General Forums Contest Chatter (1/25/22)

Options
LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited January 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
Please keep all chatter about the contest to this thread.  No submissions from the January Forums Contest will be accepted via this thread.

Thank you!

Find January Forums Contest HERE to submit your answer.
Tagged:

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You need to submit both years and the guess is for the first week of 2021 and 2022. So, there are 11 answers including tie-breakers.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In the first week of 2021, the Top-5 favorite (most used) characters were:

1. Doctor Strange

2. Polaris

3. Rocket and Groot

4. Kitty Pryde

5. Thanos

In the first week of 2022, the Top-5 favorite (most used) characters were:

1. Polaris

2. Rocket and Groot

3. Doctor Strange

4. Shang Chi

5. Kitty Pryde

This is interesting.  I hope they are differentiating between the tier variants for DS, Rocket Groot and Kitty.  I'm guessing its the 3* Dr, Strange, 4* rocket groot, and 5* Kitty Pryde.  What is amazing is how fast Shang Chi made the list.  Not that surprising based on his play, but it really reflects that people actually spent alot of CP and LT to go after him.  He's really only a few months old, so I didn't think that many people would have whaled for him.  To be fair this list doesn't differentiate if its a 3 cover shang or 550 max champ shang.

Polaris must be a real menance now!  jajajaja.  When will the nerf threads commence?

Good luck to all contest participants!
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,970 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phumade said:

This is interesting.  I hope they are differentiating between the tier variants for DS, Rocket Groot and Kitty.  I'm guessing its the 3* Dr, Strange, 4* rocket groot, and 5* Kitty Pryde. 
    I don't think they are. I base that on the fact that Lake said:
    "Guess the total number of times the 11th most popular character - Magneto, was used during the first week of 2021. Note: this is the total for all Magneto variants combined!"
    which leads me to believe the totals are for all character variants. In other words the 11th place Magneto is the total of his 2* + 3* plays and the Rocket and Groot are the total of the 3* and 4* Rocket and Groots etc.
    KGB

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    KGB said:
    Phumade said:

This is interesting.  I hope they are differentiating between the tier variants for DS, Rocket Groot and Kitty.  I'm guessing its the 3* Dr, Strange, 4* rocket groot, and 5* Kitty Pryde. 
    "Guess the total number of times the 11th most popular character - Magneto, was used during the first week of 2021. Note: this is the total for all Magneto variants combined!"
    which leads me to believe the totals are for all character variants. In other words the 11th place Magneto is the total of his 2* + 3* plays and the Rocket and Groot are the total of the 3* and 4* Rocket and Groots etc.
    KGB

If they are aggregrating all tiers, I'm a bit shocked that wolverine, IM, CA, Spiderman arent in the top 5.  The sheer number of variants across the 1-5 tiers should guarantee that those chars are in the top 5 vs a 4* only Polaris.  Maybe they count PVE usage as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• HoundofShadow
    Options
    Mehneto feels left out because he has been Draxed.  :D

This is probably the most generous prizes that they've given out so far: 1 cover of Kitty and 1 cover of Shang Chi and 3 other meta 4*. 
  • KGB
    Options
    Phumade said:
    KGB said:
    Phumade said:

KGB

If they are aggregrating all tiers, I'm a bit shocked that wolverine, IM, CA, Spiderman arent in the top 5.  The sheer number of variants across the 1-5 tiers should guarantee that those chars are in the top 5 vs a 4* only Polaris.  Maybe they count PVE usage as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are most definitely counting PvE. Why would you get the impression it was PvP only? The contest rules say most used characters, not most used PvP characters.
    Not sure how much lower tier characters get used. Obviously we use some for Deadpool daily but do you really think 2 and 3* characters get that much use by newer players (vet rosters definitely don't use those characters).
    One thing we aren't thinking about. The timeline is only 1 week. So the featured PvP character for the 2 PvP Events will get extra amount of use (same with the required nodes in PvE events). It's possible Magneto was simply the 3* PvP character or the PvE 3* node character which is how he got to 11th place because otherwise he's not a meta character in 2* or 3* land. So some other character we don't realize could be in the 6-10 range simply because of being featured. Is there any place that maintains a list of featured characters for that week?
    KGB
  • Ptahhotep
    Ptahhotep Posts: 416 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The featured and boosted characters will be listed in the what’s new posts for the start of each year.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HaT was run on 12/31/20 featuring Cable, Riri, and Capt America. Then Unstable Iso on 1/4 with Heimdall, Throg, and Capt Marvel. 

Infinite Pursuit was run on 12/30/21 with Sersi, Ikaris, and Quicksilver. Then Unstable Iso on 1/3 with Ultron, DocOck4, and Storm. 
  • KGB
    Options
    Thanks. Where did you get the info for which 5/4/3* characters were featured during that week?
    I went to the announcement Forum and checked the announcements of new characters (Throg, Doc Ock) on Jan 1st for 2021 and 2022 and they list the character being released, the PvE event, the PvP event etc but there is never any details about other boosted characters or required characters. I also looked at other announcements and they didn't have anything either.
    Is it in a post that's not put in announcements (I thought all posts were in there + the General Forum)?
    KGB

• Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 412 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I’ve been keeping a personal excel of random info for a bit now. Never good enough to share, but helpful for me. Lol
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I enjoy these contests.
    I'm glad to have at least some idea of the data for usage.
    I'm sure that nobody is shocked to see Polaris, RnG and Kitty in the top 5 both years.
    Polaris is really an amazing character. She goes great with so many of the top characters.
    I wouldn't have guessed for Dr. Strange to be in the top 5 let alone in the top spot. My guess is that there was a PVE with mindless ones that week....
    Thanos gets put to good use across every tier. He is one of the characters that people first lean on in PVE for the early game as a 3-star. His 4-star is a winfinite with BRB and Polaris that works and is regularly used all the way into SCL10. And his 5-star when high enough is still one of the fastest clearing characters in the game.
    For Shang-Chi to be that high and that new is impressive. Shows how much people are using the character even at lower levels.
    The prizes here are great. I just done my entry and so far there have been 40 entries. So with 3 prizes that means anybody that done an entry has a 7.5% chance of winning something. Not bad.
    Also something interesting that caught my eye was that 4 entries had Scarlett Witch/Colossus on their list for 2021. They didn't come out until March/April.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Dr Strange has always been a very popular character and Benedict Cumberbatch is also a popular actor. The fact that Strange was nominated to be in the Fan Favourite Stores multiple times seems to prove this, despite many players lamenting seeing him in this store. If Dr Strange can make it to the top 5 for both year of week 1, it somehow implies that the number of 3* players using Dr Strange is significant enough to push some of the more popular forum choices like Okoye, iHulk, Apocalypse down the ranking. Or it could be just like what you said, it was goons week.

Other uncommon guesses that I've seen are:

Okoye, Medusa, Throg, Thor, Dr Ock, Storm, Iron-Man, Mantis, Prof X, Onslaught, Sabretooth, Captain Marvel, Ultron, Valkyrie, Knull.

It will be interesting to see whether Apocalypse, Okoye, iHulk, Wanda, Colossus make it to the list. Basically, the rest of the meta. Magneto making it to T11 seems to suggest the answers will be related to those characters in boost weeks. Anyway, the answer will be surprising.
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wish they would have done for the whole year instead of just a week and maybe done 2020/2021. That way we would know the truly most used characters instead of who was just required or boosted that week.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    I think we'll be able to tell once the answers are revealed.
  • HoundofShadow
    Options
    Official Answers:

6. Thor
    7. Okoye
    8. Professor X
    9. Storm
    10. Deadpool

6. Beta Ray Bill
    7. Thanos
    8. Thor
    9. Wolverine
    10. Storm

The Tie-Breaker Answer = 313309

Storm and Thor appeared in both years.

SW, Colossus, iHulk, Apocalypse aren't in it, but SC was in T5 2022.

Interesting, and I got zero right.  :D

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Came 2nd, yey!.  Thanks for the contest!
  • KillaBeeSwarm
    KillaBeeSwarm Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I liked this contest, even though I was way off. Only one right (Okoye) in 2021, only two right (BRB, Thanos) in 2022. Interested to hear how others decided on their rankings.

I thought if Okoye is in the top ten, she's dragging along Thor or Hulk. I went with Hulk, should have gone with Thor.

Several times they've mentioned America Chavez is consistently one of the top ten most played characters of the year. Obviously she was not top ten those weeks.

For the tie-breaker, I think in another contest they mentioned how often someone was used for the entire year, so I just took that number and divided by 52 to get in the ballpark.

Congrats to the winners!
  • Notwen
    Notwen Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Options
    I did some deep diving into the forum and found that Jubilee was the required character for a pvp event the first week of 2021, and that Iceman and Doc Ock were required in pvp events the first week of 2022. I hoped that would push them into the top ten. It didn't, or I messed up my research.
  • ph34rm3
    ph34rm3 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yippee I placed very cool