***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards

@liminal_lad said:

@LavaManLee said:
    Nice call. Wanda Okoye worked quite well. Played against champed Elektra / Crystal / SC. Concentrated on matching the demon tiles first, team ups second and everything else third. Able to beat them quite easily.

Wanda Apoc not as lucky. Played vs Abigal / Kitty / Dormammu. Kitty ate up the tiles and lost fairly unexpectedly.

Dormammu?

My bad. Thinking about Doctor Strange and accidentally typed that. Gargantos.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

@LavaManLee said:

@liminal_lad said:

@LavaManLee said:
    Nice call. Wanda Okoye worked quite well. Played against champed Elektra / Crystal / SC. Concentrated on matching the demon tiles first, team ups second and everything else third. Able to beat them quite easily.

Wanda Apoc not as lucky. Played vs Abigal / Kitty / Dormammu. Kitty ate up the tiles and lost fairly unexpectedly.

Dormammu?

My bad. Thinking about Doctor Strange and accidentally typed that. Gargantos.

I was wondering if I had missed something in the game.

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor

Any fun teams brewing other than boosters/Wanda?

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

Non-speed wise, my winfinite of Echo/Modok should be fine. I'll give it a try after I champ her next month. If only 5* and 3* Magik switch tiers, this could be better with the +250% match damage.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@fight4thedream said:

@Glockoma said:
    Any fun teams brewing other than boosters/Wanda?

For PvE, Apocalypse/Magik/3* Thanos
    Magik should be tanking all colors except yellow and maybe blue which means besides those colors, Magik's matches are being boosted by Apocalypse.

Some further notes from my initial impression:

If you are looking for speed, then you are really going to want to focus on her Red Passive match damage boost ability and will have to run her with a booster type character ,specifically Apocalypse, and need her tanking as many colors as possible, .

Her demon tile simply functions like a nice bonus hit rather than her premier ability. I am still scratching my head why this needed to be nerfed but maybe there's a strategy there I am missing.

Having tested her with Apocalypse, Okoye and Emma, Apoc definitely takes the cake if you have a support that gives you Yellow AP at beginning of the battle. The problem there is that Apocalypse has better dance partners: mainly BRB and Kamala. I also found myself favoring Apoc's black and red for obvious reasons (hits harder, better damage).

She doesn't really have great synergy with Okoye if you are looking to maximize Magik's damage output since they both want to be tanking but there are potential viable teams for initial PvE clear.

As for Emma, I don't think her boost does enough. The teams I have tried with Emma and Magik aren't really all that impressive in terms of speed.

In short, she pairs well with Apocalypse (which is nice lore-wise) but he has a lot better synergy with established PvE teams.

I'm not surprised that Emma was underwhelming as a partner. her boost is % based, and magik's nerf left her absolute numbers pretty low (as intended, since the synergy with emma was seemingly the reason she was nerfed at all). So Apoc + a fast yellow cast is probably the best option. Is a Kamar-taj equipped Wang as the 3rd wheel now ideal for this pairing? boost yellow, cast immediately thanks to the support, and then enjoy lots of boosted passive damage ticks. Not sure that is appreciably better than something like hulkoye + gorr.

I think we are still 1 character short of a real all-permanent damage team. If a future 5* who can play well with magik and either garg or crystal arrives then I think we might be able to give it a try. But as is I don't think there is any particular synergy.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards

I’m a big fan of Wong (kamar taj) and Okoye (Royal talon fighter) with Magik.

My Wong is champed and if you start off with those strikes, the damage is pretty big. AND the first yellow cast costs -2 AP so it’s perfect for Okoye. I put chimichangas on Magik for forts and more AP in purple and red.

Emma’s boost is good for the demons and the repeaters but it doesn’t add to the perma-match damage.

• wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2023

I think 5Magik work quite well with 4Human Torch. Her power is cheaper causing HT to fortified her repeater every time she fired her pwoer. Once there are lots of repeater, can fire HT's red for high damage. A good third maybe with Ronan with his blue and maybe also Cable.

• EienRyuu
    EienRyuu Posts: 78 Match Maker

I like her design. I may be on team "blonde" when I saw her. xD And I definitely prefer the 5 version design.
    Ability-wise - a pure damage dealer. I don't think I will be rostering her because my target is elsewhere at the moment but if I come across a cover of her I wouldn't mind it. :)

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2023

Someone convince me she's good. Aside from the "well when boosted" typical saying. Having a hard time deciding if I want to bother pulling LLs with Wong and Magik present, I really only care about finishing Kang.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards

Just my opinion: there is no way I can convince you she is good. However, I do think she is better than Jeff. He may be a cute shark, but I can't see him being more useful than Magik. Again, JMHO.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards

@tonypq said:
    Someone convince me she's good. Aside from the "well when boosted" typical saying. Having a hard time deciding if I want to bother pulling LLs with Wong and Magik present, I really only care about finishing Kang.

If you're always running her with a power booster, she's pretty good against enemies who heal a lot.

That's all I've got, sorry.

• Tiger_Wong

She’s borderline deadly with strikes and damage amplifiers. Actually, Wong may be her best partner.

• Mrcl25
    Mrcl25 Posts: 137 Tile Toppler

I'm still waiting to see what's so special about her that made the devs feel like they had to nerf her.

• Tiger_Wong

No you’re not

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

I've already done the math a few pages back.

When she's alone without booster, her repeater is dealing +15% more damage per Demon Repeater. Getting 8 out isn't difficult. That would be + 120% more damage boost for each repeater. Her repeater is dealing 2315 damage each currently. So, each would be dealing 5093 damage. Under her "pre-nerf" damage, it would be 5692 and 25% damage. Each repeater, with 8 on the board, would be dealing 17076 each.

With Emma at 0 red ap and 8 Demon Repeaters out, they are dealing 300% more damage each instead. We are looking at each repeater dealing at least 40k damage each. That's a total of at least 320k damage for a level 450 character, passively. Not even iHulkoye at 550 can match her damage. At 550, it would be 690k damage instead, "pre-nerf".

Your argument might be we already have Kang or SC, these damage are nothing. Still, this game is about synergy, and not about how each character's raw damage should always be high. This game is largely a pick-2 or pick-3, and not a game ruled by pick-1.

• entrailbucket

It is not easy to get 8 repeaters out. I have her championed, I've been using her quite a bit, and I've never seen more than 3 or 4 repeaters at a time.

The problem is that they can only go on red, so unless you're using someone to add red tiles to the board, it's not terribly easy to make red matches and still have 8 red tiles for repeaters.

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023

I easily see 4 or more though. You just need to put more thoughts into team compositions and how you match.

• entrailbucket

Maybe you can post a video of 5-10 matches in a row where your superior thought is able to get 8 repeaters on the board at once.

Until then, I really don't think it's fair to judge Magik based on her theoretical maximum damage, when reaching that level is somewhere between very rare and impossible.