***** Jeffrey (Symbiote) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited May 2023 in Character Details

Jeffrey (Symbiote)
5-Star Rarity
Affiliations: Heroes, Non-Humans, Non-Humanoids, Avengers, Symbiote, Enhanced

"What happens when a genetically-engineered land shark with a ravenous appetite gets bonded with ever-hungry Venom? Well, you get the cutest little bitey black shark you've ever seen! While a bit confused sometimes at the extra voice in his head, Jeff has acclimated pretty well to the new urges to destroy. Or so Wade says. And if you can't trust Deadpool, who can you trust?"

Abilities listed at level 255/450
Health: 18073/72645

Powerful Friends - 9 Purple AP
It's a lot easier to hide your nature when your friends are a fire breathing mini-dragon and a genetically modified velociraptor. Lockheed creates a 1-turn Repeater tile that causes 310 damage per turn. Goose destroys 1 random enemy SAP tile(s). Lucky provides the pizza, giving allies a burst of 443 health. Tippy-toe drops acorns, dealing 664 damage, ignoring Protect tiles. Alligator Loki provides Jeff with cover, creating a 1-turn Invisibility Countdown tile targeting Jeff. (Max Level 1246/2671 damage, 1781 health)

• Level 2: Destroy 2 random SAP tiles.
  • Level 3: Repeater deals 353 damage. Burst heals 576 health. Tippy-toe deals 750 damage. (Max Level 1420/3018 damage, 2315 health)
  • Level 4: Destroy 3 random SAP tiles. Tippy-toe deals 883 damage. (Max Level 1420/3552 damage, 2315 health)
  • Level 5: Repeater deals 443 damage. Burst heals 665 health. Tippy-toe deals 1062 damage. Loki creates a 2-turn Invisibility tile. (Max Level 1782/4274 damage, 2672 health)

So Hungry - 8 Red AP
Jeff was hungry before, but bonded to a symbiote, their appetite more than doubled. Those guys won't need some of those little bits on the ends, right? Deal 664 damage and create a 2-turn Fortified Countdown tile that deals 664 damage per turn. When this tile expires, heals 1772 health. (Max Level 2671/2671 damage, 7122 health)
(PASSIVE) Symbiotes don't always agree, but Jeff gets along with about everyone. Allied Symbiotes gain 5% bonus match damage and reduce all damage by 3% as they cover for one another.

• Level 2: Deals 883 damage. CD tile deals 883 damage. Heals 2215 health. Symbiotes gain 7% bonus damage and reduce damage by 5%. (Max Level 3552/3552 damage, 8903 health)
  • Level 3: Deals 1109 damage. CD tile deals 1109 damage. Heals 2658 health. Symbiotes gain 10% bonus damage and reduce damage by 7%. (Max Level 4461/4461 damage, 10683 health)
  • Level 4: Deals 1328 damage. CD tile deals 1328 damage. Heals 3101 health. AFF4 gain 13% bonus damage and reduce damage by 10%. (Max Level 5342/5342 damage, 12464 health)
  • Level 5: Deals 1773 damage. CD tile deals 1547 damage. Heals 3544 health. AFF4 gain 20% bonus damage and reduce damage by 15%. (Max Level 7132/6223 damage, 14244 health)

Jeff! Eat That! - 6 Green AP
Jeffrey's stomach is made of iron, to start. With symbiote backup, they can eat about anything! Select a tile type: Strike, Attack, Protect, Abyss, Charged, or Web tile. Jeff eats all matching tiles, converting them to basic tiles, increasing match damage by 1% and heal by 2% per tile converted.

• Level 2: Increase match damage by 2%.
  • Level 3: Increase match damage by 3%.
  • Level 4: Increase match damage by 4%.
  • Level 5: Increase match damage by 5%. Heals for 3% health.

Feeder Updates

Release Events

Story
The Hunt: Florida - 4/6 - 4/10
Jeffrey (Symbiote) Shards and Event Token in Placement Rewards
Jeffrey (Symbiote) Event Token in Progression Rewards and Alliance Rewards

Infinite Pursuit - 4/9 - 4/12
Jeffrey (Symbiote) Legendary Token in Placement Rewards, Shards and Event Token in Progression Rewards, Legendary Token and Event Token in Alliance Rewards

Versus
MRRRR! - Jeffrey (Land Shark) - 4/6 - 4/10
Jeffrey (Symbiote) Shards in Placement Rewards, Event Token in Progression Rewards, Event Token in Alliance Rewards

So-fish-dicated Shark - Jeffrey (Symbiote) - 4/9 - 4/12
Jeffrey (Symbiote) Event Token in Progression Rewards, Event Token in Alliance Rewards

Offers
Big Goo Conspiracy Store - 4/6 - 4/10
Chance to get Jeffrey (Symbiote). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls

So Long and Gimme All Your Fish Vault 4/13 - 4/16
Chance to get Jeffrey (Symbiote). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls
40 Items:
○ 1x Land Shark Legendary Store Token
○ 1x 4-Star Gwenpool (Gwen Poole) cover
○ 3x Random 3-Star covers
○ 6x Heroic tokens
○ 4x 2500 Iso
○ 6x 1000 Iso
○ 5x 500 Iso
○ 14x Two stars

Land Shark Legendary Store - 4/13 - 4/16
15% chance to get Jeffrey (Symbiote), Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), and Spider-Man (Peter Parker)
Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 634 Critical Contributor

@gamecat235 said:
    This character looks fin-tastic. It will really mako my day when I can roster them so that they can sink their teeth into some of my opponents.

I see what you did there, nice work

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards

Oh look, another decent character with a bad Chasm counter stapled onto them for no reason!

Please stop.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2023

Green looks like a true heal? 12 AP and add another fin-ishing move and Chasm is swimming with the fishes.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2023

Hard counter to Chasm. I don't want to turn it into another counter Chasm, but his green ability mentioned Abyss tiles. Also, he's here to counter mThor too.

There doesn't seem to be anything else to talk about. This character is straightforward: 5/5/3. Other build is probably uncommon unless you need the extra healing or match damage boost.

Edit: entrailbucket is a 550 player but he doesn't hoard to pull for 550 after a year. He also has a high standard for counter: an automatic win when the counter team is used by AI. The win rate has to be close to 100%. Think Wanda/Colossus vs iHulkoye. As long as it doesn't fulfill these critieria, it's likely a bad counter.

• entrailbucket

Chasm passively creates 2 abyss tiles for every match he makes, and he passively resurrects if there are 4 or more tiles. He also passively drains AP every turn, making active powers difficult to cast.

This character has a 6ap active ability that can remove all the abyss tiles once. The very next turn, chasm will create between 2 and 24 abyss tiles passively, and go right back to draining your AP.

• ShionSinX
    ShionSinX Posts: 61 Match Maker
    edited April 2023

@HoundofShadow said:
    Hard counter to Chasm.

I dont agree with this. To be a hard counter they would need to stop everything Chasm does, which includes AP drain, healing, revival, high match damage and residual damage.

This character indirectly stops the revive and drain by removing abyss tiles but thats it, you still need to deal with everything else Chasm does while bringing his HP low enough so that you can finish him off while there are no abyss tiles on the board. Just using the ability doesnt stops Chasm from building abyss tiles back again in 1~2 turns if you didnt down him.

Like it was said above, just for having this one effect people will have expectations of it being a counter when its really not. Like 5hit-monkey, who struggles to stay alive to shot Chasm down with his red power.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Nobody ask you to fire his green ability, choose Abyss tile, and then end the turn. You fire his green ability followed by Kang's black when he's about to be downed. This is the most straightforward counter against them: Anti-AP drain, damage reduction, and anti-Abyss/web ability. Chasm also takes ton of damage himself each turn, which help you to take him down faster.

mThor is the next common shield sim opponent, and this would counter her as well. Polaris/BRB is still around. That makes it the third most common opponents in shield sim. This character green looks like a counter to the top three common shield sim teams for my mmr.

• liminal_lad

I think we're getting closer to a point where we have good pick 3 counters to the immortal bros. I don't this character is an auto-win or even part of an anti-Chasm pick 2, but we're GETTING THERE.

• entrailbucket

There's also the post from IceIX replying to me that explicitly says this isn't meant to be a Chasm counter.

Unless we're no longer overanalyzing their exact words and taking them as gospel?

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2023

@entrailbucket said:
    Oh look, another decent character with a bad Chasm counter stapled onto them for no reason!

Please stop.

Define decent? Looks terrible imo.

Red appears to be the characters best ability and it has lower percentages than colo yellow.

As for green, why not add countdown and repeaters tiles? and it does not specify friendly or enemy tiles. Probably makes a passive special tile generator a good partner. In 5* I can only think pp spider-man. Probably a good teamup.

Let's hope testers win less than 10% of it's matches and we get all new abilities.

Edit:
    I don't think green ability can be a team-up.

• entrailbucket

@Codex said:

@entrailbucket said:

Please stop.

Define decent? Looks terrible imo.

Red appears to be the characters best ability and it has lower percentages than colo yellow.

As for green, why not add countdown and repeaters tiles? and it does not specify friendly or enemy tiles. Probably makes a passive special tile a good partner. In 5* I can only think pp spider-man. Probably a good teamup.

Let's hope testers win less than 10% of it's match and get all new abilities.

I'm assuming the damage numbers will be worth something, and that the affiliation isn't useless. AP costs aren't crazy, and the effects seem ok. Generally they've done ok with the numbers so far, but I suppose there have been a few exceptions.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2023

I'm so tired of all this anti chasm talk.
    I wish you would remove him from the game so I don't need to hear about him all the time.

Chasm on his own, is easy, and sucks.

Chasm with the revive peeps are a challenge but getting less and less in a pick 3. They are never around in pick two.

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker

I still think Night Nurse:
    the healing, the sense of curing, removing ailments.

The true heal alone is worth building around.

I don’t need a counter for Chasm. Keep making good chars!

• liminal_lad
    edited April 2023

Now that I sit with this, I realize my optimism was irrational. This new character also clarifies for me how came breaking Chasm is:

If any power is going to unseat him, it needs to be passive or cheap. That’s going to mean that anyone who can beat him is almost definitely going to be OP against everyone else. I know this isn’t new, but he really does break the game.

On topic: I still feel like this character could be fun and had great utility against mThor as others have said.

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler

We essentially know the final numbers. Majority of the character's power are percent based. And those that aren't say low or moderate damage.

Let's also not forget ihulk in the chasm duo, will be negating green. So finding green matches will be lower. Instead of doing match damage and heal they should have done permanent damage.

There is some hope as utility if aff4 is overused affiliation like X-Men or mutants.

To be clear I am not explicitly arguing this is a bad chasm counter. I am saying it is bad overall.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

There are some interesting purple abilities at the 5* tier, I hope one day we get a 5* battery there.