How are your ONE VG pulls working out for you?

Machine
Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor
edited May 2023 in MtGPQ General Discussion

Hi all,

I am interested in your experience regarding which vanguards from the ONE set you have pulled so far. I hear several complaints from my team mates that they keep pulling the same two vanguards over and over again. Now, I expect RNG to balance things out and usually people that are satisfied don't voice their findings. So... please let me know your results and see if RNG is rigged or not.

Team mate 1: Koth, Koth, Koth, Koth, The Eternal Wanderer
Team mate 2: Tyvar, Tyvar, Tyvar, Wanderer, Wanderer
Team mate 3: Koth, Koth, Tyvar, Tyvar, Nahiri, Nissa
Team mate 4: Kaya, Kaito, Kaya, Kaito
Team mate 5: Koth, Koth, Kaito, Koth, Koth, Kaito, Koth
Team mate 6 (the lucky one): Kaya, Kaito, Koth, Kaya, Wanderer.
Myself: Kaya, Kaya, Nissa, Kaito, Kaito, Kaito, Kaya, Nahiri

Decide for yourselves!

Edit: most of them have quit buying the rare packs as this is clearly a waste of pinks and a very bad experience.

Comments

• TIMEWARP
    TIMEWARP Posts: 78 Match Maker

Just added another Tyvar. So it's Tyvar, Tyvar, Tyvar, Wanderer, Wanderer, Tyvar.

Not a fun or engaging experience. I'm not a petty guy, but this is demoralizing.

• KrizzB
    KrizzB Posts: 91 Match Maker

I have pulled:
    6 Kaito
    5 Kaya
    3 Koth
    1 Wanderer

I just want Tyvar and Nissa 🤣

• Killroy
    Killroy Posts: 38 Just Dropped In

I settled pulling 10 times from the 120 pack, which is 1200 pinks. My results were 40% duplicates. Is it acceptable for a player to spend the rarest currency in the entire game on a pack where 40% of the time that same resource is wasted on duplicates? Apparently my 40% is on the low end of duplicates other players are getting. This is designed for one purpose, and one purpose only. To make the player keep playing as much as possible in hopes of beating the so called RNG, while draining the player of THE most valuable resource in game, and IRL, which is their personal time

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

My pulls have been Kaito, Kaya, Tyvar, Kaito, Kaya.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker

I didnt pay attention to what order my pulls were, but I ended up pulling kaya 3 times and everything else once.

• Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler

I did 5 pulls from the 120 packs and got 5 different rare Vanguards. I tried a 6th because I thought the packs were accidentally marked as non-dupe, but that turned out to be not true. Got a dupe on that 6th pull.

• Machine
    Machine Posts: 787 Critical Contributor

@Opperstamper said:
    I did 5 pulls from the 120 packs and got 5 different rare Vanguards. I tried a 6th because I thought the packs were accidentally marked as non-dupe, but that turned out to be not true. Got a dupe on that 6th pull.

Wow! That is great luck!

• Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler

@Machine said:

@Opperstamper said:

Wow! That is great luck!

I read a simulation in Goz's server that I am with the lucky 9% of players (ish)

• ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker

Also had 5 pulls for 120 pinks; 4 rares and 1 mythic, no dupes! Was very surprised by this.

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker

@ambrosio191 said:
    I didnt pay attention to what order my pulls were, but I ended up pulling kaya 3 times and everything else once.

I should add that I didnt get any mythics from the rare packs. I had 7 total pulls from the rare pack, then bought the mythics from the mythic pack.

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

I never use the 120 pink packs because they r not non-dupe.

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler

I wish they would have the cahonnays to just flat out say.... " pulls are based on a system ( if you have a large collection you 90% more likely to get dupes) or timed pulls or some cards have WAY higher percentages than others. There is NO WAY a random RNG will give me 3 koths back to back back then another koth... then a wanderer....then ANOTHER GD koth. I refuse to believe it.

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler

I'm gonna rant more lol. I'm convinced it's a pitty system. Ever since the 30th anniversary and obtaining all legacy cards I haven't pulled a mythic from a Pack naturally since. It's like the game clocked that I have opened x number of non duplicate cards and is now engaged in giving me nothing. Historically even on PP I usually buy 5-7 to try to burn through commons and uncommons. I have never gotten a mythic and average around 4 rares ( not including guaranteed rares.... which are usually duplicate)

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards

3 pulls from 120 packs a Koth and a Tyvar plus one duplicate (can’t remember which)

• QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited May 2023

We have been asking for years for pink rare packs to be non-dupe, and lose the ability to get a mythic upgrade from them in return. This would be a fair way to make pinks never feel wasted. Oktagon has completely ignored us.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker

Time on my hands to think about this at the moment, and I have two things to say.
    1. The odds. Personally, I've been lucky with the ONE Vanguards, got all the Rares in 8 or 9 pulls, but zero Mythics pulled this way. I certainly beat the odds. What are the odds? The chance of a Rare is 90% and there are 5 of them in the pack, so you have an 18% chance on any single pull of getting a specific card - say, that Koth you're after! Another way to express this is that on any one pull you have an 82% chance of NOT getting it, or (1 - p). Two pulls? This becomes (1 - p) squared - sorry don't know how to do superscript on this - and with n pulls, it becomes (1 - p) to the nth. So if you spend 1200 pinks chasing Koth and have 10 goes, you have a 13.7% chance of NOT getting it, or about 1 in 7. Sucks if you're the 1, and with a large user base that's a lot of people feeling unlucky. This becomes about 1 in 20 after 15 attempts, or one person in every coalition - you know who you are!!
    2. The whole non-dupe thing. Come on @Oktagon_Support it's time to stop this as it only causes resentment, which I'm 100% sure is not your intention. Gems can only be purchased in small amounts and a high cost in bundles with Crystals, Runes and sometimes cards, so I suspect very few people do this and there's no advantage to the developers in maintaining this system. Personally, I would remove Mythics from the Rare pack, and make them 240 Gems a go, all non-dupe, which would be fairer and bring them in line broadly with the Crystals cost of Fblthp alt art cards. Players will still have to grind to get those hard to find pinkies, but feel that it was time well spent for an acceptable reward.

• QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler

Why increase the cost? Mythics are generally more than twice as valuable as rares, so why make the rare more than half the cost of a mythic. Don’t put stupid ideas like that in Oktagon’s head, because they definitely run with them

• Smokincookz
    Smokincookz Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker

I guess I've been pretty lucky, but still wish they'd change the system.
    1st pull, Kaya. 2nd, Jace. 3rd & 4th both Tyvar.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker

@QuiksilverHg said:
    Why increase the cost? Mythics are generally more than twice as valuable as rares, so why make the rare more than half the cost of a mythic. Don’t put stupid ideas like that in Oktagon’s head, because they definitely run with them

You have to give a little to take some back - I bet most players would prefer to pay a bit more to get non-dupe Rare packs. Ask @Machine and their 1st team mate - 4 Koths in a row or pay more for guaranteed new cards?

• Epitymbidia
    Epitymbidia Posts: 21 Just Dropped In

Kaito, Tyvar, Kaito, Koth, Kaito, Kaito... Nothing to see, the rare vanguard packs have always been abysmally un-random.
    The rare WAR vanguard pack has given me more Thibalts than I can count at this point... same with the two rare Elspeths from Theros.