Ascend one 4* to 550

Options
Tony_Foot
Tony_Foot Posts: 1,713 Chairperson of the Boards

So if you could chose one 4* to target to try to get to 550 which one would it be and why? I've been using my shards to get covers to feed my unfinished 5's but I can now see that's pretty pointless. I'm going to pump a four star, probably one that is good in pick 2. So which one?

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Assuming the metagame stays the same for the foreseeable future, I'd pick one of the m'Thor counters -- Alligator Loki, Cosmo, or (probably the best choice) Sebastian Shaw/Black King.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Thought someone said Polaris was the best

• HowDoIUnlockBatman
    HowDoIUnlockBatman Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Options

Legion. Because i have no idea what it is he is supposed to do or how he goes about achieving it and if he's was 550 then he'd do whatever it is a whole lot more or maybe not. Who knows? Are you going to take the chance that an AI controlled 550 legion wrecks your team or are you just going to skip? Yeah, that's what i thought.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

There are so many good ones to chose from. I myself have narrowed it down to karnak or juggernaut, with edge going to karnak

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm pretty much only using my ascended 4 stars when boosted, but the 2 I'm consistently using unboosted are Polaris with BRB and mthor. Can make the challenge nodes pretty fast and easy if there aren't many good boosted characters.

America Chavez with Colossus. Bring ap boosts and crits she spams do serious damage with colossus match damage boost.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 713 Critical Contributor
    Options

I've only played against maybe a third of ascended 4*s and the biggest thorns in my side are the damage reducers. Blob or Rogue get my vote.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 22 March 2024, 17:42
    Options

I chase high health and defensive attributes. But that's me. I like characters that extend the length of matches. People don't like long matches in PvP. It also gives the stupid AI more chances to do something right and it needs all the opportunities it can get.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:
    I'm pretty much only using my ascended 4 stars when boosted, but the 2 I'm consistently using unboosted are Polaris with BRB and mthor. Can make the challenge nodes pretty fast and easy if there aren't many good boosted characters.

America Chavez with Colossus. Bring ap boosts and crits she spams do serious damage with colossus match damage boost.

I really don't know, so I want to be clear that I'm asking -- does Polaris at 5* differ that much from the 4* version, in practice?

Without having used her much, Polaris is a character that's usable at 4*, with certain 5* partners. If you're going to run her with those partners anyway, does ascending her improve her?

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,010 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 22 March 2024, 18:09
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

I really don't know, so I want to be clear that I'm asking -- does Polaris at 5* differ that much from the 4* version, in practice?

Without having used her much, Polaris is a character that's usable at 4*, with certain 5* partners. If you're going to run her with those partners anyway, does ascending her improve her?

I didn't specifically ascend her to run this combo (I've just been ascended everyone as soon as I'm able to) so I already had her ascended before I started using it, but you're right. She doesn't NEED to be ascended for this combo to work, but the extra health as a 5 star will help her survive longer if some one on the challenge node manages to fire off an AOE and the extra bits of damage on her attacks will make things a bit faster.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@BriMan2222 said:

@entrailbucket said:

@BriMan2222 said:

I didn't specifically ascend her to run this combo (I've just been ascended everyone as soon as I'm able to) so I already had her ascended before I started using it, but you're right. She doesn't NEED to be ascended for this combo to work, but the extra health as a 5 star will help her survive longer if some one on the challenge node manages to fire off an AOE and the extra bits of damage on her attacks will make things a bit faster.

Yeah, and it'd make her a bit more valuable on defense too. I just wonder if that's the best way to go if you're only picking one, like OP.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I love that there’s been a variety of answers so far

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 572 Critical Contributor
    Options

Chavez/killmonger/Colossus has been one of my favourite PvP teams for a while. Either match or leave the crit tiles and you'll be doing a LOT of damage. Now Chavez is a 5, it's even better.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 211 Tile Toppler
    Options

Grocket/Juggs and Nico/Polaris are strong pick 2 pairing. Only one not ascended is Polaris. Should have her done in a day or two. Coulson completes some great pick 3 teams. Any of these would be a good choice to focus on for a 550 push.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 553 Critical Contributor
    Options

Not having even ascended, I’d probably pick Doop. You can build him so many ways to shore up whichever pick-2 or pick-3 you’re running. It’s amazing that he’s gone virtually unnoticed in the new ascension scene.

• captainheath
    captainheath Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options

Does anyone have Doop ascended? I'd love to see the stats.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 24 March 2024, 13:41
    Options

I have to be honest, I don’t really pay any attention to the multi characters like Doop, Echo, or Legion. I was super stoked about Taskmaster at the time, but since he is limited I kinda forgot about him too. I liked giving him speed shot and running him with 2* Hawkeye to do countdown spam on blue and purple in balance of power.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@captainheath said:
    Does anyone have Doop ascended? I'd love to see the stats.

I do! It'd be pretty unpleasant to screenshot and post every power here, so you can just look him up in my roster. I'm in the alliance Clochards.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Tony_Foot said:
    So if you could chose one 4* to target to try to get to 550 which one would it be and why? I've been using my shards to get covers to feed my unfinished 5's but I can now see that's pretty pointless. I'm going to pump a four star, probably one that is good in pick 2. So which one?

Well, hey, you can work on 4s and 5s at the same time! Favoriting a 5 pays off much faster than feeding one via a 4.

That said ... hate to be "cult of the new"-y, but based on use thus far, I will say Shaw. Interesting design, but clearly needs levels, not only for better performance, but simply to keep from getting himself killed. Since he's going to tank everything, he needs either all the beef he can get, or friends that spam and buff protect tiles.