Double Featured Characters for PVE

Options
Venomous
Venomous Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
edited November 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

I know for many here it doesn't effect them but I wanted to propose an idea. In the minority, I tend to only build and play characters I like. Others may either not have characters built or just not be a fan of certain characters, so I wanted to propose this idea.

What is everyone's thoughts on there being 2 Featured 3 stars, 2 Featured 4 stars, and 2 Features 5 stars in PvE game modes? The rewards themselves would be unchanged and the extra nodes would still give the same amount of points. But instead players would be given the choice of choosing to use only one of the characters. Say the focus 5 stars are Omega Red or Venomsaur. You could choose to use Omega Red only. Using both would get you more points faster, but only if you have and use both of them. For those who don't have certain characters or don't want to use them, it could give players a method of playing the characters they want to play instead of whoever they are forced to. And with the focus heroes usually being recent, it could be 1 recent character and 1 new character each time to keep it fair.Thoughts?

Comments

• meadowsweet
    meadowsweet Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think rewards should scale with character dilution: twice as many characters, twice as many rewards. Ten times as many characters, ten times as many rewards.

Why earn either Omega Red or Venomsaur when you could be earning both?

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Venomous said:
    I know for many here it doesn't effect them but I wanted to propose an idea. In the minority, I tend to only build and play characters I like. Others may either not have characters built or just not be a fan of certain characters, so I wanted to propose this idea.

What is everyone's thoughts on there being 2 Featured 3 stars, 2 Featured 4 stars, and 2 Features 5 stars in PvE game modes? The rewards themselves would be unchanged and the extra nodes would still give the same amount of points. But instead players would be given the choice of choosing to use only one of the characters. Say the focus 5 stars are Omega Red or Venomsaur. You could choose to use Omega Red only. Using both would get you more points faster, but only if you have and use both of them. For those who don't have certain characters or don't want to use them, it could give players a method of playing the characters they want to play instead of whoever they are forced to. And with the focus heroes usually being recent, it could be 1 recent character and 1 new character each time to keep it fair.Thoughts?

Its certainly possiblle, We have had unique rules sets like BFF, House of X, BOP etc. Plently of examples of 2v2 and 1v1 matchups, So its well within the construction possibility.

But it seems like these are the least popuplar styles of events. I don't know about actual numbers, but I'm pretty sure they will say that these one-off style events have a historical record of lower participation.

• Venomous
    Options

I don't mean new PvE. Just add 3 additional nodes to the existing PvEs so players have options. Or maybe even help finish PvE faster if you have both.

• Zarqa
    Zarqa Posts: 262 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Venomous said:
    Or maybe even help finish PvE faster if you have both.

This comment makes me wonder if you only ever play for progression, and not placement. The two node system you propose doesn’t work well for placement, since both nodes would still need to be completed for maximum points.

If I’m understanding your idea correctly, it just means that anyone going for max points would have to bring both 5 stars to the event, therefore making it even harder for those who don’t have full rosters. Please correct me if I am wrong and misunderstand your point though.

• Venomous
    Options

@Zarqa said:

@Venomous said:
    Or maybe even help finish PvE faster if you have both.

This comment makes me wonder if you only ever play for progression, and not placement. The two node system you propose doesn’t work well for placement, since both nodes would still need to be completed for maximum points.

If I’m understanding your idea correctly, it just means that anyone going for max points would have to bring both 5 stars to the event, therefore making it even harder for those who don’t have full rosters. Please correct me if I am wrong and misunderstand your point though.

Truth. I haven't done PvE or PvP in a long time and I haven't taken really any game mode seriously for a while. I am not even clearance 10 yet. But that's why I wanted to propose the idea because, of course, it would be different for others.

My idea though is the max amount of points would be the same. You'd just be allowed to get double the points. Honestly late in players could even choose to do both of the 5 star nodes and less of the 4 star nodes as it would take less time. I apologize though as I know I am not the best at explaining things.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Yeah that's not going to work with how the scoring system has been set up.