Legacy PvP Coalition Events

Options

For the upcoming Coalition Events. As we begin using more and more Legacy PvP, could we instead limit the deck construction to a limited block construction format?

Seize-the-day is the only event that I know of that uses a limited block format.

Is there any appetite for switching future Legacy Coalition events to block limited?
For instance, the upcoming HxB could be limited to ORI, PMA, THB, DvK, IKO, M21, ZNR. Or however long you want to stretch it out.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Until there is a much easier way of getting specific legacy cards, doing block restricted legacy event will shut out a lot of people from playing.

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options

I like the idea of block-restricted events but without targeted crafting, I fear it would be too difficult for players to acquire the necessary cards.

Legacy crafting is basically worthless at this point.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ambrosio191 & @Sarah - while I gree with the difficulties, I’ll try to list possible options that could make it possible for block-restricted events. (Though, I’m unsure if webcore has the time to develop the ideas right now). I’m also trying to be conscious about webcores earnings in the following.

1. IIRC it has been possible to “loan” planeswalkers (and decks) some years back. I think Saheli1 was previewed in an event (maybe with a preconstructed deck) So similarly if the event was run with a PW restriction, everyone would have a fair chance to participate. If the preconstructed deck was possible to edit (and reset) then players could supplement with their cards from their own library.

2. Give a booster pack from the set for entering the event. I know that one booster pack would most likely not make a world of difference to your deck but it is still a way to an incentive to play the event. (Many older sets have guaranteed rare boosters, maybe they could be used also).

3. Run an PVE event from the same set one week in advance to allow players to win a few booster packs.

4. Put set PW on sale (20%) in the vault when an event hit.

• Scrounger
    Scrounger Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

As someone who still needs lots of legacy cards, I'll third the objection/concern raised by Sarah and ambrosio. Making these events block restricted will essentially shut out newer players. And even if targeted legacy crafting is available -- something I very much hope that webcore implements -- it will take time for newer players to acquire a significant volume of the cards from particular sets.

So I think that they should keep these events as standard legacy events and not block restricted even after they implement targeted legacy crafting until at least some substantial time has passed since targeted legacy crafting has been implemented.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 8 January 2024, 11:12
    Options

@Scrounger - But any newer player will have that issue, so while Webcore waits for you to get a “sufficiently large” legacy collection, newer players will (hopefully) appear and then Webcore will have to wait for those players to get a “sufficiency large” legacy collection. That seems like and endless loop.

But as I read your post, you argue from an underlying assumption, which is: all events most be playable/played by all players? I disagree with this assumption. Historically, there have been complaints about too many events (and also too few). I have realised that some events are not for me, due to time constraints or my fun-factor with a particular event. So I only play a limited amount of events. Some players thinks they must play everything every day, because ‘they have to get all the “free” content’, which seems to be very stressful and lead to app-burnout.

Luckily, my way of playing does not prevent others from playing another way.

Block restricted events will allow all players to focus on using their legacy collections (and figure out the puzzle) without having to design for the usual speed deck, which sole purpose is to get everything “free” as fast as possible. Those decks ruins the fun for the players who want to explore the possibilities in their legacy collection. So I argue give us block restricted events now (and make sure that there are alternative events for players with a smaller collection).