Vanguards can’t be activated / Gem visual glitch [can't reproduce/waiting on more info]

boopers
boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
edited October 2023 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
This bug has been around a while, but never saw something that could help understand what was going on.

Occasionally (and more often recently), something happens so that you can’t click on a vanguard and view or activate an ability. It is usually stuck until the board shuffles or undergoes a major change. 

I actually saw this happen in the screenshot below, but the VG was on a loyalty gem. I couldn’t activate it. 

I managed to catch this on video, also showing that I couldn’t match several gems. I eventually made a swap that worked, and looked at the video frame right after the animation started. 

It turns out that a bunch of the gems were erroneously being shown as a different color/type!  Here is the same capture a couple frames later. 

Notice the upper left VG that I couldn’t activate MOVED from the top left to mid left… AND the color of the gem it moved to changed from black to green. 

You can also see that no less than 5 other gems changed color as well. 

Here is the video:
And here was the board state before I made a successful swap. 

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards

Hello @boopers,

Thank you for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊

Rebeca.

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2023

@Oktagon_Support while multiple cards create deny gems. there isn't a spacific card that is causing the freeze. the lock is created when a deny gem picks a gem that is already occupied by another support. please see example below.

• Kardoktor
    Kardoktor Posts: 2 Just Dropped In

Got this freeze today.

PW=Kasmina

Hello @Julie71 ,
    If you have any additional information that you consider relevant, please don't hesitate to send me 😊
    Rebeca.

• Julie71

@Oktagon_Support said:
    Hello @Julie71 ,
    Rebeca.

it wont be easy to recreate let me do some testing and see if I can help.

• boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler

@Magic:PQ Support Team

I saw on the bug report list that you couldn’t reproduce this. I can assure you it is still an issue though.

I was playing today and experienced it.

What seems to cause the vanguard to not be selectable is when an effect shuffles the board. I use the VG Chandra Flamecaller a lot, and this bud seems to hit most often when I am using that card, although it certainly occurs otherwise.

edited October 2023

Hey, @boopers!
    It's not cool that's still happening but thank you so much for letting us know about it!

We've analysed some details and found some hypothesis for what may be happening. Please contact our support so we can gather some details about this problem to check it, OK?

Lu

• Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

Had this happen twice in the last few days- I don't have photos, but the common denominator was opponent shuffling the board. My VG that was on the board before the shuffle wouldn't respond to interaction post-shuffle, while those I cast after worked fine.

• Julie71

@Magic:PQ Support Team
    may or may not be related to this if needed I can start a new post. but. this lock seems to be related to the situation above.
    sen

• Killroy
    Killroy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited 24 January 2024, 23:51

I've noticed this more and more lately, where support gems and/or vg gems are being converted from one color, to another color, and is causing the vanguard or support to be non-interactive for the remainder of the match, or at times causes soft locks. Including screenshots to show below.

• Killroy
    Killroy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    edited 31 January 2024, 21:14

Almost every day, to every other day I seem to run into this. Using conversion and making the gems fall into place, and for whatever reason, the support/vanguard gem, is trying to be converted to another color, causing the soft lock.

This is troublesome, as getting this softlock in a coalition event, is going to ruin someone's day that's trying to be comptetive.

• Julie71

vis
    lock up on this current coalition event i will c if we cant get the battle log. @Magic:PQ Support Team

• BrSchnitz
    BrSchnitz Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    edited 10 March 2024, 00:50

Is this issue still being investigated? I just played a coalition match in which I had two vanguards active and on the battlefield. Scheming Fence was also in play, and it's responsible for the activated germs that you see .After Zariel use her loyalty ability and shuffled the board, my vanguards were no longer usable for the rest of the match. This is a critical issue that has been happening for years now. I suspect that the vanguards and activated gems were placed in the same spots, but I can't be sure of that. It just looks like it.

If you could please indicate whether this issue is still actually under investigation, we players would appreciate it. Thanks!