Unstable ISO-8 Rerun 4/1 - 4/7

Comments

• I missed this event the first time around.
    Could any kind and knowledgeable veterans please tell me what to expect?
  • I missed this event the first time around.
    Marvel Puzzle Quest wiki page

The map is just a world map with a handful of nodes open at any given time. There are no subs, just the main bracket and the nodes that are open change after X hours.

The in-game announcement doesn't mention a new character, so presumably this won't be the Torch release tourney (the last Unstable ISO-8 event gave us IW). Expect at least one node per "refresh" to require one of the new-ish characters (Lazy Thor, Lazy Cap, BP, or Psylocke).
  • Thanks for that. I didn't think to look up the wiki page. icon_e_confused.gif
    Wow, that looks pretty old.
    500HP rewards for the top 50? icon_e_surprised.gif
    Covers at 1-3, 4-15, 16-50.
    I'd love the cover rewards to be the same now.
    The current 1-2, 3-10, 11-25 is pretty stingy in comparison.
    Especially with the increased player base, I assume.

Seems like the game was much more generous back then.
  • They were more generous back then b/c they were trying to build their playerbase. Now that the base has matured and filled out, they're dialing rewards back to a more stable and sustainable route (for the presumable balance b/w long-term health of the game and monetization).
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Do one full run through every mission once, and the essential missions with the required char twice more (so 1x each, 3x essential).
    Then do 3x essentials for every refresh you choose to do.

Of course you miss out on a bit of ISO, but keep your sanity.

Just want to reiterate this as the strategy I used in the last event. Scored 250k and a top ten finish. Would have probably won first or second if I was actually able to compete in the last few hours of the event.

Left a good chunk of ISO 'on the table', but I was facing all lvl 100 enemies by the end of the event.
    I missed this event the first time around.

Lots of Juggernaut fights.
  • Toxicadam wrote:
    Lots of Juggernaut fights.

Oh joy. icon_rolleyes.gif

I still wish that the top rewards were a little more generous, say 1-3, 4-15, 16-30.
    Nothing dramatic but slightly more rewards for those who put in the effort to get near the top of the leaderboard.

With the way they've gutted the lower tier rewards to a single 2* cover, I'm just glad I don't need those anymore.
    I can only imagine it must be much harder for newer players to assemble a reasonable 2* roster now.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Now that you've told people how you won, if they all do it, you'll have to grind more than what you told them to win now right? Its all scaling based on how many people do what you do. The less people know the optimal strategy, the easier it is for everyone.
  • wirius wrote:
    Now that you've told people how you won, if they all do it, you'll have to grind more than what you told them to win now right? Its all scaling based on how many people do what you do. The less people know the optimal strategy, the easier it is for everyone.

True... but I would be shocked if this incarnation of Unstable Iso-8 did not come with all of the modern PvE event "conveniences", such as rubberbanding, scaling, and alliance rewards that did not exist the first time the event was run. (Example: The last Hulk run versus the original two runs of the event)

I would also expect the combinations of encounters on nodes to be considerably different from their original incarnation as well.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Is it NOT to grind the missions too much, only trying to play optimally and completely giving up on trying to get every 500 ISO reward?
    This.
    Do one full run through every mission once, and the essential missions with the required char twice more (so 1x each, 3x essential).

This got me to top 2 in the main of the simulator with 272k points, playing only one session per day.
    Initial runthrough takes about 45 mins hard + normal, after that 30 mins for each sub.

Didn't see a single 230 the whole event - at least in the required nodes, I didn't even look at the other missions after the first go.

I pretty much do this but I grind a little more just for fun, I try to keep points below 1000, if I grind them below that I leave them alone, I just try to stay in the top 50 in the overall and push if I feel threatened, the key isn't to always wait as you can lose out on possible points if you don't play enough.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    wirius wrote:
    I'd be surprised if a few more forum goers playing more optimally forced me to grind more to stay in the range of my desired rewards. You always run the risk of an all-crazies bracket.
  • Unknown
    edited April 2014
    I think I'll start crying. I liked how empty is the event page now. It's so relaxing when there is almost nothing running. Play 3-4 matches in Fearless Defenders and then relax since there is nothing for you to win (or even worse lose). I think the thing I am most excited about is the LRs. Finally a way to make some ISO. The pve events are fine, but I end up using so many boosts (especially that +1 B/P is evil. I never get it as a win reward) they barely make a difference. And I see another pvp starting at 07/02. Please devs, show some mercy. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Is it NOT to grind the missions too much, only trying to play optimally and completely giving up on trying to get every 500 ISO reward?
    This.

This got me to top 2 in the main of the simulator with 272k points, playing only one session per day.
    Initial runthrough takes about 45 mins hard + normal, after that 30 mins for each sub.

Didn't see a single 230 the whole event - at least in the required nodes, I didn't even look at the other missions after the first go.

that was me almost verbatim; the only 200+ I saw was in the "non-essential" (daisy-chained) missions, so I didn't bother with it. Even the Hard level had at most L160 near the end (on the floaty high point missions). I finished with 260K, didn't tinykitty at the game, and still had a life. A life which involved shovelling a lot of snow.... over and over ...
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    ^ Where do you live, Canada?
  • considering last event was lazy cap, I wasn't willing to grind at all, ended up with 120ish fights so it wasn't too bad.
    alliance got the free cap cover so it's not like you have to fight to get one for the next event. I'm hoping this event we get lazy thor covers, I'd take that over cap any day.
  • wirius wrote:

Every time I enter a sub right before it ends, it's already putting me in a bracket of people all doing the same thing.
  • A significant data package was pushed a few moments ago to my phone.

30 minutes until "go" time?
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's live!

And 3* Torch as a reward
  • Okay not entirely sure how useful Torch will be at 141 but he certainly looks to be fun.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited April 2014
    eek an actually achievable and probably useful Torch
    Haven't seen the art yet, nor read the skills, BUT EXCITED

edit: a new ability costing 5 AP, I guess Phantron will be outraged that yet another character is 'over-budgeted'.

I will try my best to lay my hands on Torch, I don't care if it sounds dirty :>
  • MTGOFerret wrote:
    Okay not entirely sure how useful Torch will be at 141 but he certainly looks to be fun.

Any spoliers for those of us at work who can't go look till later? icon_e_smile.gif