Who's the most UNDERRATED 5 star?

Options
marvel075
marvel075 Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
edited July 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
For me, Yellowjacket, mans can clutch a 1v1 ,1v2, and even a 1v3, (which I've done plenty of times in the challenge node) within PVP and PVE. Due to his cheap powers, his healing, and his invisible tactics, he can solo even the top meta heavy hitters.

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,927 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pretty good select. I ranked him 22 in my character rankings guide and said this on Darren:

I think [Yellowjacket] was massively overlooked at the time of his release, because he came out during a time when the meta revolved around hyper-boosted passive AOE.  Now that the meta seems to shift with each weekly boost, it might be worth giving Darren here a second look when his number is called to be boosted. 

• Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yellowjacket is a must. I use him for every S.H.I.E.L.D training.

Get him invisible and smoosh everyone. Looking forward to him boosted next week
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some of the ones I would have said seem to have been "discovered" by the weekly boosts, like Killmonger and Onslought, the latter of those obviously finding new usage with Shang-Chi. Those two seem to have been the ones who were most revitalized by getting an extra 100 levels every so often. 

I've always felt Iceman and Carbage are pretty underrated for different reasons. Carbage on paper is doing a bunch of weak stuff, but that extra turn is actually really strong. Iceman similarly is from the "millions of small microhits" era, and I think that doesn't on paper look as good as it can work in practice.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Killmonger (IMO) became a higher tier with the release of Colossus. you can now eat a crit tile without worrying.

Colossus/Killmonger/Chavez is one of my favourite teams.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Invisibility is great on a match where speed doesn't matter (YJ, Xavier). Also partners on the team will be pretty exposed.
    I'd say one of the most is AB. I run her on Sim with apoc and SW and always it's satisfactory.
  • WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 803 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yellowjacket will always hold a special place in my heart.  I started playing right around the time he entered LLs so he was one of the first 5* characters I rostered.  Didn't know what mmr was so of course I leveled him up waaaaaaay before I should have, but I made it work, very successfully, with YJ and Ghostpool.  I will say having to stay invisible to be competitive in pvp's taught me great board vision so there's that.  

Would love to see him in a special store sooner than later, so I can get him closer (5/2/3) to being champed finally.
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,526 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was a big huge fan of Killmonger before the boosts, but after he became an absolute murderer in PvP so I don't think he is underrated anymore.

I still hold a special place for Heimdall in PvE CL10 since he carried me for 6 months as my first champed 5. He is losing some steam now in PvE, but he is still very versatile in saving health packs and keeping teams alive. He works with fortification teams and airborne teams, and both can be very fun to play once they get rolling.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    During his last boost week was the first time I had Iceman champed and he was really quite fun to use and surpisingly effective.

Yellowjacket is definitely very good - unfortunately I just couldn't get the covers needed to finish him but all of his powers synergise with each other well.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,656 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Banner was one of my first champ 5* and the only one that could survive Galactus.
    Used him for a long time with 5Thor to create plenty of green.
    It is sad to always see him on the list of 5* that need a revamp, so hopefully he'll soon get improved.

• MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Black Bolt. During my 4/5 transition, I loved using him with incomplete 5-stars to get a preview of what their powers could do.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bolt was in the meta with Gambit before the nuclear nerf I seem to recall, but he's one that really could benefit from modern numbers. I like his powerset. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,866 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    As I am very close to champing him I also vote for an uptick in numbers on Mr. Bolt! He is fun to use.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,040 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ronan is one who I think has a really good powerset. When buffed he’s a friggin machine. He’s got good match damage that he can buff and target and his blue is really good once it gets going. His biggest problem is he’s absolutely shut down by 2 of the meta, Colossus and Kitty. 

Adam Warlock is another one who’s powerset I really think is strong. And of course buffed he’s a terror. A great/good AOE that gets stronger the more hp he has and he’s one of the few true healers in the game. Also, he has great match damage. But just like Ronan, he gets shut down by the meta. He’s unusable vs Scarlett Steel. 

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Pretty good select. I ranked him 22 in my character rankings guide and said this on Darren:

I think [Yellowjacket] was massively overlooked at the time of his release, because he came out during a time when the meta revolved around hyper-boosted passive AOE.  Now that the meta seems to shift with each weekly boost, it might be worth giving Darren here a second look when his number is called to be boosted. 

I keep on hearing the yellowjacket love.  alas I will likely never have him champed, so take my opinion fwiw, but I don't find him especially threatening in PVP, which matches my expectation from his kit on paper: he has a lot of fast, fiddly abilities where good timing lets him play up, but bad timing leaves him shuffling deck chairs (i.e., the AI can't play him for ****).  I still can't see him at a top 25 character myself, which is odd because normally I have a soft spot for true healers.
    Personally, I vote for heimdall. He is super versatile and can do just about anything for a team from support to tanking to main damage output. All he really needs to sing is a blue battery (or shuri). 
    honorable mentions would be Yelena (PVE), sersi, OMD.  Others I have seen named here (like Onslaught and Iceman) are properly rated as solid Tier B 5*s IMO
    I actually think the KM love has gone a bit overboard now (I'm saying this as a big advocate of his at release). I think he surprised a lot of people in PVP because of when his passives proc it's a very 'boom! and now you are dead." experience. and combined with colossus he is a decent counter to SC, so he no doubt provokes a lot of skips. So I guess I think he went from underrated on release to now overrated in the post-boost honeymoon.  He's a good but not elite 5*.  If they ever fix his crit locking to be useful defensively he will become a 1b meta.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,377 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:

I keep on hearing the yellowjacket love.  alas I will likely never have him champed, so take my opinion fwiw, but I don't find him especially threatening in PVP, which matches my expectation from his kit on paper: he has a lot of fast, fiddly abilities where good timing lets him play up, but bad timing leaves him shuffling deck chairs (i.e., the AI can't play him for ****).  I still can't see him at a top 25 character myself, which is odd because normally I have a soft spot for true healers.
    Personally, I vote for heimdall. He is super versatile and can do just about anything for a team from support to tanking to main damage output. All he really needs to sing is a blue battery (or shuri). 
    honorable mentions would be Yelena (PVE), sersi, OMD.  Others I have seen named here (like Onslaught and Iceman) are properly rated as solid Tier B 5*s. 
    I actually think the KM love has gone a bit overboard now (I'm saying this as a big advocate of his at release). I think he surprised a lot of people in PVP because of when his passives proc it's a very 'boom! and now you are dead." experience. and combined with colossus he is a decent counter to SC, so he no doubt provokes a lot of skips. So I guess I think he went from underrated on release to now overrated in the post-boost honeymoon.  He's a good but not elite 5*.  If they ever fix his crit locking to be useful defensively he will become a 1b meta.
    For what it's worth, Kate Pryde feeds Yellowjacket. I agree with the other posters that YJ is pretty strong, once he goes invisible he's hard to stop (although he does have to tank his own colors for the invisibility to be extended). That the AI can't play him well is not a very strong argument since most characters are butchered by the AI lol.

I also agree on Heimdall though, his AP reduction passive is super strong and his yellow power can be used to protect his team from a big AoE nuke.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yelena is my vote as an underappreciated great support character.  Her ability to destroy AP is crippling when combined with the right team.  I have had a lot of success using her with Colossus and Peggy.  Peggy boosts up the AP requirements, allowing Yelena to just destroy the accumulated AI AP and they never get to fire powers.  Her trap ability is actually pretty good for 7 AP for a purple damage power and her green, while not great can help remove pesky enemy tiles in a pinch with a poor AoE.  Obviously Colossus does the heavy lifting damage.
  • primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    I actually think Thanos because he helps me whip through PVE (at least the early nodes) faster than anyone else.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually think Thanos because he helps me whip tough PVE (at least the early nodes) faster than anyone else.
    True, but he is near the top of everyone's tier of "essential for fast pve clears" lists for this reason.  Hard to say he is underrated imo.

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wasp.

Just kidding.
  • Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Storm is the puzzle queen. She’s very versatile and helps complete many of the challenges.