***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

I dont know if Polaris is boosted by Okoye, but i do know Polaris is boosted by the Vibranium Ore Team up and 4Juggs is not.
    I passingly remember they reverted his bonus damage to match damage and not ability damage, but that was years ago and I could be ****. So im not sure.

**edit it was probably that post

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

@dianetics said:
    I dont know if Polaris is boosted by Okoye, but i do know Polaris is boosted by the Vibranium Ore Team up and 4Juggs is not.
    I passingly remember they reverted his bonus damage to match damage and not ability damage, but that was years ago and I could be ****. So im not sure.

**edit it was probably that post

Polaris is definitely boosted by Okoye.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards

Looks like I was wrong about OBW too, but maybe I was misremembering how it worked in some ancient version.

Anyway, the point of all this is -- it's unclear whether Okoye etc boosting Magik is by design, because the precedent is kind of all over the place and we've never definitively heard from them what the actual criteria are.

• entrailbucket
    edited March 2023

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Omg…. 😂 did somebody seriously just say the devs should add “this attack can be boosted”?

🤣

Ya’ll seriously don’t want to do ANYTHING huh?

Why have power descriptions at all then? Just list the cost, and let players figure out what the power does.

Or, keep the cost secret too! Asking how much a power costs to use is just laziness, everyone should be able to figure that out on their own!

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,383 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

She should be boosting Magik...the real question is after all this time why doesn't Juggs get boosted he is the black sheep.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

Well, I say the same that many hours ago.
    Why this character and others not?
    The monkey has 35% bonus against villains, wong has supernatural affiliation bonus. The monkey could have a wonderful 65% against villains, but sadly it doesn't stack (I'm not in kansas but my app just works in this way).
    The monkey could be great, wong could be great, but it doesn't work.
    Why exactly now magik is a killer and others characters not?

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

@entrailbucket said:

@Tiger_Wong said:
    Omg…. 😂 did somebody seriously just say the devs should add “this attack can be boosted”?

🤣

Why have power descriptions at all then? Just list the cost, and let players figure out what the power does.

Or, keep the cost secret too! Asking how much a power costs to use is just laziness, everyone should be able to figure that out on their own!

What we really need is an extra icon on each character's power like a ? that you can click and get more details about the 'kind' of damage that it is (for powers with multiple damage we need a description for each on this extra details page).

That's because we have multiple types of damage in the game (match, power, tile destruction etc). Each of those damage types has it's own set of rules on what boosts it and what stacks etc. That way we'd know for sure since so many powers have ambiguous descriptions since many were written a LONG time ago.

Unfortunately the number of hours it would take is probably prohibitive for it to ever get done so we are left doing it ourselves and making a Wiki some place.

KGB

• 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler

Polaris definitely boosted by Okoye. Polaris/Oko/KK is an epic damage engine, once it gets going.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards

🤣 this is hilarious. Absolutely, 100% hilarity.

Now we got strawman arguments?! 😂 I can’t breathe! 😂

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

If I was mocking others thinking that a failure in a programming design is actually the ok version, it would be me the one who couldn't breathe later :D

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards

Whether or not this is working as intended is a pull or not situation for me. Definitely need the devs to weigh in.

• entrailbucket
    edited March 2023

@KGB said:

@entrailbucket said:

@Tiger_Wong said:

🤣

What we really need is an extra icon on each character's power like a ? that you can click and get more details about the 'kind' of damage that it is (for powers with multiple damage we need a description for each on this extra details page).

That's because we have multiple types of damage in the game (match, power, tile destruction etc). Each of those damage types has it's own set of rules on what boosts it and what stacks etc. That way we'd know for sure since so many powers have ambiguous descriptions since many were written a LONG time ago.

Unfortunately the number of hours it would take is probably prohibitive for it to ever get done so we are left doing it ourselves and making a Wiki some place.

KGB

Something like this may not be completely crazy -- it just depends on how they've got this stuff coded. I agree that updating/steamrolling all the descriptions is probably not gonna happen now, especially because most of them contain tons of flavor text too.

But the power descriptions definitely aren't how this stuff is coded in the backend and if the code is mostly uniform you could do this with a couple regexes. I'm not sure they'd ever prioritize it, but who knows.

• Vhailorx

@dianetics said:
    She should be boosting Magik...the real question is after all this time why doesn't Juggs get boosted he is the black sheep.

Juggs doesn't get boosted because his power was explicitly excluded from damage boosts. It was clearly a conscious choice as he launched right as the reality of the damage-boost meta was setting in for demi. the quote from demiurge_anthony here on the forums was "Juggernaut's power Collateral Damage will not activate Okoye's power Wakanda Forever as it is associated with making a match." (quote is available at https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/79212/juggernaut-fear-itself/p2 if anyone wants to check.)

I imagine you can all have lots of fun dissecting that quote.

• entrailbucket

That's the exact quote I was thinking of here.

Also interesting -- Magik's base damage got significantly reduced because of how she interacts with power boosters. Instead of doing that, they could have just done what they did to Juggernaut, since that was a choice they made. I wonder why they picked the route that they did.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

All of her damage is power damage (power of the Phoenix) so it makes sense that it all can be boosted by Okoye who typically boosts what we call super powers.

Juggs made sense as collateral match damage due his physical size so it wasn't boosted by WF (I mean WF is awesome but it can't really increase his physical mass).

KGB

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

The contradiction in Juggernaut's AoE is that it doesn't get boosted by Okoye but it triggers Kitty's attack tiles. Both relates to power, and not match damage.

Also, Wong is the only character who treats web and Abyss tiles as special tiles.

The dev probably made Emma and Magik ability stack deliberately.

• Vhailorx
    edited March 2023

@HoundofShadow said:
    The contradiction in Juggernaut's AoE is that it doesn't get boosted by Okoye but it triggers Kitty's attack tiles. Both relates to power, and not match damage.

Also, Wong is the only character who treats web and Abyss tiles as special tiles.

The dev probably made Emma and Magik ability stack deliberately.

Not much of a contradiction. Strike tiles have always boosted match and power damage. That us a big part of why they have always been the most valuable kind of special tile.

Damage boosters came along much later and have always worked in very different ways.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm talking about Juggernaut's AoE which triggers Kitty's red cd that creates 9 attack tiles. Kitty mentioned that only powers can trigger her red cd. The argument is that Juggernaut AoE is triggered via match damage, so it's not boosted by Okoye.

• Vhailorx

@HoundofShadow said:
    I'm talking about Juggernaut's AoE which triggers Kitty's red cd that creates 9 attack tiles. Kitty mentioned that only powers can trigger her red cd. The argument is that Juggernaut AoE is triggered via match damage, so it's not boosted by Okoye.

That's what they demi said, but I think it has always been pretty clear that juggs is coded as ower damage with a special "no boost" modifier applied specially.

• entrailbucket

Right -- the general idea of damage boosters vs strike tiles does make sense. Strike tiles can boost more things and stack with more things, because they're much more vulnerable. They're on the board so you can match them and interact with them directly.

A boost like Okoye, SW or Emma can't/shouldn't generally be as good as strike tiles because it's significantly less interactive. You can sort of control Okoye's, kind of, you can't do much about SW, and the only way to turn off Emma's is to stun or kill her.

If the power boosts were able to boost all the things that strike tiles could boost, then strike tiles would be obsolete (and...they kind of are). Match damage was really the one last advantage that strike tiles had.

(Don't get me started on protect tiles vs damage mitigation passives, they completely screwed that up with SW and Colossus)