**** Black Knight (Dane Whitman) ****

Options

Comments

• Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I killed him while he was stunned, with his countdown out, without any strikes on the board.
    Oh alright. So that means his countdown is disabled by stuns. Good to know... I guess?
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's normal for the abilities to be negated when those character are stunned. It happens for most characters. 
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 362 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    and yet jessica jones damning evidence goes through.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited April 2022
    Options
    As mentioned, most abilities won't go through. Kitty's red cd won't trigger if she's stunned. Wanda's repeater won't store charges if she's stunned.

Trap tiles do trigger for most characters even when they are stunned. So, it's not limited to JJ's. 

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The fact that stunning him disables his immortality power is the literal final nail in his coffin, especially in 4* land with all those Polaris.

I also want to address the idea that Black Knight isn't a damage dealer because that just seems bizarre to me. His whole thing is about the Ebony Blade - a cursed sword that drives the owner into bloodthirsty rage. He should be dealing major damage because he has a cursed magic sword that can cut through most things!
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I think the choice of SC wasn't the best one for BK to shine up. BRB or BB would had been better. 
    Still, effectively if riri sends him BK will create 15 protects in 3 turns plus the charged tiles, plus passive damage. 
    And his black cd finishing activates his destroying charged tiles passive and healing. That helps the sinergy with negasonic and the cascade benefiting a third partner. 
    While he is flying airborne his cd doesn't runs out. So he can create his cd, fire yellow to fortify it again, create the protects, and when landing destroying the charged tiles and healing, if it's done in the right time. 
    It's a really interesting move.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually think he has a cool move set and he has already been a nuisance on enemy teams with his yellow power spam but it has only been a mild nuisance, he is a neutered Vulture who can be last man standing but never get close to finishing you off before you finally kill him because he has such limited offensive firepower.
  • Daniel2121
    Daniel2121 Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It's normal for the abilities to be negated when those character are stunned. It happens for most characters. 
    But some countdowns are still at least partially active when the character is stunned (e.g. Medusa, 5* Matt Murdock)
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Yes, that's right. Inconsistencies in how abilities work when characters are stunned happen (often). I guess if you suspect that his cd isn't working as expected, you could file a bug report to verify whether him being stunned and then downed while his cd is on the board is bugged or not. 
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    The fact that stunning him disables his immortality power is the literal final nail in his coffin, especially in 4* land with all those Polaris.

I also want to address the idea that Black Knight isn't a damage dealer because that just seems bizarre to me. His whole thing is about the Ebony Blade - a cursed sword that drives the owner into bloodthirsty rage. He should be dealing major damage because he has a cursed magic sword that can cut through most things!
    I had the same thought. I've always liked him in the comics and wish he'd get his own book. He does some serious damage with the ebony blade. He should be doing way more damage than this. He's essentially a bad support character with these powers. Why take him over Vulture?
  • HoundofShadow
    edited April 2022
    Options
    I finally found the perfect synergy that focuses on Black Knight's protect tile generation.

Let me introduce his teammates who happen to be in trash tier as well: Bishop and Mysterio. There's so much synergies among these trash that it's mind boggling.  :o

Here's a summary of their roles
    Black Knight: creates 5 protect tiles each turn while airborne.

Bishop: converts 2 friendly protect tiles and 5 basic tiles to blue basic tiles when there are 6 or more friendly protect tiles on the board. Provides targeted stun if necessary. Ensure Mysterio can create trap tiles without lack of blue basic tiles.

Mysterio: converts 5 blue aps to 5 yellow aps when you have 8 blue aps or more. Deals x damage to highest level enemy and then stun that character for 2 turns after ap conversion. Converts yellow-matches to purple aps with his yellow and lays trap tiles on blue basic tiles. Ensures that Black Knight can go airborne forever, which will allow him to create 5 protect tiles forever.

Try not to make blue matches and try to let Black Knight go airborne as soon as possible. That's why using +2 yellow/red ap speeds up the process a lot.

Here's the 4 minute video:

Https://streamable.com/a7fa5y

Note: if you belong to the group of players who ask, "why should I use this team when I can finish a match with SC in 1 minute or other teams in 2 minutes?", then this is not for you.

This is for players who like to explore synergies among different characters and hopefully, this gives you inspiration for other teams.

• TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The biggest shock for me in that video was somebody using Shang-Chi, Emma Frost and Yondu in PVP.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited April 2022
    Options
    It was really challenging to find a non-Polaris team in shield sim. I must have deliberately lost more than 10 times to lower my scores to find more team variations. But SC/Yondu/Emma is not the main focus.  :s
  • Bad
    Options

This is for players who like to explore synergies among different characters and hopefully, this gives you inspiration for other teams.

Bishop will keep blue AP at 30 almost always. It's a interesting team. 
    I'm waiting for recording a video focusing on special and charged tiles but I need 2 more black covers for BK so I'm really looking forward to it.
    It's weird to think that I could be the only player looking forward to it.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    That's a little challenging.

I've tried Beast + Karolina, which is fine. Karolina converts protect tiles to strike tiles, which boost the destroyed charged tiles damage. Beast double ap gained when you make a match with at least 1 friendly special tiles, and he creates charged tiles and attack tiles that can be boosted by strike tiles. But it's a little difficult to keep Black Knight airborne consistently. Karolina returns 5 blue aps when her cd is removed, so it's easier to keep her airborne consistently.

For charged tiles destruction, Negasonic is probably the best partner. You destroy 4 charged tiles with Black Knight, and she'll destroy a total of 8 random tiles. This synergises with her red power which deal additional per charged tile destroyed, up to 6. On top of that, she has passive true heal. But there's one missing link to create a loop. Currentely, it looks like this

Black Knight destroys 4 charged tiles --> Negasonic destroys 8 random tiles --> the end. A third would be needed to loop back to charged tiles, destroyed protect tiles or yellow aps. Sersi might be able to fill in the gap with her board manipulation, but protect tiles aren't maximised. I thought of 5* Carol. Unfortunately, her 2 yellow ap gain is restricted to destroyed friendly strike tiles. If it includes friendly protect tiles, I believe we can create a loop that keeps Black Knight airborne consistently. 
  • Bad
    Options
    Finally I recorded a video but it wasn't exactly what I wanted.
    I wanted to clear the required 4* BK scl10 node with negasonic and lockjaw.
    But for to attempt that I need the fifth black cover and I won't get it in a long time, so I recorded this one.
    https://youtu.be/_fedUK0H308
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I noticed a lot of accidental matches from those tiles destroyed. So, I went to try the same team in shield training and used Sersi to remove purple so that she can put strike tiles on the board. She beefed up the damage of Negasonic by a lot. But there are still one missing link: cd spammer. If one can spam enough cd, we are talking about 10k x 5 worth of damage from Black Knight + Negasonic, not including cascades. It's unfortunate that all their green powers are pretty important and I got to let Sersi use the green. An alternative is to let the other two get equipped with support that fortifies special tiles and let Negasonic or Black Knight use green aps.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So does this guy feed anyone?
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Sadly, no. The love that Black Knight has for Sersi wasn't enough to feed her.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 362 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wonder how this guy works vs. galactus or whales