Who's the best 3rd with Okoye + iHulk in pick-3 PvE?

helix72
helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
edited January 2022 in MPQ General Discussion
The saved teams thread got me re-thinking about the best 3rd when running Okoye + iHulk and I thought I'd ask the community: who do you think is the best 3rd partner and why? I've listed the ones I can recall seeing most commonly. In evaluating partners, please include considerations for:
  • Speed: how fast the team can clear a node
  • Reliability: how often can a node go wrong and cause you to fail or at least take much longer than expected
  • Resource cost: does it require lots of healthpacks and/or boosts to pull off
  • Dependency: does it only work if you have certain supports; does it only work if certain characters are above/below others for tanking purposes
And feel free to mention if there are other criteria you like to think about.

Polling options:

1) 5* Adam Warlock
  • Benefits: adds the possibility of a 2nd passive AoE every turn; with the right purple support and boosts can fire purple power turn 1
  • Downsides: requires extra boosting to do it on turn start; Adam tanks Yellow and Black over Okoye potentially causing lost/reduced TU AP; requires matching Black (which Adam tanks) to keep it going; requires significantly more healthpacks; purple power requires Adam tanking (losing TU AP) for the heal or enemy matching (e.g. need tile movers) for the damage
2) 4* Polaris
  • Benefits: adds a 2nd passive attack at the start of every turn, with the potential for more if you match special tiles; gives you the ability to stun; easier to keep Okoye tanking every color
  • Downsides: relatively squishy; matching specials can backfire and shut down iHulk's passive

3) 3* Thanos
  • Benefits: gives a 2nd passive; easier to keep Okoye tanking every color
  • Downsides: only triggers once the first character is downed

4) 4* Valkyrie
  • Benefits: can generate tons of Yellow AP for Okoye to generate more TU AP; has a multi-hit Red that can be devastating with a big enough Okoye boost; easier to keep Okoye tanking every color; adds strike tiles if Okoye does take a big hit
  • Downsides: potentially requires switching the targeted enemy character on turns where Hulk's passive doesn't fire; requires Okoye to have the RTF support otherwise Black is her strongest color; Valk's Red is costly (11 AP) and most fights are likely to be over before you have enough to use it; firing Okoye's yellow can overwrite basic green tiles and make it less likely Hulk's passive will fire

5) Other: is there a character I haven't mentioned you think deserves consideration?

6) It depends on...: is one character better against nodes with lesser health toons (e.g. H1) and another better against nodes with higher health toons (e.g. CN)? Is one better for non-tile movers vs tile movers or mixed enemy teams? Is one better when the enemies have mixed health pools (e.g. one very low health enemy like a Mutation)?

7) You shouldn't even bother...: is there another pick-3 team that beats Hoko plus a 3rd (even situationally) on the dimensions mentioned above?

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading your thoughts!

EDIT: Added reference to Adam's purple power

Who's the best 3rd with Okoye + iHulk in pick-3 PvE? 17 votes

5* Adam Warlock
23%
KolenceentrailbucketTimemachinegoStanleyBurrell 4 votes
4* Polaris
0%
3* Thanos
35%
vudu3acescrackedGlockomaJackDeath666bowla33talleman 6 votes
4* Valkyrie
0%
Other 3rd character (please explain)
29%
PongiesambrookjmThaRoadWarriorabennessTheEyeDoctorsWife 5 votes
It depends on... (please explain)
11%
ammenellSekilicious 2 votes
You shouldn't even bother with Hoko because this other team is faster (please explain)
0%

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use Ghostpool for the token, and because he is like Spider-Man 2099 with 5* health and a stun.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    5* PX - because of his passive and his purple to generate yellow or green
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    For what it’s worth, I have largely switched to Negasonic/Onslaught/Shang-Chi for my hard node clears. I don’t know if it’s empirically faster, but I enjoy it more. I only play to 4x clears of all the SCL10 nodes though. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2022
    I don’t have a preference. I just want to see the results. Also, SM2099 and Sabertooth are common as a 4* partner for Okoye. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    5* Adam Warlock
    You didn't mention what you're trying to do...from the choices and general tone of your post I'm going to guess that you're trying to win a CL10 bracket, or at least place as high as possible.

If you're locked into Okoye then Adam Warlock is the fastest, but you do have to boost and use packs on him.  His active powers aren't a downside at all -- with very few exceptions, if you're casting stuff in competitive PvE you've already lost.

I think Apocalypse/Thor/Warlock is marginally faster than any Okoye team these days, but if you have Okoye maxed out and Apocalypse is not then she'd be faster for you.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,155 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vulture is quite nice, and I run him with Hulk a number of times.  Start with +4 black AP to get him airborne ASAP, and prioritize black matches.  If he's airborne, he doesn't take damage when Hulk dies, so Hulk can keep regenerating for as long as Vulture is airborne.  Eventually, his blue will start knocking out enemy specials for considerable damage.  I've had Hulk die five times in a single turn on a Challenge node, and Vulture's still flying around, not taking damage.

If your Vulture is high enough, he can survive two Hulk reincarnations when he's not airborne.
  • StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    5* Adam Warlock
    For pure speed it’s Warlock and it’s not even close. Fully boosted double AoE mows down pretty much everything. I’ve been playing around with other things and while I don’t expect faster, I do expect more consistency.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you getting T10 consistently or are you aiming for T5?
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* Thanos
    You didn't mention what you're trying to do...from the choices and general tone of your post I'm going to guess that you're trying to win a CL10 bracket, or at least place as high as possible.

If you're locked into Okoye then Adam Warlock is the fastest, but you do have to boost and use packs on him.  His active powers aren't a downside at all -- with very few exceptions, if you're casting stuff in competitive PvE you've already lost.

I think Apocalypse/Thor/Warlock is marginally faster than any Okoye team these days, but if you have Okoye maxed out and Apocalypse is not then she'd be faster for you.

Been trying to figure out how to use my level 4 Ebony Maw support with Warlock. I'll check that team out. Apoc(Ebony Maw)/Thor(yaro root)/Warlock(Sanctum Santorum). Boost r/y & b/g.

Apoc at 481 is 34 levels lower than Okoye though. But okoye/ihulk/Warlock needs a few black & tu matches to get going.
  • acescracked
    3* Thanos
    For pure speed it’s Warlock and it’s not even close. Fully boosted double AoE mows down pretty much everything. I’ve been playing around with other things and while I don’t expect faster, I do expect more consistency.

3* Thanos a little faster on the first two clears when enemy health isn't too high.  Thanos triggers fairly early if you target the lowest health enemy first. You do have to pay attention to the enemy health before starting a match and switch to Warlock. 
  • StanleyBurrell
    5* Adam Warlock

3* Thanos a little faster on the first two clears when enemy health isn't too high.  Thanos triggers fairly early if you target the lowest health enemy first. You do have to pay attention to the enemy health before starting a match and switch to Warlock. 
    If you fully boost more often than not it’s a one turn win with Warlock (This is assuming 550 Okoye) I would say I’m an extremely competitive pve player and I’ve performed better with Adam over Thanos. I could see it on certain low health toon nodes but muscle memory has me boosting g/b anyway 😂 
  • HoundofShadow
    What's your placement usually? And first bracket or subsequent bracket?
  • StanleyBurrell
    edited January 2022
    5* Adam Warlock
    If you’re asking me I am CL10 pre-join usually T2.
  • HoundofShadow
    I get T10 with SC, pre-join, usually. Is your Adam Warlock also 550? What's the difference between T1 and you?
  • acescracked
    3* Thanos

If you fully boost more often than not it’s a one turn win with Warlock (This is assuming 550 Okoye) I would say I’m an extremely competitive pve player and I’ve performed better with Adam over Thanos. I could see it on certain low health toon nodes but muscle memory has me boosting g/b anyway 😂 

I mostly use Warlock as well boosting tu & g/b. There are those frustrating matches where you can't get a black match which slows ya down a little. Unless you boost all AP with g/b to combat that. 😀
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    I use SWitch , choosing green once AP is high enough (8+). Double passive boosted attacks every turn , negates invisibility. Can do 30k damage every turn usually 
  • StanleyBurrell
    edited January 2022
    5* Adam Warlock
    I get T10 with SC, pre-join, usually. Is your Adam Warlock also 550? What's the difference between T1 and you?
    No, Adam stays at the tanking threshold. 

It varies, I finish T1 as well occasionally. I’m personally tired of Hulk RNG so I’m playing around with other teams. I have no doubts that Hulkoye, Adam fully boosted is the fastest trio in the game however.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wait you get top 10 running Shang-Chi on all nodes? If so that’s impressive.  Who are you running him with and what build?

Also what slice? Are some slices more competitive than others if pre-joining?

I always try and catch a flip. And even then I have to fight for T5-T10.

For me who has mostly built all my 5s evenly and who doesn’t have a big Okoye (478), I like Valk as my third. I do have a big RTF (Rank 5), so that makes a difference. I can flood the board with teamup pretty fast and get up to 30, which is necessary for a lower level Okoye to do big damage. Both Valk and Hulk have yellow gathering supports so that helps to get the train moving early. If I had a bigger Okoye I’m sure Adam would be the move, but in my specific situation it’s Valkyrie. One thing I like is that I don’t have to apply boosts which does save some time not having to rebuy/apply them.
  • HoundofShadow
    I don't play SCL 10 for every pves. When I do, I use either good boosted characters, if not I will default to Shang Chi. 

Partners for Shang Chi (3/5/5) are limited when it comes to speed. Karnak, Rogue and America Chavez are those whom I use frequently with him. I also use boosts as well.

If I'm using unboosted SC to place T10 overall at the end of pves, my sub-event placments can be inconsistent (not T10) because I'm still unfamiliar with how much time I need to spend for grinding. On top of that, I remember some CNs need 3 grinds instead of 2. But I don't know or can't remember which pves it occurs in. So, I overcompensate by grinding earlier, so sometimes my sub-placement is T50, but to be more accurate, it's like T1X. 

As of which slice is easier, I'm unable to answer that because I don't always play scl 10. 

If I play SCL 10 every day for the next 6 months or so, my sub-event placement will be more consistent.

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Started using shang chi over professor x and liking it so far. So much that I’m considering replacing okoye now. With shang chi you simply chase red/purple and therefore don’t have time to collect team up. He’s also in front and therefore draining any team up ap. Ihulk aoe will be much weaker but the board shake up each turn helps more red/purple tiles to drop.