OKTAGON Q&A Session - August 2023 (ANSWERS PUBLISHED - UPDATED 09/20/23)

Options
2»

Comments

• Metroplex78
    Metroplex78 Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options

I don't get these people, they only want the rewards as fast as possible not the experience of a good fight, these people are the problem, I'd rather spend 5 minutes playing and enjoy myself than 2 just mindlessly deploying a loop deck, where's the fun in that? These people stopped enjoying the game long ago, they just want the loot.
    It'd be faster getting it by opening their wallets, no need to grind and use mindless loops, right?

• khurram
    khurram Posts: 1,080 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Metroplex78 said:
    I don't get these people, they only want the rewards as fast as possible not the experience of a good fight, these people are the problem, I'd rather spend 5 minutes playing and enjoy myself than 2 just mindlessly deploying a loop deck, where's the fun in that? These people stopped enjoying the game long ago, they just want the loot.
    It'd be faster getting it by opening their wallets, no need to grind and use mindless loops, right?

Maybe the problem is people wanting to dictate how other people should enjoy the game. How about you play the game however you want to and try not to tell other people how they should play or experience the game.

You see someone playing a loop deck and you think what? That they're a schmuck and now the creativity and innovation in deck building rests solely on your shoulders?

Different events, different decks, different playing experiences. Players are entitled
    to take their sweet time during games in some events and still want to be as fast as possible in others. Same player can play a loop deck in one event and prefer to play longer games with a different kind of deck in others. Loop decks and combo decks have their place and use in the game because of different players , having different preferences and play styles. Its not such a scandalous concept that one can't wrap their head around it.

• khurram
    Options

@Tremayne said:

Whether i play a loop deck or not Greg WILL lose.

Totally agree, but here is the catch Greg is so bad at piloting decks, that I win almost every match by using the trusted 3-4-3 (or 3-3-4) template. And that is a huge problem in my book. I recently explained MTGPQ to someone who didn’t know the game. When I said I won 99% of my matches the response was: Why do you play? Where is the fun in that? And it is totally correct, it is no challenge to win, it is almost only a challenge to beat RNG.

@khurram - something in this statement is really contradictory to me.

Do i want to spend 5 minutes or 2 minutes finishing that match?

When I read this, I get the impression that the primary goal for you when playing MTGPQ is to play as little as possible. That is counterintuitive, why do you play at all?
    Some players have occasionally bragged that their loop decks allow them to put down their device and let the game finish by it self. But these person are not playing MTGPQ, it is their device which is playing MTGPQ.

So for me restrict loop deck and fix the things that make players seek out loop deck in order to not play the tedious version of MTGPQ.

You either didn't read or in order to stress your own point you purposefully chose to ignore that i specifically mentioned the daily events where people can sometimes want to be done as soon as possible. I think its fair if they do. You don't? Great, spend as much time as you like on them. There are dailies and then there are other events. Did i say that i was playing them all the same way? I can want to play as little as i can or take as much time during games as i want, thats up to me or whatever i feel like depending on the event or my mood or how much time I've got on my hands for the day.

My primary goal is to play the way i want to and not according to someone else's idea of what is or isn't tedious or what does or doesn't entail playing MTGPQ for them. 🙂

• Metroplex78
    Metroplex78 Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options

Loop decks are a form of cheating, plain and simple.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,619 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

My primary goal is to play the way i want to and not according to someone else's idea of what is or isn't tedious or what does or doesn't entail playing MTGPQ for them. 🙂

I totally agree with that goal. 😁 I just can’t see out of your responses that you understand how negatively loop decks impacts other players. Particularly, since this loop deck situation was not a problem originally. It is something that has appeared, due to badly designed cards - over the years.

Furthermore I reiterate, that in my view loop deck are used by players to fix a problem that could be handled much better by improving the app - particularly in the areas of animations, user interface and card/game design. If this improvement occurred, there wouldn’t be a need to speed run the matches because they would be fast enough.

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 171 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Mainloop25 said:

When I read this, I get the impression that the primary goal for you when playing MTGPQ is to play as little as possible. That is counterintuitive, why do you play at all?
    Some players have occasionally bragged that their loop decks allow them to put down their device and let the game finish by it self. But these person are not playing MTGPQ, it is their device which is playing MTGPQ.

So for me restrict loop deck and fix the things that make players seek out loop deck in order to not play the tedious version of MTGPQ.

No, let me explain what it is.

With the limited amount we may be able to play the game in a given amount of time, we often have to make the choice between collecting all the available resources up for grabs in that time frame, we often have to make the choice between collecting those resources and doing the fun things in this game such as deck building, experimenting with card interactions, hunting for new combos, etc. The sooner we finish the chore part of the game the quicker we can move on to the fun stuff.

All of this.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@gozmaster said:

@Mainloop25 said:

No, let me explain what it is.

With the limited amount we may be able to play the game in a given amount of time, we often have to make the choice between collecting all the available resources up for grabs in that time frame, we often have to make the choice between collecting those resources and doing the fun things in this game such as deck building, experimenting with card interactions, hunting for new combos, etc. The sooner we finish the chore part of the game the quicker we can move on to the fun stuff.

All of this.

Yeah, can we agree that the part of the game that's the most fun is not the part that gives you the most free resources? They really make you eat your veggies in this game

• Raistlin0309
    Raistlin0309 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options

The beat compromise is when no one is happy. The fact people are feeling so strongly about both sides of the issue is probably a good reason to not change much.

That said, yes, loops that require casting only one card should not exist and should be fixed promptly.

Loops that take multiple cards, higher rarity cards, and a good bit of set-up are great tools and do bring a lot of enjoyment to players.

Trying to figure out what combos work and what cards play well off of each other is a HUGE part of the game.

That being said, going forward it may be beneficial to separate standard and legacy even further. Like 3 different categories. Since the pool has gotten so big and will just keep expanding. Hmmm, standard, legacy, and,... Legacy OG!! Lol.

Just a thought.

• khurram
    Options

The solution to the expanding standard is block restricted events

• ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options

I'm really afraid of any changes that would be applied to cards with "stored mana". I don't think they should be changed in anyway, we are accustomed to them now, no need to adjust.

• totalsiege
    totalsiege Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Metroplex78 said:
    The only reason those who want to keep loop decks are so against banning them is because it benefits them, they know that as long as they have loop decks they can win events easily because the vast majority do not have the cards required, only a select few have loop decks, if every single player had and started only playing loop decks then they will complain the game has become a loop deck fest and is not enjoyable anymore.
    Their hypocrisy was laid bare with the DaniBoss loop, when it starts to disrupt their easy wins they cry out for the loop to be nerfed, but when it benefits them they turn around and say: Keep loop decks!

Perhaps make all coaliton events unlock the prebuilt begginer advanced master for free from each planeswalker and only allow those to pick from. Since those all are balanced already!