Is it just me, or this forum became a ghost town?

It has been few monhs since I was here so I was expectingba motherload of new discussions, but it seems like this forum was abandoned by peole...

Comments

• Namelesstoon
    Namelesstoon Posts: 15 Just Dropped In

I just said as much in their questionnaire. I check in daily to see what's new, but maybe we just need to start posting random thread starters to seed the discussions, see what grows... 😉

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

A lot of the chatter has moved to discord - for better or worse.

It seems like discord is preferred by many in the large alliances, I check the TP9 server occasionally. I have yet to find the reason, but I guess that the flow of chatting is higher on discord. At the expense of having any kind of overview of the topics discussed while you where away from a channel (I think they are called).

In TP9 they have made a number of subject channels, so for instance you can discuss deckbuilding for a particular event. That is a step in the right direction, but in general that is not enough for me to be able to keep track of relevant information.

So what needs to be done with the forum? I think that it will require a monumental effort (by someone directly or affiliated to Oktagon) to bring back enough users for the forum to regain any kind of usefulness.

The important message from Oktagon to the players are fortunately in game now, so many players do not need to come to the forum.

What has to attract users to this forum is to have an engaging strategy section, for example. One possible solution I can think of is that Oktagon makes a weekly subject thread, which could focus on a specific PW or an event or a card. Users can then discuss the subject without cluttering up the main PW or event thread.

There is a drawback with the proposal above and that is: how do you get an overview of all the discussion threads about a specific PW or event?
    My initial proposal is to use the “official (PW) thread’” to act as a bibliography of relevant threads concerning a specific PW or event. This changes the current use of these official threads, and would most likely mean that the general chatter has to be moved to a new thread that is pinned to the top and also mean that the official thread is managed by a admin or moderator to avoid users posting their threads in the “bibliography thread”.

I’m not sure if Oktagon has the manpower to implement this or the desire, but unless they do something to change the current downward trend I expect this forum will become less and less visited. (Don’t know the user count, but it seems dwindling).

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

the bug channel is a helpful resource

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor

but I agree withTremayne discord is what is use for most of communications.

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker

Part of the problem is this General Discussion thread. It used to be a lot more active and easy to read, but now the first ELEVEN topics are Okatgon's so the players' voices are reduced in rank. It's also long been said that between Bugs and General Discussion, all the other threads are more or less completely inactive. The forum needs a bit of love from @Oktagon_Support to revive it.

• Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,934 Chairperson of the Boards

Everyone's on Discord instead

• QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler

I agree with many of the problems brought up. Why is there more than one stickied patch update at the top instead of just the most recent? Why is there more than one stickied Q&A?

As someone mentioned in the Q&A, engagement with the development team needs to be a two way street. I've stopped asking questions in the Q&A because it is always, "We've passed it to the development team." or "that's something the development team is looking at" Yet none of the recommendations ever come to fruition.

We need more meaningful engagement from the development team to make this forum worthwhile or discord really is a better forum due to activity level (even though I personally dislike discord)

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2023

@QuiksilverHg said:
    I agree with many of the problems brought up. Why is there more than one stickied patch update at the top instead of just the most recent? Why is there more than one stickied Q&A?

As someone mentioned in the Q&A, engagement with the development team needs to be a two way street. I've stopped asking questions in the Q&A because it is always, "We've passed it to the development team." or "that's something the development team is looking at" Yet none of the recommendations ever come to fruition.

We need more meaningful engagement from the development team to make this forum worthwhile or discord really is a better forum due to activity level (even though I personally dislike discord)

Yep. There's only so many vague allusions and empty promises people can take before they stop bothering.

The game is creatively stagnant and full of bugs, and it's saddening to think of what it could be. Everyone just sort of gave up.

• ichine
    ichine Posts: 12 Just Dropped In

@madwren said:

@QuiksilverHg said:

Yep. There's only so many vague allusions and empty promises people can take before they stop bothering.

The game is creatively stagnant and full of bugs, and it's saddening to think of what it could be. Everyone just sort of gave up.

I cannot agree more with you, sadly..

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler

Imma say it... JT Woods left and forum posting left with him.

Miss you buddy