Omega Red's Death Spores should deal damage to enemies and allies, maybe even to himself

Options
Jacklag
Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker

I can't believe this isn't discussed already. There is a reason why Omega Red works alone. Then of course his numbers would need to be adjusted to compensate, but I think it would make him a more interesting character. And 5* Omega Red could stop dealing damage to self, since apparently apocalypse replaced his Carbonadium armor with a non-radioactive one.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

I was sure this was someone revving up the "nerf OR" engine.

But if you want accurate representations of marvel characters in MPQ you are about a decade late. . .

Personally, I am just as happy to not have another team damage character. IMO it is a bad mechanic that incentivizes un-fun play styles.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

But if you want accurate representations of marvel characters in MPQ you are about a decade late. . .

Personally, I am just as happy to not have another team damage character. IMO it is a bad mechanic that incentivizes un-fum play styles.

Friendly team damage can be a great mechanic in games when it's used to balance something that'd otherwise be overpowered!

Unfortunately speed is king in MPQ, and tacking some friendly damage onto extremely fast, powerful stuff as a downside...isn't really a downside at all.

• DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,194 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

He is countered extremely easily and I don't need another character that zaps my health packs.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

If his spores hurt him he wouldn't live very long. Animals with some sort of poisonous effect are generally immune to their own toxins.

I get the ally thing however, being allies, they could plan to keep distance or have an evil scientist create a temporary anti-toxin to protect them.

Gameplay related... He'd need to be a lot stronger if he was also hurting your whole team every turn. No one wants that either way... If someone does want that it wouldn't be much fun of they got it.

This feel like this is something people think of but dismiss because it usually explains itself.

As for realism: a more concerning, and difficult, issue is figuring out where those tentacles go...

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,929 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2023
    Options

As a player who values the lore, I am in agreement with the OP. @Jacklag

There should be consequences to running high out put damage characters. I think iHulk and Thanos are good examples of this. Mighty Thor also has the double edged sword of potentially allowing the opponent team to gain AP faster.

But with Omega Red there is no real consequence to his damage output and opponent damage reduction. I think his red self-heal being rather lackluster was an attempt to keep him in check but in terms of the comics, I would have preferred a stronger self-heal but continuous team damage. It would add a greater element of strategy in team formation.

As he currently he exists, you can basically run him with anyone (Mighty Thor being the obvious exception) but of course he mostly gets paired with meta-level characters either to boost his damage (Okoye, Apoc) or offer some form of protection (Colossus, Chasm).

He feels more like an upgraded version of iHulk sans the self-damage and revive. I will say the Apocalypse Horseman upgrade does feel like a legit way to explain the lack of self-damage but would love to see the Classic version get re-worked to something more in line with the comics.

Although, considering the distaste a lot of players have for self-damage characters, I can imagine why the dev team may have balked at the idea of incorporating that into his skillset.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options

Counter argument

Omega red is awesome leave him be

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,949 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I dunno, I've had zero problems stomping 550 OR. It's not like Thor where if she casts something, there's a chance the AI will go off for 800,000 damage on you before you get a turn.

Omega Red puts out a consistent, low damage AoE -- it's what, like 30k a turn? 40k? That's nothing. The damage reduction is largely irrelevant too. And his HP is high but not crazy. When he's boosted he'll be a nightmare (as he should), but unboosted he's a nobody.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Options

Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this discussion, but I think from now on the thing you should bring is silence.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,117 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this discussion, but I think from now on the thing you should bring is silence.

Be vewy, vewy quiet.
    We're hunting Omega Wed.
    Hehehehehehehehehehe.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm all in for anything that involves being mean to Omega Red the comic book character but I think Omega Red the MPQ guy is sort of alright and probably doesn't need any greater attention to detail. Although the tentacle thing is a bit weird.

• Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

Personally, I am just as happy to not have another team damage character. IMO it is a bad mechanic that incentivizes un-fun play styles.

Expecting an accurate representation is obviously unrealistic, but some team damage (but not self) would be a good way to at least represent a defining trait of the comic character a bit better, like the way that all the army of wolverines have some form of healing factor equivalent.