**** Puck (Eugene Judd) ****

Comments

• primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    How many times did people have to try beating Amazing Hulk with Puck in the Training event?

I think I had to try six or seven times, and even then I only won using +100% match damage boosts, and had about 1200 health left at the end.  The saving grace was that the row destruction after Hulk used his Green caused some cascades that killed him off.

Especially with stuns turned off, this was not an easy 1-v-1 fight at all.
    It took me 7 times, I got lucky because Hulk hit me with his green and I still had 200 health left and then Puck's passive ability took him out.  Frustratingly annoying.
  • primetime21
    primetime21 Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Aueio said:
    I got a feeling his green ability doesn't work, it's supposed to add damage if his spins make a match but I'm not seeing it.
    Same here, I was doing something like 36 damage when I used the power; certainly not as much as it was supposed to be.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    How many times did people have to try beating Amazing Hulk with Puck in the Training event?

I tried about 7 times and forfeited 4, and finally I won without using anything.
    For to eat away hulk 18k health before the nuke bomb it's totally necessary puk's green connecting, and being totally random that is very unlikely to happen and also
    Aueio said:
    I got a feeling his green ability doesn't work, it's supposed to add damage if his spins make a match but I'm not seeing it.
    the big damage only happens when he matches on his 3 colors, any other doesn't trigger it.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Took me 5 times , used a team up because I never got close the first 4 attempts .  
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Tried ~7 times, never got close. Finally used a C4ge red teamup to beat it.
    My impression so far: his red is meh and his green is super unreliable. (from firing the green about 5 times, only ONCE did I get any matches from it. And then, it wasn't boosted, like mentioned above. The rest of the time, nothing happened. 8 AP, and not a single thing to show for it in 4/5 cases.).
    So I can really only see him be used for his passive as a revenge tank character, tbh.  And even then, Deadpool is probably still a better revenger because Puck needs to eat twice as much damage as Deadpool to respond. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Took me 4 times, but I brought match dmg multipliers to do it. I hate how they do this. "Get hyped about this great new character by playing a match where he's outclassed to the point of being useless. Huzzah!"

It's like anti-marketing, or something.

It definitely shows the limitations of the "event lineup on autopilot system' they have relied on for the last several years.  It seems pretty clear that the design team puts an effort in to designing characters that have diverse kits and can fill different rolls.  But the events are mostly static and favor certain types of characters and compound the problem with bizarre leveling choices.
  • Bad
    Perhaps on the green power I read about it too much and I was wrong on thinking the player could select the row (it wasn't very clear anyway) but one thing is for sure: green says the damage adds when puck matches it, not when he matches on his colors.
    So it's clearly a bugged power.
    It's already hard enough to get a match on those totally random spins, thanks.
    Also fighting an enemy immune to stun doesn't help him.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unless something is wrong with the way the power is operating, the green plays way worse in practice than it even looks on paper.  So he is pretty close to trash tier. The only thing he does that is a value add is the passive aoe that will make him slightly annoying to fight (especially when overleveled).
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 965 Critical Contributor

I think I had to try six or seven times, and even then I only won using +100% match damage boosts, and had about 1200 health left at the end.  The saving grace was that the row destruction after Hulk used his Green caused some cascades that killed him off.

Especially with stuns turned off, this was not an easy 1-v-1 fight at all.

Between the 30 minutes I spent on Blob's Crash of the Titans and the 10 times I had to do this Puck node I am convinced that someone on the development team might be a sadist.  
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2022
    7 or 8 tries for me to beat Totally Awful Hulk so that's saying something about how bad Puck is.

The first 4 battles I used his Green a total of 7 times and never once made a match. At that point I wasn't sure it could make a match (like Quakes board shuffle). When I finally got a match in my 5th battle I too got the 34 damage and nearly dropped my phone in shock that I didn't get anything extra and at how much of an insult it is to do 34 damage when firing a power.

However in the later tries, I did get some matches that did 4K damage so those seemed to work. I think it's bugged in that it only works if Puck makes matches in HIS colors (guessing the Dev's either forgot to add that wording or forgot in solo matches he's always making matches).

Anyway, I finally got lucky that I was able to match away Hulks blue CDs a couple of times and I got a Red heavy board to do some damage before I got a lucky green move that did 8k damage to finish him off.

I agree with Vhailrox, he's trash tier as in bottom 10-15 characters because the number of times I fired Green and how few matches I got means it's not worth firing and definitely never worth building a team around.

KGB

• TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I have a limerick about him , There was a new character named Puck…., but Terms of Use forbid me from finishing it 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It seems like a lot of players place priority in 1v1 match instead of 3v3 match. If new 4* perform "badly" in 1v1, it usually means they are bad. The other trend is if the 4* has a stun and it's useless in 1v1 match, it will add another negative point. Wouldn't it be better to focus on effectiveness of new 4* in 3v3 matches where we can pick 2 teammates, rather than all these rare 1v1 match or pick 1 matches?

If majority of MPQ matches are 1v1, Kitty and Okoye will be deemed trash/bottom tier. 

His green is really strong but it's hard to get it work. However, the potential for huge damage is there. I one-shot a 50k current health goon with his green power in the 5* essential node.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2022
    Here are some quirks about him:

1) his green works only on his top 3 colours. I'm unsure about TU tiles.
    2) A match-3 deals additional ~10k damage in 5* node. However, a match-5 deals ~35k damage instead.
    3) i tried storing 24 green aps and then fired his green. I repeated this process for about 10 times. It seems the rate of matches is 1 out of 3.

I noticed many new 4* powers are bugged in shield training but they were working fine in your normal event. So, I suspect the entire shield event is bugged for certain types of powers.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    It seems like a lot of players place priority in 1v1 match instead of 3v3 match. If new 4* perform "badly" in 1v1, it usually means they are bad. The other trend is if the 4* has a stun and it's useless in 1v1 match, it will add another negative point. Wouldn't it be better to focus on effectiveness of new 4* in 3v3 matches where we can pick 2 teammates, rather than all these rare 1v1 match or pick 1 matches?

If majority of MPQ matches are 1v1, Kitty and Okoye will be deemed trash/bottom tier. 

His green is really strong but it's hard to get it work. However, the potential for huge damage is there. I one-shot a 50k current health goon with his green power in the 5* essential node.
    I'm totally on board with this argument when we're talking about a character like Mysterio or Medusa who are support characters. Puck's abilities aren't support-oriented, though. His red and green are going to behave 1v1 very similarly as 3v3, since they aren't buffing anything or giving AP and his passive isn't highly synergetic either, it's a straightforward revenge passive. As for his stun, it's a 1-turn stun. 1-tun stuns have their uses, but they don't usually add that much utility to a character in comparison with 3-turn+ stuns.
    And 1v1 or 3v3, an ability that may potentially cause good damage, but in most cases does absolutely nothing when fired is a problem. Keep in mind, at 8 AP it's not cheap enough to be spamable without running him with a battery.
    Even WITH a battery: I've run him with Vulture in Sersi's node to be able to spam his green. Fired 15 times via Vulture, 5 times got a match at all, of those got the damage on it only 2 times. Rate of matches being roughly 1 out of 3 per activation sounds right yeah, and on top of that the damage not procc'ing on all colors also sounds right. So yeah, I can't get it to work reliably even with Vulture spoonfeeding him green. That's not a 1v1 issue, that's an ability issue. 8 AP on a 4* is too expensive to be a complete lottery with the most likely result being nothing. 
    Also, I want to point out that how much damage it might deal in the 5* node isn't exactly an indication for anything, since he's boosted to almost lvl 500 there. His red does 17k damage in the 5* node, too. You're not gonna one-shot a 50k health goon with it without that boost, even if you do get the damage to proc.
  • KGB
    edited May 2022

I don't place priority in it. But I fully believe the Dev's should be cherry picking the 1v1 matchup to make the characters powers shine or at least get an easy victory (ie g-i-m-p TA Hulks levels by like 30-50 levels or making him 1/1/1 in power) if there isn't a place for the powers to shine in a 1v1.

For example if you were releasing a new sports car, you wouldn't film a commercial with it off roading some place and getting stuck in the mud or broken down.

The goal is to build enthusiasm for the character and nothing does that less than losing 5-6 in a row in a 1v1 match.

KGB
  • Bad
    I can understand TA hulk choice. They thought hulk's cd would provide green, and hulk's black would provide more green and black on charged tiles. 
    Possibly they didn't know about puk's bug, and if you add the % oddity on making a match with a totally unreliable power, and then the requirement on being a match on half the available colors, then the usual outcome is the player stomped by hulk's big nuke, as his cd provides green matches out of control. 
    It's too bad puk's green is totally out of player's control and it's a power for to gamble only if there is no better move.
    It could have been fun and and could had realiable potential otherwise. 
  • HoundofShadow
    The reason for pointing out that his ability one-shot goons in 5* node is that not all previous 4* releases could one-shot 50k health goons. If all new 4* in shield training could do that, then it's not worth mentioning.

Also, I noticed some of the new 4* abilities are bugged in shield training and it has been going on for quite some time. I suspect that his additional match damage bonus is also bugged in shield training.

I agree his abilities are suitable for 1v1, but the lack of stun, bugged shield training made him look worse. On top of that, TAHulk being a strong opponent made him look even worse.

I'm not sure if the dev's intent is to give easy victory, since we have to "complete a set of grueling trials to test their strength." I think the more you use any character, the more familiar you are with using him. I think a log of us are too used to winning 99% of the time and losing 6-7 times in a row demoralise some. So, bringing this expectation into this into every shield training could be counterproductive.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    It was quite impressive how many tries it took me to do the Puck vs TA Hulk upper node. i really thought his green would do more (any at all) damage when he was tanking everything, but it very rarely made any matches at all. i finally just used a team up. This character's red having the stun component locked out was a super nerf here.
  • KGB
    Bad said:
    I can understand TA hulk choice. They thought hulk's cd would provide green, and hulk's black would provide more green and black on charged tiles. 
    Possibly they didn't know about puk's bug, and if you add the % oddity on making a match with a totally unreliable power, and then the requirement on being a match on half the available colors, then the usual outcome is the player stomped by hulk's big nuke, as his cd provides green matches out of control. 

I'm OK with the choice of TA Hulk and I think they chose him for the reasons you suggest. But why did they make Hulk 5/5/3 instead of 3/5/5?

If they make him 3/5/5 then players can survive his Green nuke AND get a chance to see Pucks passive in action since it would damage him for >15%. As it is, Hulks green is like the sword of Damocles hanging over the players head.

KGB

P.S. As an aside, they should never turn off Stuns in Shield Training 1v1 node. It's silly to do so since players want to see how stuns work in 1v1 (for our opponents, always set their stun to rank 3 so it stuns the least amount of time).