*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Comments

• HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    The hood and I are besties now. I hope he asks me to prom. I was able to use hood obw and patch to get like 300 pts above everyone in the hood tournament then shield smacked me with a newspaper and said "no!"

One thing that wasn't obvious to me until I started using him is if you use twin pistols at less then 5 it ends the turn AND leaves him in front.

Also, this is where I have to include my obligatory boo'ing of the fat man. We're still cool though hail mary. *hugs it out*
    Round Thor's corpulence is simply a sign of his wealth and power. Bask in the warm hug of his pillowy arms. huuuuuuug.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    I tried to field the Hood, the Punisher and classic Magneto in the Hood tourney, one game was enough for me not to want to do that anymore. My Magneto isn't that high level yet, but would it matter with the buff? The freaking Hood tanked 4 colours (his + purple). 4 colours goddammit. I just shut up and went back to Hood/oBW/Ares combo, where at least purple still goes to oBW.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    high level cmags is great
    Sure you gotta health pack the hood or prologue heal

but hood crit dmg + mags blue omg
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    I am officially a fan of The Hood. I don't have enough covers (2-4-1) but having 4 blue is quite useful. I finally decided to level him up a bit for his pvp and the simulator. Took him from 30 to 66 which has helped in both events...I wish his health was a little better though.
  • Yep. I have a new appreciation for him. Was always scared he would be too squishy but he still is great. With my pve scaled to many 230s, hood, spidey, and fat thor are BFFs.
  • Hood is one of the best support characters. He doesn't deal heavy damage (leave that to the guy with a hammer) but has amazing utility. 5 in blue means you can steal 1 of every color and that brings the requirements down to 9 on the board. 9 of any color is pretty easy to come by. It slows down placing down countdown timers and the pace of the game. His black does a little damage, is moderate is casting speed. (takes 9 black to use). and if you use countdowns yourself...makes it very useful. His yellow costs a bit more but GENERATES ap and if maxed it doesn't end the turn. Good for taking out countdowns, setting up combos or getting that last bit of AP for another color to use a skill.

He does overpower OBW in Black making her black less useful as you level up hood. And if he's powered up he takes her blue as well. Which is good and bad...he can hide her from damage but her extra damage ability from black/blue/purple does not proc. Don't think many changes will happen to him anytime soon. he's good but not game breaking. One of few very balanced characters to have in my opinion.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    In rounds 1&2 of the Simulator, I was using the buffed Black Panther in almost every match.

But in round 3, I was back to using the buffed Hood in every match, along with buffed LThor. Usually with Mags or Spiderman to cover purple, I like rainbow teams. I didn't use Black Panther at all.

Both Hood + Mags and Hood + Spidey are strong combos with a lot of speed and denial. It's fun to have Hood do 5 rounds of AP drain while Spidey keeps a team in stunlock.

I look forward to seeing Hood, cStorm, and MN Mags buffed again. That's my favorite surprise team, because they look doomed until they get purple, red, yellow, or green AP high enough, and then they are unstoppable, all with powers that generate more AP than they spend.
  • over_clocked
    ^ But Panther wasn't buffed until Round 3. Hood was buffed throughout the whole event.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Copied from a color discussion.

Perusing all of this, here are my thoughts:

Human Torch should be Red/Black/Yellow and not Red/Black/Green
    The Hood should be Yellow/Purple/Black and not Yellow/Blue/Black

Magneto's strong tiles should match his powers.

The Hood has a AP stealing power, and that should be Purple. There is no Yellow/Purple/Black character, and likely no-one depends on his passive being Blue. The Hood could use a slight buff, so lets give an incentive for collecting purple.
      Dormammu’s Aid - Purple Passive
      (PASSIVE) The Dread One is always working in Parker’s life. Each turn there are more than 11 Blue or Purple tiles on the board, steal 1 AP of that color.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Requires 10 tiles. Level 3: Also steal Red and Green. Level 4: Requires 9 tiles. If Parker's team has 20 Purple AP, 2 AP is stolen instead of 1 AP. Level 5: Also steal Black and Yellow

How many agree/disagree that The Hood should be Yellow/Purple/Black and not Yellow/Blue/Black?
    • Copied from a color discussion.

The Hood has a AP stealing power, and that should be Purple. There is no Yellow/Purple/Black character, and likely no-one depends on his passive being Blue. The Hood could use a slight buff, so lets give an incentive for collecting purple.
        (PASSIVE) The Dread One is always working in Parker’s life. Each turn there are more than 11 Blue or Purple tiles on the board, steal 1 AP of that color.
        Level Upgrades
          Level 2: Requires 10 tiles. Level 3: Also steal Red and Green. Level 4: Requires 9 tiles. If Parker's team has 20 Purple AP, 2 AP is stolen instead of 1 AP. Level 5: Also steal Black and Yellow

How many agree/disagree that The Hood should be Yellow/Purple/Black and not Yellow/Blue/Black?

You arguement for it is certianly sound. Stealing AP, with the exception of Hood and Psylocke, is always done with purple. Of course this would make an argument for Psylocke being Red/Black/Purple not Red/Black/Blue which I am not against. My main concern with changing Hoods blue to purple would be cover. Idealy you want to be able to match without Hood being at risk and while with purple he could be covered by Spidey, DD or BWGS none of them are really tanky. Spidey and DD have 5800 hp and BWGS 5075. Where as currently BP has 7250 second to only the new Thor and Hulk. BP has the exact same color order meaning that if you keep your Hood at lvl 139 he will be completely safe on offense. Of course they could also change BP to Yellow/Purple/Black being as his blue generates protect tiles something common to both Blue and Purple.
      • NorthernPolarity
        NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
        Copied from a color discussion.

Level Upgrades

Based on Psylocke it seems like AP stealing bleeds into blue as well, so I don't think this change is too necessary as it doesn't really add too much to the game except changing the compositions that Hood is good/bad in, which seems more like changing an ability just for the sake of changing it. I think that the small buff is interesting though, but am not sure if Hood really needs it given how strong he already is. It would be cool to see more abilities with conditions like that though.
        • Nonce Equitaur 2
          For a 3* team trying to cover purple, there are Mags/Spidey, then BWGS, then Loki/Daredevil. OBW is seen more than Loki/Daredevil. Purple is under-covered in the 3* characters.

To fix that, this tweak to The Hood seems the most natural.
        • For a 3* team trying to cover purple, there are Mags/Spidey, then BWGS, then Loki/Daredevil. OBW is seen more than Loki/Daredevil. Purple is under-covered in the 3* characters.

Do comm. mods get any insight into future updates? icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

With that being said....I actually like it at blue....he can soak hits for my o.bw but she still gets matches for purple. Either way...blue and purple are almost always support colors so it works for me.
        • Puritas
          Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
          For a 3* team trying to cover purple, there are Mags/Spidey, then BWGS, then Loki/Daredevil. OBW is seen more than Loki/Daredevil. Purple is under-covered in the 3* characters.

Do comm. mods get any insight into future updates? icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif

Nop.
          Nor gameplay mechanics
          nor development insight
        • Nonce Equitaur 2
          Puritas wrote:

Nop.
          Nor gameplay mechanics
          nor development insight

We're required to know less than you do.
        • NorthernPolarity
          NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards

I guess this would be a good short term solution to that problem: I think just adding more 3* purple characters in the future is a better long term solution to fix this issue though. Characters with passive abilities aren't generally considered to cover the color as they can't do anything with the AP: Patch doesn't really cover yellow, for example. Your idea of making it do something else after an AP threshold is a cool idea of making passive abilities active in a sense, but it probably needs further tweaking: the ability is probably too weak right now to be considered a replacement for an active purple, since it takes too much time to get to 20 purple AP. I think some sort of gradual scaling might work: each 5AP gained in purple steals an additional random colored AP (although that would probably be too broken), for example.
        • The Hood doesn't need a buff in his ability, but I think purple and yellow needs to be represented better. Yellow is pretty much only covered by Thor, and purple is only covered by Magneto. I think Psylocke is a much better candidate for covering purple over The Hood, though.
        • Hood is one of the best support characters. He doesn't deal heavy damage (leave that to the guy with a hammer) but has amazing utility. 5 in blue means you can steal 1 of every color and that brings the requirements down to 9 on the board. 9 of any color is pretty easy to come by. It slows down placing down countdown timers and the pace of the game. His black does a little damage, is moderate is casting speed. (takes 9 black to use). and if you use countdowns yourself...makes it very useful. His yellow costs a bit more but GENERATES ap and if maxed it doesn't end the turn. Good for taking out countdowns, setting up combos or getting that last bit of AP for another color to use a skill.

He does overpower OBW in Black making her black less useful as you level up hood. And if he's powered up he takes her blue as well. Which is good and bad...he can hide her from damage but her extra damage ability from black/blue/purple does not proc. Don't think many changes will happen to him anytime soon. he's good but not game breaking. One of few very balanced characters to have in my opinion.

There must be 10 tiles, not 9. The skill reads there must be more than 9. I've tested it, it requires 10.
        • Shamusyeah wrote:
          There must be 10 tiles, not 9. The skill reads there must be more than 9. I've tested it, it requires 10.

That got me thinking: did anyone try to pair Hood with Modern Storm? Once her Red goes off, most (if not all) the environment tile will go away, leaving 64 tiles for only 6 colors. Statically speaking, we should be able to steal nearly every color once the turn end.

Also, I dont have a high level panther (or the cover for that matter), but pairing him with Hood, it could be interesting to hunt for the enviro tiles, increasing the odds to reach the threshold of 10 per color, and loading up his yellow power. What do you think?
        • over_clocked
          While I've paired Hood with mStorm and they turned out to be amazing in AP generation, I took oBW as my third and they all did pitifully small damage icon_e_biggrin.gif It's uber-safe against all-goons fights though, same way as cStorm/MMN/Hood (but with less damage lol).
          8sYmdMfl.png

I'd say go for BP/Hood/mStorm against 1 villain + 2 goons or 3 goons, BP will tank for Hood nicely and mStorm only needs 5 red to get going. Cast BP yellow off environment, then Rage and game over.