Speed Evil - Lightning Rounds. April 1 - 3, 2014

I know it's quite late but I'm missing a thread on LRs of the week yet, so I'm creating one. Copy pasting order and times from the previous thread, if anything's wrong, feel free to correct.
ORDER (All times EST)

Hood - 12pm, 10pm, 8am, 6pm, 4am

Doctor Doom - 2pm, 12am, 10am, 8pm, 6am

Loki - 4pm, 2am, 12pm, 10pm, 8am

Magneto - 6pm, 4am, 2pm, 12am, 10am

Ragnarok - 8pm, 6am, 4pm, 2am, NOPE

Progression Awards
25 - 140 ISO
50 - Standard token
100 - 250 ISO
250 - Standard token
500 - 500 ISO

Tournament Rewards
1 - 2 - 2 or 3 Covers, 250 ISO, 100HP
3 - 8 - 2 Covers, 250 ISO
9 - 25 - Cover, 250 ISO
26 - 50 - Diabolical Token, 250 ISO
51 - 100 - Heroic Token, 250 ISO
101 - 250 - 500 ISO
251 - 500 - 250 ISO
501 - 1000 - 140 ISO
1001 - 100000 - 70 ISO

Am hunting for Magneto blue, but not very competitively. And looking at the current round (a fellow Alliance member there, too!), there's no sense in trying for top 8 icon_e_biggrin.gif I'll just gravitate to top 50 as usual.
1jMke8sl.png

A lot of top players are vying to respec their Magnetos to 5 red, I see. I guess those who don't have a usable Patch yet can afford not to try to place #1 - #2 in Magneto's rounds 5 times.

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Oh well Hood's blue which I maxed weeks ago. I could have built a 0-3-2 Hood with spare covers by now, I think.
  • Managed to place in the top 25 in a Hood round to get a blue cover; he's now 0/4/5.

Picked up a Diabolic token in a Doom round--it was nerve-wracking watching my name bounce down to 52 and then back up to 48 in the last minute of the round. It was my second black Doom of the day. I've only sold two 3* covers so far, both were today, and both were black Dooms.
  • locked wrote:
    A lot of top players are vying to respec their Magnetos to 5 red, I see. I guess those who don't have a usable Patch yet can afford not to try to place #1 - #2 in Magneto's rounds 5 times.
    And here I was hoping to sneak into the top 2 in a nice late-night round! EvilSonGoku was up in the 300's as well, but he put in a tank team with about 40 minutes to go.

Man, it was brutal trying to keep pace with shamusyeah and doneskis. I tried to get up there for a little over an hour, but lost one to earlofevil on a berserker rage followed by a cascade followed by twin pistols, and threw in the towel afterward. Guess my Mags is staying 5/3/5 for at least another week. And to think I respec'd him from 5/4/4 originally!
  • I just had the worst MPQ experience so far.

my team: lvl200 Hood, lvl156 Doom, lvl100 Rags.

enemy team: lvl30 Rags, maxed OBW and Ares.

On the second turn AI gets cascade after cascade. they steals. then Sunder. then all the other Ares' powers. then heal. rinse and repeat. It all took around 8 turns and my whole team was dead. I was just staring at the screen and watching as my team dies. With this face icon_eek.gif
  • over_clocked
    Humility is the greatest virtue I guess.
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    LR are weird i find.. why players with max buffed chars (and often max roster) keep competing in these events is beyond me.. they have multiple ways to rack up isos, it's not alliance related and they don't need covers.. i can never crack the top 5 in these events.. and get these elusive black hoods covers..
  • over_clocked
    I feel for you. I was going to compete for yellow in the latest Hood round, seeing as how it's down time in the EST zone, but after clearing seed teams I realized that the leaders are already way ahead and my matchups are strong enough to retaliate. Settled for top 50 as usual and got the last cover for Magneto (4/4/5 which I'll probably respec to 5/3/5 or 5/4/4 later).

Their reasoning is:
    1) get ISO and HP (With that kind of roster, would you be able to resist the chance to earn easy 100 HP in 90 minutes? I guess alliance rewards are never enough.)
    2) respec some characters (Magneto to 5/5/3 to use with Patch, maybe respec Hood to 5 yellow from 5 black, since other villains are 2 skill guys.)
    3) ...dunno what else, some people just get there accidentally after farming ISO and never putting a tank team
  • franckynight
    franckynight Posts: 582 Critical Contributor
    got it.. i'm like u.. i shoot for the top 50 and hope for some lucky pulls (but i usually fall on green rag or black doom.. icon_eek.gif
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    I really really hate it when people who already maxed character go in and win LRs too. Happened to me yesterday with some SHIELD guy who kept hitting me so hard I even had to shield up and waste HP to not risk dropping out of Top25.
    Today's LR was much better though, I managed to win the Hood round two hours ago. It was intense as hell though. I had shielded up at 500 and thought Top2 was secure, but someone from FittedKitchens came in hard from 3rd and I had no choice but to keep pressing. I was terrified the whole time, a single hit by someone else and I would have been kicked out of Top2 with no chance to come back, but I got lucky. My Hood is now 3/5/5 (from 2/4/4) and I still have a yellow upcoming from Day 130 or whichever it is, so I won't participate in Hood LRs again unless for tanking.
  • So basically because You want to get cool rewards, You don't allow other people to get them? For You it's a new cover, for someone else it's 500 ISO. Why should the cover for You be more important than 500 ISO for someone else?
  • KaioShinDE
    Emeryt wrote:
    So basically because You want to get cool rewards, You don't allow other people to get them? For You it's a new cover, for someone else is 500 ISO. Why should the cover for You be more important than 500 ISO for someone else?

One is worth 1250HP and the other is worth 7 or 8 random wins in Shield Training. That you even bring this up tells me all about the mindset of such players I need to know, thanks...
  • KaioShinDE wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    So basically because You want to get cool rewards, You don't allow other people to get them? For You it's a new cover, for someone else is 500 ISO. Why should the cover for You be more important than 500 ISO for someone else?

One is worth 1250HP and the other is worth 7 or 8 random wins in Shield Training. That you even bring this up tells me all about the mindset of such players I need to know, thanks...
    Ok. Tell me one thing - should we ban Bayern Munchen from the German soccer league, because they are unstoppable and are winning everything? Gee, they already have all the cool trophies, why won't they leave something to others?
  • over_clocked
    To be fair, Emeryt, 500 ISO is nothing compared to the ISO from regular farming the seed teams and then tanking/leaving at that. HP is another matter though, quite a lot of top players are F2P.

A cover is also much better than 500 ISO, seeing as how you can earn ISO, well, in Shield training, but a guaranteed villain cover is only awarded in villain LRs.
  • locked wrote:
    To be fair, Emeryt, 500 ISO is nothing compared to the ISO from regular farming the seed teams and then tanking/leaving at that. HP is another matter though, quite a lot of top players are F2P.

A cover is also much better than 500 ISO, seeing as how you can earn ISO, well, in Shield training, but a guaranteed villain cover is only awarded in villain LRs.
    I understand that. But I still don't get it why some people want to exclude others from the competition.
  • KaioShinDE
    Emeryt wrote:
    Ok. Tell me one thing - should we ban Bayern Munchen from the German soccer league, because they are unstoppable and are winning everything? Gee, they already have all the cool trophies, why won't they leave something to others?

Apples and... kittens?

I have no problems with those players winning their PvE and other PvP brackets. LRs is another matter though. The rewards there are huge for upcoming players and completely inconsequential for those Top players. So if they grab those up just to rub their ego, I'm sorry but I don't approve.
  • over_clocked
    Emeryt, as much as I don't want to instigate anything, quite a lot of top players aren't top because they're the best, they are top because they paid a lot (very few)/were the earliest players (very many, October-November 2013). Some of top players I infinitely respect, such as Polarity, walkyourpath, Nemek, mischiefmaker, etc., since they are trying to help the community and are not smug about having elite rosters or anything. The game is easy, well, for almost anyone, and only becomes easier once you develop your roster.
  • Players without full villain covers see players with full villain covers vying for top spots, every single LR, sometimes at their expense.
    Players without full villain covers gets resentful at the perception of the greedy players with full villain covers denying other players progression.
    It's simple human nature. Gluttony, greed, pride, envy, frustration, resent.

Personally, I only need some blue and red Magneto covers as the rest of my villains are max covered, so I only go for the Diabolical Token in the ranks between 26-50.
    This means I get to 250-300 and moderate my score to stay in the Diabolical zone, winning or losing as required.
    But typically, all I've gotten from the Diabolicals is a bunch of Hood, Doom, Loki and Rags covers. Mags is an elusive beast.
    I don't even bother trying to win the Magneto rounds because the chances of getting knocked down from the top 2, which awards the red and blue I need, is way too high.
    I'd rather save myself the grief and try my luck at token lotto.

Once I've completed Magneto, I will probably just play LRs casually to the 250 progression token and hope to stay in the top 100 for a Heroic token.
    However, even now I often just play to the 50 point token and stop there.
    There's no alliance stakes so personally, there's no need for me to be greedy.
    ISO and HP can be earned from all the other PVP and PVE tournaments anyway.

This LR all my Standard progression tokens have been 1* wonders as usual, until I just now pulled a blue Magneto. I'm flabbergasted. icon_e_surprised.gif
  • locked wrote:

Yep, I too think it would be fair thinking to let people win covers for covers purpose. The HP in sell price was stripped for that very reason. And 500 iso is 4-5 games you can do at low points.

sure everyone has the *right* to compete, to win, whatever, but also have the right to be generous and just take what he *needs* actually not what he is *able* to grab.
  • Emeryt wrote:
    I just had the worst MPQ experience so far.

my team: lvl200 Hood, lvl156 Doom, lvl100 Rags.

enemy team: lvl30 Rags, maxed OBW and Ares.

On the second turn AI gets cascade after cascade. they steals. then Sunder. then all the other Ares' powers. then heal. rinse and repeat. It all took around 8 turns and my whole team was dead. I was just staring at the screen and watching as my team dies. With this face icon_eek.gif

I had something similar going on a "puny" mstorm/obw/thor team with something way stronger. Not even in forest. Cascades early and cascades later -- all thor powers with ton of crits. I was left alone with Hulk around 1500 facing Thor at full, though mana exhausted -- and finished with maybe 200.

But I consider those the good moments of MPQ, not the usual slaughter. icon_e_smile.gif

In recent LR I relearned how much *my* CD tiles suck. Wanted to plant an alternative tank team (I think the regular bagman/DD one just lost) with Hawkeye 40 and something -- over probably also tank team with similar hawk and some other lowling.

All my Hawk CDs were gone in moments, including those placed seemingly out of reach. icon_e_smile.gif the final showdown was hawk on hawk -- his at better health -- and my CD was killed again while his blue resolved.

Still it's fun to play just for the fun icon_e_smile.gif
  • Players without full villain covers see players with full villain covers vying for top spots, every single LR, sometimes at their expense.
    Players without full villain covers gets resentful at the perception of the greedy players with full villain covers denying other players progression.
    It's simple human nature. Gluttony, greed, pride, envy, frustration, resent.

Personally, I only need some blue and red Magneto covers as the rest of my villains are max covered, so I only go for the Diabolical Token in the ranks between 26-50.
    This means I get to 250-300 and moderate my score to stay in the Diabolical zone, winning or losing as required.
    But typically, all I've gotten from the Diabolicals is a bunch of Hood, Doom, Loki and Rags covers. Mags is an elusive beast.
    I don't even bother trying to win the Magneto rounds because the chances of getting knocked down from the top 2, which awards the red and blue I need, is way too high.
    I'd rather save myself the grief and try my luck at token lotto.

Once I've completed Magneto, I will probably just play LRs casually to the 250 progression token and hope to stay in the top 100 for a Heroic token.
    However, even now I often just play to the 50 point token and stop there.
    There's no alliance stakes so personally, there's no need for me to be greedy.
    ISO and HP can be earned from all the other PVP and PVE tournaments anyway.

This LR all my Standard progression tokens have been 1* wonders as usual, until I just now pulled a blue Magneto. I'm flabbergasted. icon_e_surprised.gif
    ive noticed during the villian lighting rounds the 250 mark is usually enough to get the heroic token unless its a Hood or Magneto round...Hero lighting round is a different story