Change in Standard rotation.

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Hey everyone,

Recently, Wizards of the Coast announced a change in the Standard rotation. The rotation that was supposed to happen in the Wilds of Eldraine set was pushed back to 2024 to revitalize and extend the lifecycle of all cards in Standard by one year.
In an official announcement, Wizards of the Coast stated: "Starting with the current Standard environment, sets will rotate out every three years rather than every two years."
This means that Innistrad: Crimson Vow, Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, and Streets of New Capenna will only rotate next year.
Our development team will follow the decision made by Wizards of the Coast and will also postpone the Standard rotation. This means all current standard content, including Vanguard cards, will remain standard until next year.

If you are interested in knowing more about this change, please visit the following link: https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/revitalizing-standard

Best Regards,
Magic: Puzzle Quest Team.

Comments

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 42 Just Dropped In

Joy + horror = excitement?

• Fireguy
    Fireguy Posts: 54 Match Maker

Nice!.. I think.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker

It's a good idea to follow what WOTC are doing in paper.

That said, I think a lot of us players are a bit bored with our Standard decks now and were looking forward to Standard rotation.

To cure our malaise, I'd suggest making some more events, and taking care to make them play differently than previous events. OMAF and BTP have been particularly uninspiring. As has been noted elsewhere, making very complicated event supports which don't have much affect on play is not a good way to make events interesting.

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

WOW! This is going to impact cards and loops in standard dramatically, I'm interested to see how power balancing will be managed going forward. Thank you for the update gang!

• boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler

Ugh. This game really needs a two year rotation. This isn’t like paper magic standard… the only thing that keeps things fresh and less broken is rotation.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker

Hey @Oktagon_Support we're REALLY going to need that Standard filter now please!!!!

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker

To create some freshness I hope we'll get some newer events that 1) dont have supports doing a lot of crazy stuff (we like playing the game just fine!) and 2) exclude certain sets/cards, just to shake things up and have us create different decks (like the Ikoria event that excluded humans or similar to block constructed, select certain standard sets).

The only thing needed for this to work is to make it mandatory; same rules for everybody. Just like having pauper/peasant objectives when people cruise through them with mythics is no fun.

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards

@Janosik said:
    It's a good idea to follow what WOTC are doing in paper.

That said, I think a lot of us players are a bit bored with our Standard decks now and were looking forward to Standard rotation.

To cure our malaise, I'd suggest making some more events, and taking care to make them play differently than previous events. OMAF and BTP have been particularly uninspiring. As has been noted elsewhere, making very complicated event supports which don't have much affect on play is not a good way to make events interesting.

Agreed completely.

Standard rotating keeps things fresh and interesting. The lack of rotation, coupled with a handful of broken cards/interactions, means we'll really just have Legacy and Legacy-Lite.

• versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler

I love it. My preference is to try to build exclusively standard decks; I use them for both standard and legacy events (block restricted events notwithstanding). I have always hated rotation because at that point, all my decks needed reworking. This gives me a little more time with my beloved decks all the while allowing me to tweak them as needed when new sets come out. But I'm sure that's just me, though. And please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please (just let me know how many more "please"s are required to get the job done) give us a standard filter.

please?

• Sarah
    Sarah Posts: 77 Match Maker

It’s absolutely maddening that there is no way to filter standard-legal cards.

• Dologane
    Dologane Posts: 15 Just Dropped In

@Sarah said:
    It’s absolutely maddening that there is no way to filter standard-legal cards.

But hey, at least we can filter by half and full artwork? What would we do without that? 🙄

• Rugrat1979
    Rugrat1979 Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    edited October 2023

If we want everything to be like the paper version, then will have to release all the cards, and not just the “standard” one, so that everything is real.

• Metroplex78
    Metroplex78 Posts: 74 Match Maker

There are no loops in MTG Arena, please end loops here too.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

@Metroplex78 said:
    There are no loops in MTG Arena, please end loops here too.

Go play that game instead, then.