Destruction of token supports triggering "enter graveyard" effects [Investigating]

Options
Smokincookz
Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
edited 3 April 2024, 05:14 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues

I just got trounced by Liliana of the Veil in Colors of Magic- when she destroyed the enchantment tokens created by my Ajani, Invigorate Leadership, each one triggered her curse of the veil support.

Comments

• Xibvert
    Xibvert Posts: 55 Match Maker
    Options

I checked to see what the rules say about tokens.

The tooltip text is:
    Token
    This card is a token. If it is placed in your graveyard, library, hand or exile from anywhere, it is removed from the game instead.

It's worded kind of poorly because it seems to indicate that it does go to the graveyard but then at the end it says instead and retroactively makes it so that it never went to the graveyard and is removed from the game.

Since that's a little confusing I also checked this Article to see how it's defined.

https://d3go.helpshift.com/hc/en/4-magic-puzzle-quest/faq/164-magic-puzzle-quest---gallery-of-list-of-evergreens-abilities-keywords/

Token
    A Token is a Creature that is not represented by a regular card with a casting cost. When destroyed or exiled, it goes to the “out of game area” (not to the graveyard or to the exile area). It also can not get returned to the player’s hand.

It specifically only talks about token creatures but the entry is in the section label "Affects both creatures and other cards" so I'm presuming this applies to all tokens.

Based on the "instead" in the tooltip indicating to replace moving the token to anywhere that isn't in play with removing it from the game and the entry for the Token saying a destroyed token is removed from the game and doesn't go to the graveyard if this comes back as working as intended, then the wording in the tooltip and that article should definitely be revised.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 331 Mover and Shaker
    Options

It does seem like the MTGPQ rules are a little woolly here, and could use clarification.

I think, personally, it's important in cases like this to copy the rules of paper MTG wherever possible. There are people who design paper MTG whose job it is to make sure there are no inconsistencies in the rules, and in many cases we can use the work they do to make MTGPQ more consistent, too!

Rule 111.7 in the MTG Comprehensive Rules states:

111.7. A token that’s in a zone other than the battlefield ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)