Danitha and Blade of Shared Souls needs a nerf.

Smokincookz
Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

If you don't have removal ready, it's basically game over after the opponent gets Danitha out. I've lost matches to this twice now, and more people keep fielding it.

Comments

• Falkyrk
    Falkyrk Posts: 4 Just Dropped In

This one just took me out of first place on turn 3. App crashes, loop decks, and card typos seem to be the norm these days.

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards

I fully appreciate the frustration playing against a deck like this. I fully agree the suggestion of limiting the Blade to 3 triggers per turn.

On the flip side - I do not recall having seen more than one Danitha (on the opponent’s side of the BF) in my last 50 matches (or more). So the combo may well be used often, but it is not the only deck you have to counter.

• fishiwan
    fishiwan Posts: 13 Just Dropped In

The real issue is that this infinite combo requires only two rares, and the AI opponent can win with it effortlessly. Every player who plays the daily events will have these cards soon, and neither one will rotate out of standard for years. If these cards don't get nerfed, we will very soon see them in every match that they can be used.

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

@fishiwan said:
    The real issue is that this infinite combo requires only two rares, and the AI opponent can win with it effortlessly. Every player who plays the daily events will have these cards soon, and neither one will rotate out of standard for years. If these cards don't get nerfed, we will very soon see them in every match that they can be used.

they already are, and it looks like @okagon_Support will not be changing anything although they haven't made a comment publicly they have sent responses via in game support.

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker

Its similar to Rem and Warfare, only 2 rares. Hopefully they will fix them in the MoM update.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker

@ArielSira said:
    Its similar to Rem and Warfare, only 2 rares. Hopefully they will fix them in the MoM update.

At least with that combo you had to get both cards into your hand to win. With Danitha/BOSS, you literally only have to play Danitha in order to put 2 massive creatures on the table... even Greg, who quits out of the loop counter first chance he gets, will make one of them lethally large in a single turn. Greg often plays Danitha as his first card in a match.

• LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker

This might be even worse than Ram+War, since Greg many times prioritize creatures over anything else, and will make Danitha first to cast.

But it is good to know that Octy does not give a f... about it... Thanks a lot, we appreciate it.

Basically coalition events can go down the sink, even the daily event sucks, because you run into this deck on the first node, and pick up the loss and you are locked out from the rest.

• ertaii
    ertaii Posts: 206 Tile Toppler

How can the Dev team NOT see that casting ONE card for 17 mana and getting an infinite power and toughness creature is totally preposterous!? Worse, the AI can totally pilot this so-called combo perfectly well.

My coalition, which is a top 10 coalition, had many loss to this exploit this weekend. That makes no sense at all.

Please fix it already.

I suggest deactivating Blade of SS until end of turn after its effect trigger. Or maybe setting a usage limit to three times per turn, in the same way you nerfed Machanized warfare

• boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2023

It’s simply not acceptable that you or the AI can win a match by playing one single card, that doesn’t care what else is in your deck. It’s not the same as a lot of other loopers with bladecoil, Omni or similar decks… because this combo doesn’t interact with the rest of the deck.

Is it an instant loss typically, no. But you get exactly one turn to respond… and then it can happen again while you are trying to meet an objective. It just should not exist.

And keep in mind that BoSS is not craftable yet… as soon as the next set hits, it WILL get worse.

We saw a similar problem with copying creatures with Naru, and the combo was getting increasingly prevalent every week, and really ruining the enjoyment of playing the game. Naru got nerfed, three or four times. It was necessary, and this is as well.

• Killroy
    Killroy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In

I agree that the combo needs a rework. Blade of Shared Souls is fine as is. But Danitha, Benalia's Hope and Godo, Warlord Bandit should both be reworked to "X times per turn". Similar to how Light Paws used to be infinite, and tuned to X times per turn.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

Great point, why was Light-Paws nerfed and this combo not? Is it because a popular video creator made a video asking you to nerf Light-Paws? Do you need a content creator to make a video explaining why this combo is bad for the game? Because I would be happy to do so.

• Anarchangel
    Anarchangel Posts: 42 Just Dropped In

I trust that you are letting folks have an infinite loop; they are of course popular. And that you are waiting to see if opponents facing it will hate it. Well, see that. We do. Don't sleep on this one. Thanks.

• LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker

I see some reasoning that they will not change as the behavior (the inevitable win) is not happening 100% of the time.

Well in that case I want back Rem + Warfare, please since it did not happen all the time either, right?

I had to have Rem and Warfare in my hand to go for it, and it did not happen 100% of the time. Let's say Greg had Rem, cast it in a turn, and only cast Warfare in the next turn, so it needed 2 turns, right? Let's see this one, Greg cast Danitha, but does not have Haste, so in that turn only grow Danitha into a huge hitter, and kills you only in the next turn, so that needs 2 turns too, right.

2 turn against 2 turn.

So @Oktagon_Support please restore Rem + Warfare as well, as it was originally. Since it did not happen 100% of the time. I mean if we leave a 2 rare card combo that can kill you in 2 turns, why stop there? Let's bring back the other one too! Please and thank you!

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker

Stop whining and play Kill Shot.

Seriously though, the last time a creature was this meta they changed it (Runaway Carriage), but that was the last company.

• Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2023

@Bubbles_CS
    Actually, I’m almost certain that Naru Meha used to have a similar OP loop, and was subsequently nerfed under Oktagon. I remember that combined with Chord of Calling, or similar fetch + mana or ETB.

• Janosik
    Janosik Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker

@Bubbles_CS said:

Seriously though, the last time a creature was this meta they changed it (Runaway Carriage), but that was the last company.

Runaway Carriage seems like a problem from a completely bygone era. It wasn't even a combo that could kill you in one attack, the combo just created a prevent damage blocker that you couldn't kill without untargeted removal. In these days of Phyrexian Vindicator, nerfing Runaway Carriage seems rather quaint...

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker

@Janosik said:

@Bubbles_CS said:

Runaway Carriage seems like a problem from a completely bygone era. It wasn't even a combo that could kill you in one attack, the combo just created a prevent damage blocker that you couldn't kill without untargeted removal. In these days of Phyrexian Vindicator, nerfing Runaway Carriage seems rather quaint...

I agree, the example is quaint. They made it irritating to see if they could warp the meta, and they did, but it was irritating. My observation is the connection that MtGPQ players seem to like non-interactive play. Anything strong enough to require a slot or two in your decklist gets this kind of reaction, and part of that is the stress the rewards system in this game puts on winning.

• TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 78 Match Maker
    edited June 2023

Any flash removal (Kill shot,prayer of binding, Leyline Binding, soul partition, etc) will kill the combo. As will a simple Supression Bonds.

Not saying the combo is not very powerful and efficient,(ive lost to it myself in a team event) but it's not like there are no answers. Prepare and think about the match you're going to play instead of simply clicking Fight! And Top players should know this and actually revel in the challenge instead of complaints that they lost points. Especially Ertaii :-) always playing Omni Gearhulk with NB3 on TotP (yawwwwn)

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

@Julie71 said:

@fishiwan said:

they already are, and it looks like @okagon_Support will not be changing anything although they haven't made a comment publicly they have sent responses via in game support.

Do you have examples of their response (IE Screenshots) I find that hard to believe that they'll let this combo continue.

It's Clearly broken like similar nerfed cards in the past. And honestly is the ONLY Combo I insta scoop to in events,

I've been fortunate enough to have only gotten it pulled on me in an event a couple of times, but each time was a loss.

It's broken and needs fixing, @Oktagon_Support , plain and simple.

Hope it get's addressed in the next update.

• gozmaster
    gozmaster Posts: 160 Tile Toppler

@TIMEWARP said:
    Any flash removal (Kill shot,prayer of binding, Leyline Binding, soul partition, etc) will kill the combo. As will a simple Supression Bonds.

Not saying the combo is not very powerful and efficient,(ive lost to it myself in a team event) but it's not like there are no answers. Prepare and think about the match you're going to play instead of simply clicking Fight! And Top players should know this and actually revel in the challenge instead of complaints that they lost points. Especially Ertaii :-) always playing Omni Gearhulk with NB3 on TotP (yawwwwn)

Those work if you're lucky enough to have them turn 2, but if you don't, it's gg.

Both times I've lost to it in events, i had absolutely no shot at countering it.