Let's react to Release 6.5.0.

Options
Asylamb
Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
edited 2 March 2024, 16:21 in MtGPQ General Discussion

I personally don't have any bad feelings towards the upcoming update.
BUT.
Giving the full charges upfront treatment for the events that never needed it is camp.
Like, what has changed?

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,616 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Well you’ll just have to wait and see won’t you?

I hope the update will fix my Facebook login issue, which apparently I’m the only one to experience.

Secondly, I think the update seems to reflect that the devs are listening to some of the stuff the players have been requesting for years. That is a good sign even if the upcoming changes aren’t the “right” ones for you. Personally, what I have seen so far seems good.

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Asylamb said:
    I personally don't have any bad feelings towards the upcoming update.
    BUT.
    Giving the full charges upfront treatment for the events that never needed it is camp.
    Like, what has changed?

PvE events like Tour of Ravnica don't even have charges like that. It looks like they just listed all events in current rotation.

• Asylamb
    Options

@khurram That what why I was a bit confused by the list of the events. Some of them do have the "ladder" system, so my best guess was that every node is now separate and available from the start, instead of requiring to clear the previous node. And if that is the case, I don't know how I feel about it.

• Tremayne
    Options

How long will it be before the nerf-hammer hits?
    The power creep is real and the first spoilers seems to indicate that there is a lot of abuseable cards which apparently is a good thing (according to the YouTubers).

• Asylamb
    Options

@Tremayne enjoy the ride.

• Asylamb
    Options

Tour de Ravnica seems to have no changes whatsoever.

• pacha
    pacha Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    Options

Unexpected change not announced in release notes : casting HUF won't give any mana to spells with "stored mana".
    Prior to the update, it filled the spell with mana excluding the stored part.
    I don't understand why it now works like this.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Tremayne said:
    How long will it be before the nerf-hammer hits?

cough cough

• Tremayne
    Options

@Janosik - is that the worst candidate? It is fairly expensive, but in green that has plenty of conversion. It must be a PW that also have blue or black, or is there a green walker that can do something weird?

• Janosik
    Options

@Tremayne said:
    @Janosik - is that the worst candidate?

I don't know.. the set is new and I don't own much of it yet ^_^

Case of the Ransacked Lab obviously looks a lot like pre-nerf Baral (I wonder if Webcore are aware how similar it looks to a card that was sold for real currency and had to be nerfed in the past?), but I'm hearing reports that in practice Ransacked Lab, with it's additional restrictions, plays more like Wizard Class than pre-nerf Baral... whether or not you think Wizard Class should have been nerfed is another matter!

Chalk Outline just looks like it's going to ruin a lot of people's day. I couldn't believe it when I learned those Detective tokens are 2/2s. One single Cut Your Losses (CyL is already a tier 1 Standard card!) and you're off to the races. You don't even have to try to get a silly amount of power out of Chalk Outline (just playing the game puts cards into graveyards!), but if you DO try... hoo boy!

I'm not advocating for a pre-emptive nerf, mind you. Webcore are still relatively new to the game and don't necessarily know how to balance a format, which is a tricky procedure. The bizarre 'fix' to the Deploy the Gatewatch card didn't happen that long ago, did it... what was that about? And Standard is a crazy powerful format already, with Blossoming Tortoises and Ghaltas and Atraxas and Tainted Adversaries and a few infinite (or at least lethal) loops cropping up here and there. I'm just saying... I think nerfs are coming this year, especially if Webcore keep pushing the power creep. Hey, did anyone pay $80 for Rakdos?

• Tremayne
    Options

I have been up against Rakdos. He is insanely good. Didn’t notice it that much since I was testing in TG (and didn’t expect to win at that point) but in a Kalemne deck he is bonkers.

I’m sure WebCore will have to nerf some cards. It is typically the third set that is powered completely out of the stratosphere.

• Janosik
    Options

Oddly enough, even when I do get Chalk Outline, I probably won't play with it too much... not because it isn't broken, but because it's too broken... it's quite simply too hard to stop a card that powerful from killing your opponent once you play it, and that can result in lost objectives. I have the same problem with Huntmaster of the Fells, which I'd love to play more, but is too hard to keep under control ^_^

Of course, that won't necessarily stop other players playing it, so I expect I'll have to fight a bunch of Gregs who have it in their decks.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 293 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Janosik said:
    Oddly enough, even when I do get Chalk Outline, I probably won't play with it too much... not because it isn't broken, but because it's too broken... it's quite simply too hard to stop a card that powerful from killing your opponent once you play it, and that can result in lost objectives. I have the same problem with Huntmaster of the Fells, which I'd love to play more, but is too hard to keep under control ^_^

Of course, that won't necessarily stop other players playing it, so I expect I'll have to fight a bunch of Gregs who have it in their decks.

I also wont play it once I get it, but for a different reason. Any mass token generation card is a no go for me. The animations make them painful to play. If/when it starts showing up in gregs decks I'll be quitting out of a lot more games. It's not worth it to sit through greg creating 20+ tokens every turn.

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@pacha said:
    Unexpected change not announced in release notes : casting HUF won't give any mana to spells with "stored mana".
    Prior to the update, it filled the spell with mana excluding the stored part.
    I don't understand why it now works like this.

Same with Omniscience and Blue Sun's Zenith. It used to give the non-stored mana, now nothing.