18AP, only cost 16AP (1 Ap more) and end the turn but I would gladly trade that for the synergy that would come from being able to reduced all countdowns by 2.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plus, it's a huge pain to get 5 yellow
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Oh, that's where part of the '9 or 10 tiles required' confusion stems from.
    At level 3, Dormammu's Aid requires more than 10 tiles. But the preview for level 4 says: Requires 9 tiles. It's untrue because at level 4 it requires more than 9 tiles, ditto for level 5 (also steal black and yellow).
    I will also ask in suggestions to change the preview for level 4 to 'Requires more than 9 tiles', because this is quite misleading.
    S6M5039l.png
  • Phaserhawk
    Well after the last Army of One, my thoughts have been confirmed. The Hood is top tier awesome
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm sad I didn't push more before the LR nerfs. still need 2 yellows and a blue