Limited Roster Spots - Ditching unused 2* for 3*/4*

Options
As a general roster strategy, does it make sense to drop unused 2* characters (multiple covers but not leveled too much) to free up roster spots for 3* or 4* characters with only a single cover (as eventually you will be migrating from the 2* to the 3* characters). When leveling up 3* characters down the road it will be easy to re-acquire and level any 2* characters you decide you want again, yes?

Two details: currently leveling 2* Wolverine, Thor, Capt. A, OBW, Classic Storm, Ares, Magneto. Any reason not to drop low level Dakken/Moonstone for Ragnarok/X-force Wolverine. Drop them before dropping level 40 Jugs/Venom?

Comments

• What does your full roster look like? Have you already dropped chars like Bag-man and CHawkeye?

Personally, I'd drop low level Daken/Moonstone before maxed Jug/Venom, but only if I never intend to use Daken/Moonstone even when buffed. I'd keep all covers for collection's sake if possible ;D
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Look through the Character Rankings.
  • The only time Daken should be low level is when you first get him!

I've held on to most of my 2 Stars, only never bothered with Hawkeye & Bullseye. Most 2 stars are worth keeping around as they are often boosted in PVEs & PVPs. I've also kept on IM, Storm, Bw & Juggs for the one star PVPs.

As far as holding on to Rags, he's not that great a character, I'd have no problem dumping him. It's going to be a longtime before xForce Wolvie is useful to you, so I would jettison him too. Their ISO is of more value to you.
  • Strongly considering this myself as the price of roster spots gets high and I collect ever more 3* covers.

I already sold all my 1* characters except Venom (because Team Spidey-Venom is hilariously effective vs 230/230/230 PVE nodes) and Modern Widow (and frankly I can probably just sell her now too, but I'm waiting to see what happens when Spidey is funbalanced just in case I end up needing her stun on the roster after all). There are several 2* characters who I never bothered putting on the roster to begin with (Captain America, Daken, Bullseye, Bagman) and I might sell Moonstone since I never use her. I've never bothered levelling Ares but he's rather good so I'll probably keep him around.

The question starts to become whether it is worth keeping 3* characters who I'm not going to make an efforts to collect covers for and who kinda suck (I'm looking at you, Daredevil, and you, thundergodmcnerfynerf). I don't really want to do that until we see what goes on with funbalancing either, though. A few hundred HP is still not a major price to pay for a new spot.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    almalik wrote:
    Two details: currently leveling 2* Wolverine, Thor, Capt. A, OBW, Classic Storm, Ares, Magneto. Any reason not to drop low level Dakken/Moonstone for Ragnarok/X-force Wolverine. Drop them before dropping level 40 Jugs/Venom?
    Rags isn't that good now. If I were roster-starved right now, I'd've seriously considered selling off my two-cover Rags.

Daken is great, and I somewhat regret not building him when I had the chance.

Moonstone is/was buffed fairly often in PvE. That's my only use for her. (The same goes for 2* Cap)

XWolv: quite rare, and quite useless for now. Good to keep, though, simply due to rarity.

In general: I've sold a couple of Loki covers back when I was roster-starved, since he's a very niche character. For 1*, I've only kept IM35 + MBW + MStorm, and of those, I keep IM35 around solely for the occasional 1*-only tourney. Daredevil is buffed in PvE fairly regularly, otherwise he's pretty useless.
  • Other than Bagman/Bullseye/Modern Hawkeye/Moonstone, I wouldnt consider selling a 2* cover unless that person is already max covered the way you want them covered. Hell, I even keep around a moonstone and a modern hawkeye for powered up pve nodes, and in case they ever require them for some dumb reason. First thing I would try to do before selling a cover is getting the HP to buy a new spot. First thing - if you arent in an alliance, join one! My alliance has been my biggest source of HP over the last few weeks, netting me enough so that I dont have to worry about cover spots anymore. Secondly, make sure you have grabbed all the HP from the prologue. There is a guide on here in the tips and tricks forumt hat will show you where that HP is hiding. Thirdly, keep in mind you can hold onto them for a while before they expire, so before you sell anything you should make an extra effort over the next few days to really try and rank high enough to win that HP you need for the new cover spot.
  • HailMary
    Options
    kermitk50 wrote:
    Secondly, make sure you have grabbed all the HP from the prologue. There is a guide on here in the tips and tricks forumt hat will show you where that HP is hiding. Thirdly, keep in mind you can hold onto them for a while before they expire, so before you sell anything you should make an extra effort over the next few days to really try and rank high enough to win that HP you need for the new cover spot.

Oh, yeah! If you haven't yet, read this: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3939
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I strongly advise holding on to one of all the characters -- you never know when they'll be needed for a special event or an oddball required-character node.
  • HailMary
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    I strongly advise holding on to one of all the characters -- you never know when they'll be needed for a special event or an oddball required-character node.
    True... unless it's Bag-Man or Yelena. Ain't no one ever gots a need for them. icon_lol.gif
  • DayvBang wrote:

Does this apply to all star levels?

The only required characters I've seen are 3* or 4*. I've never seen a 2* or 1* required character for a PvE event. I currently have at least one cover of every 3* for that reason.

I am also starting to think of selling off my 2*'s, though - Hawkeye and Moonstone being the top candidates, following by 2* cap since I should have a decently covered 3* soon.
  • I haven't found a compelling argument on why anyone would keep (a low leveled) Bullseye, Bagman or Dakan. The rare times they are featured/required is in PvP events and you can easily cover their absence with other (better) characters.
  • Three star is the most common rarity for required nodes, but 2 stars are occasionally required too. Cap was required at some nodes a couple of events back. Boosting also makes 2* worth using, and pvp events feature all sorts of characters
  • Ruval wrote:
    DayvBang wrote:

Does this apply to all star levels?

The only required characters I've seen are 3* or 4*. I've never seen a 2* or 1* required character for a PvE event. I currently have at least one cover of every 3* for that reason.

I am also starting to think of selling off my 2*'s, though - Hawkeye and Moonstone being the top candidates, following by 2* cap since I should have a decently covered 3* soon.

While 2* heroes haven't been required in PvE events, they are often buffed, and therefore worth hanging on to. Buffed Ares, for example, during the last event was better than many of the 3* heroes. I used him extensively.

Bottom line is deciding how much time/effort you are going to commit to this game. If you see yourself investing a significant amount of time and effort, then I would recommend hanging on to as many heroes as you can, since most get featured sooner or later. Spend HP and open up those roster spots!

If you think you are only going to play the game casually, then all the advice given above is good. The only thing I would add is I would never sell a 3* or 4* cover, because you may eventually come to regret it down the road, like I and others have.
  • Honestly I am having trouble seeing how people are having this much trouble getting cover spots. Sure it was difficult when we all first start and all covers are new and require slots, but over time, and with the advent of alliances, cover slots have become very easy to get. Get in a good alliance and plan your events properly and you should be able to net 500 HP a week VERY easily, probably more.

Why sell people when you can hold on to them for that oddball tourney you just KNOW they will come up with eventually! My advice is to keep a diverse roster. Keep your options open. Doesnt hurt to hang on to people.

Also:1*s have not been required in PVE, but there have been special "1* only" pvp events. Also, a daken when buffed in PVP is a true force to be reckoned with. Hell, I even find places to use him in a non-buffed tourney from time to time. Dont sell him, level him up icon_e_smile.gif