***** Magik (Phoenix Five) *****

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards

Seems ok but not great. The demon gimmick is neat but they're 2-turn unfortified repeaters, so they're not going to go off that much. The permanent damage on her other powers is pretty low -- I wouldn't want to kill Chasm that way (but Hulk, we might have something there).

I think she really needs a booster to be useful, but she might be useful with a booster. Also it'd be important to find out if her extra match damage is boosted.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

@Codex said:

@HoundofShadow said:
    Most of her powers are straightforward and she will be a good asset against characters who can heal consistently or frequently, and her powers are thematically fitting.

The only part of her ability I don't understand is this:

Maximum 5 Demons, +2 each time this ability is used.

Is the maximum number ofDemons 5 or is the number as high as 64, theoretically speaking?

It can be as high as 64 theoretically...but to get there you would need to cast black 30 times.

She starts with max 3 demons and adds +2 more to her max each time Black is cast at 1 cover.
    At 5 covers she starts with a max of 4 demons (starting max gets raised at 4 covers) and +5 more each time Black is cast.

So to reach 64 Demons at 5 covers you only need to cast 12x, not 30.

This power will do some crazy damage to goons who won't be able to remove them. As mentioned, MThor will wreck this power but against most other teams this will be a very viable power once you get 5 Demon repeaters out doing +125% damage or 12807 per Demon repeaters or 60K damage.

Seems like lots of viable ways to play her depending on the opposing team since all powers are cheap.

Unfortunately I don't think she pairs especially well with any of the other Phoenix 5 team. She has some OK partners there but no great pairing.

KGB

• Codex
    Codex Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    edited March 2023

@KGB said:

@Codex said:

@HoundofShadow said:
    Most of her powers are straightforward and she will be a good asset against characters who can heal consistently or frequently, and her powers are thematically fitting.

The only part of her ability I don't understand is this:

Maximum 5 Demons, +2 each time this ability is used.

Is the maximum number ofDemons 5 or is the number as high as 64, theoretically speaking?

It can be as high as 64 theoretically...but to get there you would need to cast black 30 times.

She starts with max 3 demons and adds +2 more to her max each time Black is cast at 1 cover.
    At 5 covers she starts with a max of 4 demons (starting max gets raised at 4 covers) and +5 more each time Black is cast.

So to reach 64 Demons at 5 covers you only need to cast 12x, not 30.

KGB

Lol. I see my mistake. I miss the days of does x damage for x ap.

Got another question. Does 5emma power boost work on the permanent match damage of magik? If it does LVL 450 it does 8k permanent damage on match 3.

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 557 Critical Contributor

@4TheChains said:

2nd - Any way a demon tile is removed or destroyed, replace with 2 demon tiles. (Repeater effect fires more easily and becomes an instant counter to mThor

that would make her INSANELY overpowered, as there would be no way of removing them aside from stunning, then morbiusing (or similar)

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 374 Mover and Shaker

@KGB said:

@Codex said:

Unfortunately I don't think she pairs especially well with any of the other Phoenix 5 team. She has some OK partners there but no great pairing.

KGB

Actually pair her with Emma and her demon tiles are doing like 100k+ damage.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2023

% based power damage modifier doesn't stack. The game will choose whichever is higher. So, pairing her with Emma is helpful in the beginning, but once Demon tiles are getting out of hand, she's not helpful anymore. I think pairing Goblin with her should be good. Matching fortified Demons should still spawn them. Throw in Dark Beast and you will be accumulating aps like crazy: 6 ap per match.

• Gymp28
    Gymp28 Posts: 92 Match Maker

I think reaching 64 demons is impossible, unless I’m interpreting wrong, because they’ll only spawn on red tiles, so the most you’ll reach this way on a typical board will be ~ 9

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

@liminal_lad said:
    I like the new feeder map design. Does this make Magik the first 4 star to feed multiple 5s?

As @bigjojo04 already said, Shuri does feed both Okoye (primary) and Killmonger (secondary). But, this does make Hela the first 5* not fully fed by any 4*.

She is now the only 5* not fully fed (only secondarily fed).

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

I was kind of hoping that she'd have something like "if an opponent attempts to send Magik away, she instead moves the whole battle to Limbo".

And also that Limbo would have environment tiles. I liked environment tiles.

HULK in the jungle, in the, in the jungle

• Gymp28
    edited March 2023

@Bowgentle said:

@liminal_lad said:
    I like the new feeder map design. Does this make Magik the first 4 star to feed multiple 5s?

How can you like that?
    You don't start stuff like that in the upper right corner, then work your way to bottom left lol.
    Stuff needs to flow from left to right.

Try telling that to the Japanese!

Maybe they’ve got a heavily Asian staff??

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

That's the only explanation I could come up with, too 🤣

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,489 Chairperson of the Boards

So, uh, I can't find this explicitly written down here - are we going to get retro awards for 5* Magik at least from 4* Magik?

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Since it's a complete change I expect retro rewards from her for both Magik and Hela.
    That's what they did when they changed Shuri.

• Gymp28

Yeah, I’d agree with bowgentle. It’d be out of character if they decided not to give retro rewards for these changes.

• GrimSkald

@Bowgentle said:
    Since it's a complete change I expect retro rewards from her for both Magik and Hela.

I definitely agree it'd be out of character, but I'd feel better if it was explicitly stated.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards

@Gymp28 said:
    I think reaching 64 demons is impossible, unless I’m interpreting wrong, because they’ll only spawn on red tiles, so the most you’ll reach this way on a typical board will be ~ 9

You might be right. The initial Demons from her power cast are on Red. But the 2 new Demons who rush in don't specifically say they will be on Red so there is a chance they spawn elsewhere.

Even if it's only Red tiles, if she just gets 5-6 of them out it will be doing crazy damage.

KGB

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

@GrimSkald said:

@Bowgentle said:

I definitely agree it'd be out of character, but I'd feel better if it was explicitly stated.

The image shows retro rewards for 5* Magik, but doesn't state for Hela. Killmonger was new to Shuri, so retro rewards were there. But, Hela is already fed, so this may be like the War Machine / Iron Man changes.

• liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker

@Bowgentle said:

@liminal_lad said:

How can you like that?
    You don't start stuff like that in the upper right corner, then work your way to bottom left lol.
    Stuff needs to flow from left to right.
    I get an idea now why their UI design is like it is, now...

Somehow the reversal made me actually stop and look at it instead of just scanning it. It made me think!

• GrimSkald

@rainkingucd said:

@GrimSkald said:

@Bowgentle said:

The image shows retro rewards for 5* Magik, but doesn't state for Hela. Killmonger was new to Shuri, so retro rewards were there. But, Hela is already fed, so this may be like the War Machine / Iron Man changes.

You're absolutely right - I missed that! Awesome.

I agree, I would assume that we won't get the shards for Hela. It's a pity, too, the secondary feeder is at a lower rate -- looking at Shuri she gives (if my math is right) 1130 shards, total, for Killmonger. That's 2 covers worth, as opposed to 6.

Not really complaining, Hela is a very meh 5 star, but they probably should give her a full feeder sooner or later. Hopefully they'll give us a 4 star that makes sense at some point.