Using Costumes to Rebalance

Options
Jinx
Jinx Posts: 214 Tile Toppler

What do you guys think of the idea of allowing costumes to serve a similar function as support? You could add health, damage, even change affiliations or powers based on what costume a character is wearing.

Comments

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,150 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I like the idea! Though I'm a collector-type so I keep getting as many as I can. It'd be nice if they did something else too.

• dxanders
    dxanders Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options

I like it in theory, but my main concern would be that the costume becomes the only viable way to play the character rather than a fun cosmetic change for personalization.

I'd be more inclined towards a more neutral modifier that broadens versatility. E.g. a costume that changes a character's affiliation or increases damage at the cost of health.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Affiliation is an interesting idea for sure.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Nice idea, but I think it'd be better if they modified stuff in a balanced way instead of purely adding stuff. Like...an alternate polaris costume could make her blue stun for half the turns but make double the swords. Stuff like that.

• trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

@Jinx said:
    What do you guys think of the idea of allowing costumes to serve a similar function as support? You could add health, damage, even change affiliations or powers based on what costume a character is wearing.

I always thought it would be fun if costumes changed one of the powers. Imagine she Deadpool changes whales to be blue, or changing 3* cap america's costume would change his red into a power that, I don't know caused the shield to bounce around and destroy multiple tiles? It could add some depth and allow them to refresh old characters without a total rebalance.

• trewiltrewil
    trewiltrewil Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Options

@Seph1roth5 said:
    Nice idea, but I think it'd be better if they modified stuff in a balanced way instead of purely adding stuff. Like...an alternate polaris costume could make her blue stun for half the turns but make double the swords. Stuff like that.

Oh yeah, that's basically what I was thinking, but a much better example. It has to be thematic though.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

@trewiltrewil said:
    changing 3* cap america's costume would change his red into a power that, I don't know caused the shield to bounce around and destroy multiple tiles?

It's always annoyed me that Cap doesn't have a power that does that, it would look great and feel right for the character.

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 214 Tile Toppler
    Options

@dxanders said:
    I like it in theory, but my main concern would be that the costume becomes the only viable way to play the character rather than a fun cosmetic change for personalization.

I'd be more inclined towards a more neutral modifier that broadens versatility. E.g. a costume that changes a character's affiliation or increases damage at the cost of health.

I agree. Not really talking about a costume doing all those things. Change affiliation for sure and then change one of the powers to something else or maybe change the color of one power. Not wholesale changes, but weeks that could make a difference.

• Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options

Honestly I don't think it is a good idea. Changing affiliations maybe as it's minor. But to have a costume be used for rebalance results in the character not being fixed. Instead the costume becomes mandatory in using them. Just look at how Future Fight does their costumes. Their default versions are completely unplayable now due to how each costume they get power creeps the one before it. Costumes being used for rebalances is no fix for actual rebalances.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I guess there is precedent from the console Spider-Man games for costumes having different effects or adding "powers". I think the problem for me is that costumes are very character specific and producing enough of them as alternative skins so that every character in the game can have one equipped for "balance" issues sounds like an enormous job. It is easy enough to do Supports and have them be applied to a wide range of characters but Silver Surfer for example doesn't exactly have a Beach Boys T-Shirt to wear or whatever.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 957 Critical Contributor
    Options

@DrClever said:

@trewiltrewil said:
    changing 3* cap america's costume would change his red into a power that, I don't know caused the shield to bounce around and destroy multiple tiles?

It's always annoyed me that Cap doesn't have a power that does that, it would look great and feel right for the character.

The countdown tile returning AP is supposed to simulate the bouncing effect.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 369 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Venomous said:
    Honestly I don't think it is a good idea. Changing affiliations maybe as it's minor. But to have a costume be used for rebalance results in the character not being fixed. Instead the costume becomes mandatory in using them. Just look at how Future Fight does their costumes. Their default versions are completely unplayable now due to how each costume they get power creeps the one before it. Costumes being used for rebalances is no fix for actual rebalances.

Well that's why I was saying a costume could change stuff but not solely make it more powerful. Like a costume for polaris could have her blue make fists instead of swords or something. Wouldn't be a clear cut power boost, but would let her work with different teammates.