MTGPQ Sneak Peek: February - Week 4 (UPDATED 02/23/24)

Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
edited 24 February 2024, 14:59 in MtGPQ General Discussion

(Important note: Anything listed below is subject to change before release. We will try to update any changes in a timely manner, but please keep in mind the info below is not guaranteed.)

PLANESWALKERS

The current list of Planeswalkers available in the Vault can be found HERE

CURRENT STANDARD FORMAT

Current Standard Format contains the following card sets:

• *Origins

• *Puzzle Masters

• The Lost Caverns of Ixalan

• Wilds of Eldraine
  • March of the Machines
  • Phyrexia: All Will Be One
  • The Brothers' War
  • Dominaria United
  • Jumpstart
  • Streets of New Capenna
  • Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
  • Innistrad: Crimson Vow
  • Innistrad: Midnight Hunt

*(Always in Standard Format)

EVENT SCHEDULE OVERVIEW

UPCOMING SINGLE-PLAYER EVENTS - PVP
For full event details, check the Event Details sub-forum

⬇️⬇️⬇️ Weekly Events ⬇️⬇️⬇️

Training Grounds - Standard (Everyday)

• Start Time: 00:01 UTC
  • End Time: 22:01 UTC

Training Grounds - Legacy (Everyday)

• Start Time: 01:59 UTC
  • End Time: 23:59 UTC

Trial of the Planes - Weekdays

• Cost: 60 Mana Crystals
  • Color Order: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green
  • Opt-In Time: 01:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 07:00 UTC
  • End Time: 05:00 UTC

Revolving Planeswalk - Weekdays

Order of the Blessed (White - Monday), Faculty of the Wise (Blue - Tuesday), Well of the Autocratic (Black - Wednesday), Battle Cry of the Furious (Red - Thursday), Nursery of the Consonant (Green - Friday)

• Version: ONE
  • Opt-In Time: 22:00 UTC (previous day)
  • Start Time: 04:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02:00 UTC (next day)

Emergency Ordinances

• Deck Restriction: Legacy
  • Opt-In Time: 02/26/2024 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 02/26/2024 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02/28/2024 10:00 UTC

Trial of Ambition

• Opt-In Time: 02/28/2024 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 02/28/2024 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/01/2024 10:00 UTC

Lost in Caverns of Ixalan

• Deck Restriction: Standard
  • Opt-In Time: 03/01/2024 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 03/01/2024 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/03/2024 10:00 UTC

Fate is rarely fair

• Opt-In Time: 03/03/2024 06:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 03/03/2024 12:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/05/2024 10:00 UTC

UPCOMING SINGLE-PLAYER EVENTS - PVE

Face the Hydra

• Opt-In Time: 02/27/2024 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 02/27/2024 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02/29/2024 06:00 UTC

Fateful Showdown

• Opt-In Time: 02/29/2024 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 02/29/2024 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/04/2024 08:00 UTC

Duets of Mana - Tears and Memories

• Opt-In Time: 03/02/2024 02:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 03/02/2024 08:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/04/2024 06:00 UTC

OTHER EVENTS

COALITION EVENT
Titanomachy

• Opt-In Time: 03/01/2024 00:00 UTC
  • Start Time: 03/02/2024 00:00 UTC
  • End Time: 03/03/2024 22:00 UTC

Planechasing Fblthp

• Opt-In Time: -
  • Start Time: 02/28/2024 14:00 UTC
  • End Time: 02/29/2024 08:00 UTC

Comments

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 337 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I notice you've got Doomskar Claimants in Legacy

I get it: Doomskar Claimants is an event which has objectives which use mechanics that are no longer in Standard, like Boast, and Foretell. You can't run it as an event in the current Standard environment.

But rotating old Standard events like this into Legacy ruins them. For most of their objectives, we swap a card or two into our existing broken Legacy combo decks, and the event becomes a carbon copy of other Legacy events. Some events have objectives which are much harder, but these tend to be unpopular with the players too, because players who build for the objectives often get trounced by players who don't.

There's a place for Legacy events in the game (some might say that Battles from the Ages and Trial of the Planes daily is plenty Legacy events). But rotating Standard events into Legacy usually makes them worse, and what's more, it's a waste of potential.

What's the solution? Make them block Standard events! Limit the number of sets playable to 3 or 4, maybe 6 or 7 max, including the sets which contain the mechanics in the objectives. There are already some block constructed events in the game: Ravnica at War, and Seize the Day. Used sparingly, they can add much needed variety to the increasingly stale formats of Legacy and Standard.

Oh, on the subject of variety... can we have Colors of Magic back please? I know there's a minor bug in it that you haven't yet got around to fixing, but we don't mind, I think that bug's been in the event since it's inception ^_^

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

I don't know? I wouldn't mind revisiting these older events now that I have a few more cards and more synergy. I'd really like them to be restricted to whatever was "standard" when they ran.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Hey, folks!

Doomskar Claimants was mistakenly listed as next week's Coalition Event but it's actually supposed to be Hunter x Bonder.
    Sorry for the confusion. The post has been fixed.

Lu

• Sorin81
    Sorin81 Posts: 545 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team Revolving Planeswalk and Trial of the Planes are missing from events in game today.

• Theophilus
    Theophilus Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Options

Personally, I don’t like legacy format for coalition events, but it’s typically not a big enough problem for me to bother mentioning it. Standard is a more level playing field.

However, I am very opposed to some legacy events due to their niche objectives. Newer players simply do not have the cards. I’d love to see some of these old events resurrected as block restricted format— BUT, not as a coalition event. Make an individual event and run it on weekdays.

IMO- any legacy coalition events should only be PvE and have universal objectives.

• Janosik
    Options

@Theophilus said:
    Personally, I don’t like legacy format for coalition events, but it’s typically not a big enough problem for me to bother mentioning it. Standard is a more level playing field.

However, I am very opposed to some legacy events due to their niche objectives. Newer players simply do not have the cards. I’d love to see some of these old events resurrected as block restricted format— BUT, not as a coalition event. Make an individual event and run it on weekdays.

IMO- any legacy coalition events should only be PvE and have universal objectives.

I've always thought MTGPQ runs too many Legacy events (both on weekends and weekdays).

WOTC understands that it's very hard for paper MTG players to get hold of Eternal format cards (Vintage and Legacy), and so they run many more Standard everts than Eternal events.

By contrast, MTGPQ like to run about half and half Standard and Legacy events. There's a difference between paper and MTGPQ here, of course, in that older boosters are out of print in paper, and they're always available in MTGPQ, so presumably the thought is that running so many Legacy events will drive sales in old boosters, but I wonder if that's actually the case. Drop %s in packs means it's still very hard to get hold of old cards, and remember, some of those old sets just don't have associated Elite packs. Are there really any whales out there who joined the game in the last few years and bought endless SOI boosters until they got themselves a mythic Startled Awake, or even enough BFZ boosters to get a rare Prism Array?

It'd be much easier for players to get hold of old cards if the system of crafting Legacy by individual set had been introduced, as announced, but it seems clear to me that the decision to scrap that idea was very deliberate.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,231 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Magic:PQ Support Team Could you update the boilerplate heading listing the standard card sets? It isn't completely correct as it's missing the latest sets.

Here's what it shows:

_CURRENT STANDARD FORMAT

Current Standard Format contains the following card sets:

*Origins
    *Puzzle Masters
    The Lost Caverns of Ixalan
    Wilds of Eldraine
    March of the Machines
    Phyrexia: All Will Be One
    The Brothers' War
    Dominaria United
    Jumpstart
    Streets of New Capenna
    Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty
    Innistrad: Crimson Vow
    Innistrad: Midnight Hunt_

• Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Options

Another Legacy PvP Coalition event?
    Good thing I'm not in a competitive coalition, so I can afford yet another week off.

• Janosik
    Options

@Theophilus said:

I have been advocating for Legacy block formats recently, and it's mostly because half of the new coalition events that are 'created' are Standard events that drop into Legacy... It's such a waste for this to happen

Leaving those aside, tho, what I'd really like to see is some Standard block formats. New players would find it much less of a challenge to get cards for those. 3 years worth of sets is a lot, and I don't think every 'Standard' event has to include every Standard legal set.

They should at least create one Standard block format, and see what happens