wrenn and realmbreaker (cascade failure) [Investigating]

Options
Julie71
Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

when using this walker and certain cards, this causes a cascade failure, and or a soft lock. I will combine this post with the other post seems az of it happens quite a lot in the new coalition event. I have sent multiple pics and a video. @Magic:PQ Support Team
now if did notice a comment made by another player that it maybe replicated using another walker with see if I can replicate that for you.

Comments

• Julie71
    Options

please I need some information.
    be as detailed as possible. I you have a soft lock during sf1,
    1. what node
    2. what walker were you using
    3. lock in your turn or Greg's
    4. how long was the game running.
    5. any screenshots please post them.
    I appreciate everyones effort to be as detailed as possible.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/89752/survivors-of-four-tribes-part-1#latest

• Julie71
    Options

It was turn 26, the end of Greg's turn. It should be on the 2nd picture I sent.

• Julie71
    edited 29 January 2024, 14:22
    Options

It was turn 26, the end of Greg's turn. It should be on the 2nd picture I sent.

@York8828 anything else you can remember??

• AcidRhapsody
    AcidRhapsody Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    edited 29 January 2024, 14:46
    Options

Node 1.2
    Wrenn and Realmbreaker
    My Turn
    Not sure maybe an hour?

I had just used A3 and swapped green somehow Titania flipped(i think she got brought back wath the A3 token) as you can see I have the flipped one o. The board, but Argoth triggered a few seconds earlier but also the sunken citadel came into play from Titanias melded side triggering its ETB effect(I think)

• Psychomachia
    Psychomachia Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    edited 30 January 2024, 16:45
    Options

@AcidRhapsody said:
    Node 1.2
    Wrenn and Realmbreaker
    My Turn
    Not sure maybe an hour?

I had just used A3 and swapped green somehow Titania flipped(i think she got brought back wath the A3 token) as you can see I have the flipped one o. The board, but Argoth triggered a few seconds earlier but also the sunken citadel came into play from Titanias melded side triggering its ETB effect(I think)

This is, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), not limited to SFT1. I had the same thing happen to me in the Revolving Planswalk today. It seems to be a more general issue with Wrenn's 3rd ability than just the event environment.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Wrenn & Realmbreaker
    Node 1.2 of SOFT1
    Game had been up maybe 5-10 minutes max
    Freeze on my turn when Tortoise was cast and brought out a Citadel. Note that this occurred after I generated Rich Soil tokens. Prior to that Citadel worked fine.

• Psychomachia
    edited 3 February 2024, 15:13
    Options

I think I figured it out...
    When you have Wrenn's 3rd ability support "Rich Soil" in play and make a green swap that happens to resurrect the Tortoise which happens to bring the Sunken Citadel into play with its EtB effect, the board state is still in the process of the "swap-making", so to speak, where no new gems have been falling down onto the board. The Citadel needs to calculate the colour distribution as soon as it comes into play, but since the board isn't refilled yet after the swap (since everything happens basically at the same time), the Citadel doesn't know which colour is the most prominent one on the board and simply... freezes.
    I only have this type of soft-lock with this planeswalker when exactly this combination plays out like this. Remove the Citadel or the Tortoise and everything works just fine. It also works fine when the resurrected Tortoise does not bring the Citadel into play, but any other land instead.

Just as an edit: Bringing the Tortoise into play by any other means and the Citadel with it works fine as well. ONLY when the Tortoise and then the Citadel enter play via the "Rich Soil" does the game lock up.

• Psychomachia
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team, I did a couple of test runs with a coalition mate. The exact same lock-up is not exclusively related to Wrenn & Realmbreaker, only to the Citadel.
    When the Tortoise and the Citadel come into play via the Aftermath gem from the rare spell "Reason", for example, the board freezes as well.

Even easier to replicate is that effect with the mythic artifact creature "Golos, Tireless Pilgrim". No Tortoise needed and it's irrelevant which planeswalker is used.

• souki12
    souki12 Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    edited 4 February 2024, 11:26
    Options

Soft lock on 2.3 with Dakkon. It could have been in turn 13 or 15. The True Scriptures (Sheoldred’s Saga) were returning bunch of stuff from the graveyards. The game locked when a Time Bubble was being created or right after that.

• Julie71
    Options

@Psychomachia said:
    @Magic:PQ Support Team, I did a couple of test runs with a coalition mate. The exact same lock-up is not exclusively related to Wrenn & Realmbreaker, only to the Citadel.
    When the Tortoise and the Citadel come into play via the Aftermath gem from the rare spell "Reason", for example, the board freezes as well.

Even easier to replicate is that effect with the mythic artifact creature "Golos, Tireless Pilgrim". No Tortoise needed and it's irrelevant which planeswalker is used.

thank you so much this helps a lot

• Psychomachia
    Options

@Julie71 said:
    thank you so much this helps a lot

Glad I could be of assistance. Hopefully my findings can help a bit to speed up the bug fixing process.

Just give me a shout-out if you need more information.

• Psychomachia
    Options

Quick heads-up: The green mythic creature "Primeval Titan", when brought into play via the "Rich Soil", leads to the same lock-up when it brings the Citadel with it.

The same happens when a different planeswalker is used and the Titan comes into play via the "Reason" Aftermath, as mentioned earlier.

• Pirhotek
    Pirhotek Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options

Had this failure happen this week on nearly half the games I have played with this PW. Just not going to play it anymore till it is fixed. I am guessing it has something to do with its Passive ability since it is always a freeze on matching. The deck I play has Sunken Citadel, The Kami War, Chimil, Blossoming Tortoise, Titan of Industry and Ghalta, Stampede Tyrant. I am not 100% sure but I think Rich Soil is always down when it happens.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options

This same issue happens with other planeswalkers when you try to return Sunken Citadel from the graveyard to play. A coalition mate had the same freeze with Kaya 1 PW, echoing deeps and sunken citadel.

• TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options

Has to do, presumably, with the game being unable to figure out what to do with equal counts of gems that are considered 'most' (or fewest) and then being unable to complete the correct follow up action (like with Rich Soil)

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Just had a freeze with sunken citadel.
    My board had 4 colours that had an identical number of gems (8) as the maximum, so I guess that your code freezes because of that.