New Supports Experience Blog

S0kun
S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 339 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2023 in MPQ General Discussion

Hi all,

Thanks again for patiently waiting on this! As promised, here's our latest blog about the current plans for Supports and what you can expect to see in the future!

https://mpq.social/nsb

IceIX Edit:
Some Q&A from this thread (Combined and paraphrased, of course)

How will this be rolled out in PVP? Is there a timeline?

• We'll be rolling this out in stages, with certain events being tests of the system. It will not be a case of "New PVP Season, now use Supports". We're looking at around 6 months for a relatively full roll out, so we've all got time to put this out right.

It sounds like this will make it even harder to get a good defense team going in PVP. How is this going to be solved so that we don't just get hit more?

• This is what running Supports on certain events will be for before rolling it out as a normal thing. We see situations when looking at this system where people will be able to make some pretty strong defensive teams that make use of Supports to do the exact opposite. It's going to be hard to say before we run some real world tests. Our QA can run as many sims as we can (and will!) but give our galaxy mind player-base an hour and they'll come up with 3 characters and 3 Supports that no one considered to break everything.

Are rewards going to be increased for PVP due to the increased complexity of the mode?

• No plans with this rollout, BUT we're in the midst now of some various economy updates, some of which may be out by the time all this is really getting rolling. So... yes but no?

How will you be rebalancing Supports so they can be used in both PVE and PVP? Worried about some useful PVE supports being nerfed so they don't destroy PVP.

• Older Supports will be updated to be more useful in general, but we're not planning on removing their "flavor" if at all possible. Taskmaster's Sword isn't suddenly going to stop being good against Heroes. The plan is more that you may not want Taskmaster's Sword against all Heroes, because using 3 others that do things that help your specific setup may be better all around than a generalist "Moar damage" approach. In short, not planning on doing nerfs to favor one mode or another. It's most likely that if something like this were to come up, we'd make a modal PVE/PVP ability so that you could keep the PVE coolness without breaking everything in PVP or vice versa.

How will leveling up Supports across ranks work?

• More specific info to come, but the base idea is that you'll be able to get Shards of Supports, and when you get enough Shards, you can use some to rank up the Support to the next rank.

How are Supports going to be gained moving forward? A couple tokens a month even with ranking up means we're never going to be able to level these.

• More specific info to come here, but yes, we'll be improving methods of gaining Supports. We agree that the current outlay isn't enough to appreciably level any particular Support without extreme luck. Additionally, with Shards it will be easier for us to push those related rewards everywhere, and Wildcard Support shards will let people be more focused in their targeting.

Comments

• kirk justice
    kirk justice Posts: 60 Match Maker

Personally, these changes sound really cool and will help create more variety in team building. I hope that these new supports/reworks of existing supports are maybe even able to bring characters into the meta who haven't had the chance to shine. Really excited for when supports come to PvP.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Supports in PVP on offense and defense.
    This will be SO MUCH FUN.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

Supports will be upgradeable, coming to pvps and in other reward structures. Classic supports will receive some changes.

I can't wait for supports to make it way to PvPs. And AI will have supports equipped.

Krakoa support looks great.

I wonder how many are going to quit MPQ because Support is enabled for AI in pvps. And this means Chasm won't be nerfed. :s

Will essential nodes and CN opponents have the ability to use supports as well?

• AdeptusRevolt
    AdeptusRevolt Posts: 85 Match Maker

Will infinity stones be more attainable?

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,836 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

I'm happy to see the upgrade the Supports.

While I think it's neat for PvP, I'd prefer if it were limited to Offensive only. No matter how great the upcoming UI will be it, it will be alot to manage to see what the opponent is using, and what each support does for their team. By the time I figure it out, I'll get hit 2-5x :(

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler

@Bowgentle said:
    Also, you needed Marvel's approval for THAT? Why in the world.

It likely has to do with the artwork on the supports so that it does not leak any ongoing projects.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

@Codex said:

@Bowgentle said:
    Also, you needed Marvel's approval for THAT? Why in the world.

It likely has to do with the artwork on the supports so that it does not leak any ongoing projects.

Ahhh that could be it, thank you.

• HoundofShadow

Apocalypse firing his yellow power or BRB firing his Skuttlebutt on turn 1 is turning into reality soon. :D

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler

@justsing said:
    Did you guys seriously look at the current state of PVP (with Chasm in all his glory) and thought adding supports to it would be a good idea?!?!?!

And if Chasm happens to keep certain support powers from triggering at start, then people will have even more reason to just keep using him?

Have you seen the abundance of green ap generated at the start of turn supports? Equip any to mThor and Riri stun chasm while you build up charges. The only issue would be if chasm's ability also stops supports attached from activating at the start of turn, which i don't believe BCS would let happen.

Imo mThor/Riri will take over PvP as soon as supports are enabled.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards

Now we not only will leave out a defensive team but we'll also leave out that team with defensive supports :D

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out in PvP. I imagine they are going to reign in all those +X AP at start of battle supports to provide only 1-2 AP or remove the gain all together.

I really do wish they had changed the perks to be offense and defense so that they worked differently when defending in PvP to balance them better.

One obvious unanswered question is are they going to remove the 3 swaps per day limit because that may not be enough anymore. Even if they charge say 1000-5000 Red ISO to make swaps after the 3 free ones.

KGB

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

@Tony_Foot said:
    God boosted 5* giving you a huge kick in the groin on turn one. What an awesome decision. That won’t be rage inducing at all. The game and supports were not built for defence PvP. The game needs a total rework and rebalance for that, or MPQ2.

I have little doubt in my mind that this will be back tracked on because they are about to annoy the hell out of the longest standing and paying players. I want them on offence, always have. I love supports and like the idea of upgrading them. Having them on defence reduces an already shrinking number of targets in your queue.

If it lasts a month I will be surprised. I don’t want these people running the game anymore. I have little to no faith in their direction they are taking the game. I feel the things they are trying to shoe horn in only works with a complete reset and start again of the game.

I also don’t feel they tell the truth, last week I asked if the new support was going into PVP so I could make a choice to buy or not. Less than a week later it seems they either didn’t know about it or I was lied to.

Hi @Tony_Foot , I was the one that responded on the PvP point. I asked IceIX on Discord and the response I got was posted (albeit paraphrased). It said edit - now copied from thread "Supports won't go into PvP (at least not yet - not ruling it out in the future) - can't without UI changes anyway.". I still think this is correct (and I'd not seen the blog before it was released) though it does appear that the future is a little closer than I'd thought, though I have no idea when the UI changes will be implemented to allow it.

• HoundofShadow

Supports are places or non-humans in the future. I doubt Chasm can stun non-characters.

And supports heading into pvps is inevitable. They already said it will be a phased approach, so Support won't be activated tomorrow. Adapt or perish. :D

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards

@Daredevil217 said:

@Scofie said:

@Tony_Foot said:
    God boosted 5* giving you a huge kick in the groin on turn one. What an awesome decision. That won’t be rage inducing at all. The game and supports were not built for defence PvP. The game needs a total rework and rebalance for that, or MPQ2.

I have little doubt in my mind that this will be back tracked on because they are about to annoy the hell out of the longest standing and paying players. I want them on offence, always have. I love supports and like the idea of upgrading them. Having them on defence reduces an already shrinking number of targets in your queue.

If it lasts a month I will be surprised. I don’t want these people running the game anymore. I have little to no faith in their direction they are taking the game. I feel the things they are trying to shoe horn in only works with a complete reset and start again of the game.

I also don’t feel they tell the truth, last week I asked if the new support was going into PVP so I could make a choice to buy or not. Less than a week later it seems they either didn’t know about it or I was lied to.

Hi @Tony_Foot , I was the one that responded on the PvP point. I asked IceIX on Discord and the response I got was posted (albeit paraphrased). It said edit - now copied from thread "Supports won't go into PvP (at least not yet - not ruling it out in the future) - can't without UI changes anyway.". I still think this is correct (and I'd not seen the blog before it was released) though it does appear that the future is a little closer than I'd thought, though I have no idea when the UI changes will be implemented to allow it.

Well that announcement cost them my 30 bucks (or whatever it was) because I definitely would’ve bought it had I had not been told supports were PVE only. And now the sale is over. This my dear friend Hound is why timing does matter on these announcements/sales. Ah well. Their loss.

Don't worry. They will re-run the offer but now at a higher price since the announcement they are coming to PvP. So those who bought early get a discount :p

KGB