Wrenn and 7 'Symbiosis' support causes freeze [Investigating]

Options
TIMEWARP
TIMEWARP Posts: 82 Match Maker
edited 24 January 2024, 22:11 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues

Dear Team, please look into the interaction between the Symbiosis support created by Wrenn&7's ability and gem conversion due to (Urza) lands at the start of turn. This causes a freeze in some cases. I have had it happen 3 times now, but can't determine the exact cause. Hopefully you can reproducd and fix.

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 24 January 2024, 20:16
    Options

Hey, @TIMEWARP! :)

Got your report and we'll keep an eye on it. This kind of issue that happens once in a while is a bit hard to reproduce (consequently, hard to fix) so the more information on it the better.
    Does it happen with other conversion effects too?

Please send us (as much as you can):

• decklist they were using during the soft lock
    • which event were they playing
    • an estimation of how long their game was running for when the soft lock occurred
    • a screen capture of the game state.

If anyone else has seen this same problem, please let us know!

Lu

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options

I have seen this reported several times over the last year or so in discord. I believe the consensus is the symbiosis trigger is trying to convert a crystalized gem and then freezing. This only happens with the Urza lands. If you have a beginning of the turn conversion effect that triggers symbiosis (like the one from Somberwald Sage) before the urza lands mana field becomes active for the turn, it does not seem to freeze. This could be why it's difficult to reproduce, because a lot of people run land conversion with Wrenn and Seven due to the nature of it's abilities.

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@ambrosio191 Thanks a bunch!
    This hypothesis will help us a lot. :)

Lu

• Tezzeret
    Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options

Freeze on 1.2 I'm not using any seeds or urza lands as I know they are problematic... complete lock with missing gems after just making a three swap using this deck.

• Tezzeret
    Options

This ruined an easy perfect but more importantly cost my coalition a 2nd place finish in the event.

• Tezzeret
    Options

Here is the board state during the lock.
    Not playing at the top of the hour ( as that is another thing to be avoided) game had not been running more than an hour..

• ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Tezzeret said:
    This ruined an easy perfect but more importantly cost my coalition a 2nd place finish in the event.

This thread is for Wrenn and 7's symbiosis trigger causing freezes. These are screenshots of wrenn and realmbreaker. This should probably go in a separate thread to get addressed properly.