New Character - ***** Abigail Brand (Commander of S.W.O.R.D.) *****

Comments

• entrailbucketentrailbucket Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah I mean I get that, he just seems like one unit of damage dealer for the most part is all. He's not wildly different than Robbie Reyes in that regard, down to the conditional black damage.
    Sort of, but also definitely not.

Robbie doesn't have a passive.  Dr Doom does, but his passive doesn't do something every turn.  Colossus's passive generates value for you literally every single turn, because the only constant in this game is that both sides are required to make a match every turn.

It's the same with SW -- she punishes you for just playing the game, because there is no way to avoid doing damage to the enemy every single turn.

Passives, especially passives that are guaranteed to do something every single turn, are just wildly overpowered in this game.  A high level SW smacks you for 5000+ damage, every turn, completely for free, while preventing damage to her own team at a rate that beats the best active protect tile powers.  Colossus's passive essentially does the same thing for you in a slightly less obvious way.
    SW can also be targeted by Colossus's blue. Maybe not efficiently since it is 9 blue, but that is almost as good as a stun. 
    It's not that helpful unless you've got enough AP stored up to kill her immediately, because she just makes another one for free the next turn.
  • ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 7,062 Chairperson of the Boards
    For sure; i'm not trying to say that Robbie or Doom are better than Colossus, just that I didn't find him to be all that, and I really don't run him too often myself - though that could just me being a contrarian when it comes to popular teams. I'm more of a "I see you are using rock, where did I leave my sheet of paper?" than I am a "I see you using rock, let me use this slightly harder rock against it..." type of player.
  • SekiliciousSekilicious Posts: 1,098 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 13 January 2022, 21:14
    Of course, one should always consider when to use their powers optimally. For example, when using Kitty, BRB, and Polaris against Wanda I never fire BRB's green before stunning Wanda. Similarly, if trying to go winfinite with Shang-Chi I like to make sure I can get rid of her repeater because life will suck when I can't quite kill her because she and Colossus have been reducing 96% of the damage Shang-Chi deals. 
    Ultimately, again, there's only one way to win a match: downing the enemy team before they down you.  When we rate characters we're rating them based on how quickly/reliably they can do that, and a character who gets you closer to the win for free is just better than one who has to gather AP and cast powers to get there.

That's the reason people are down on Abigail, to bring things back around.  She does a whole bunch of things that might indirectly sorta kinda get you closer to a win, but why would you want to go out of your way to do those things when you can just bring somebody else who will kill the enemies?
  • skittledaddyskittledaddy Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    edited 13 January 2022, 22:11
    Thanos said:
    Sorry folks, no videos this time. Her yellow was her one chance at greatness and it's total ****. I don't understand why Demiurge insists on releasing characters that are D.O.A.
    Disappointing, but not surprising, at all.
    Who did you try her with @Thanos ?

• AnonAnon Posts: 1,439 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was brainstorming potential partners for her and got a headache. At least her art is cool.
  • VhailorxVhailorx Posts: 5,265 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    Sorry folks, no videos this time. Her yellow was her one chance at greatness and it's total ****. I don't understand why Demiurge insists on releasing characters that are D.O.A.
    Disappointing, but not surprising, at all.
    Who did you try her with @Thanos ?

At first was thinking apoc since he produces a decent number of repeaters that you want to proc often, and is also a very strong character. But Abigail doesn't produce damage ticks (even small ticks would be great with a boost), which seems like it caps the usefulness.
    As for the perceived usefulness of Colossus and sighclops on release, I always felt like Colossus was underrated because free match damage is really good. But sighclops didn't really do much of anything useful until the value of spinning the board + a mediocre red battery went up wildly with SC.
  • BadBad Posts: 1,474 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus is always useful as he shelters from heavy match damage, CNs and dangerous Shangs. Take colossus and magneto and kaecilius LIT pve won't make a single scratch.
    He is a health pack saver like Shang, only that he doesn't need to do a thing, just to be standing there.

Cyclops has been revalued, however for me he didn't move from my rank: a 5* for to design a funny team. Imo actually shang doesn't need him: he doesn't need a guy rising his match damage, nor a guy with a minor shuffle, nor a guy stunning foes.
    I think half health thor is better partner, as a battery and because destroys 2 colors Shang doesn't need, increasing cascades.
  • HoundofShadowHoundofShadow Posts: 5,530 Chairperson of the Boards
    Colossus, at release, was boring to me because he's too straightforward, unlike other characters with more interesting abilities, like Storm or Mr Sinister. There wasn't much to think about his abilities. Even Adam Warlock was more interesting. I remember him getting a lot of flakes too. But now, he's part of the scl 10 speed teams.

As it stands, Abigail fits right into the kind of "bite size damage every turn" strategy. I can't wait to test her out against meta teams this February.
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited 14 January 2022, 06:19
    Colossus, at release, was boring to me because he's too straightforward, unlike other characters with more interesting abilities, like Storm or Mr Sinister. There wasn't much to think about his abilities. Even Adam Warlock was more interesting. I remember him getting a lot of flakes too. But now, he's part of the scl 10 speed teams.

As it stands, Abigail fits right into the kind of "bite size damage every turn" strategy. I can't wait to test her out against meta teams this February.
    What damage? You can say that of Drax's Purple, which deals damage every time a friendly countdown expires, but not Abigail. If Abigail had that, along with Coulson's passive of generating AP and 4* Carol's active of instantly proccing a countdown (and repeater), she would be much more useful and worrisome to face. Also, no one really cares about AP destruction. The only great AP destruction in the game is Yelena's Red.

Having said that, I too am looking forward to testing her out alongside characters like Wanda, Odin, Ronan, Iceman, Poccy. She could be somewhat irritating on defence with the constant healing (although Rescue's healing hasn't exactly made her a nuisance, but Abby's healing will be more likely to proc).
    Her bite size damage comes from her attack tiles, and I'm teaming her up with Wanda and Odin as well. So, Odin will boost damage with his strike tiles. Then, two of them provide ap control against Polaris, BRB, Apocalypse or Colossus.  

It would be great to pair her with someone who can trigger her healing ability on turn 1, like Wanda. 
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    edited 14 January 2022, 07:18
    It's not the most reliable though. Using Knull as a comparison: Knull's strike tile generation is passive, and even that is unreliable due to being tied to a countdown. It can get out of hand, especially with Polaris and Kitty, or Ultron and Dark Beast. Still, it's not something I would build around or rely upon.

I do want to try Abigail/Odin/Wanda. That trio seems like it could be very annoying on defence, perhaps on par with Wanda/Colossus/Apocalypse or Odin.
    As long as it can get one attack tiles out, it'll hit harder over time, due to Odin's strike tiles and he fortifies tiles randomly when the condition is right. In a team of Odin/Wanda, only Wanda uses blue. Since Abigail's tiles are fortified, she actually helps Odin to hit team heal faster.

Anyway, we can give it a run in her pvp since Odin can turn allies' builds to 5/5/5.
  • BadBad Posts: 1,474 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you want fortifying, remember sersei. She fortifies all special tiles in a choosen color, and being abigail there can be a lot. Also if by any chance a match 5 is made she will add extra nuisance to the team. Sersei is a character who is tougher than one can think.
    Being the third odin or wanda possibly it would be an annoying team.
    Not sure if I would like to try it. Not sure if I will chase abigail or not.
  • TheRiddlerTheRiddler Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Thanos said:

Thanks. I always look forward to your comments/videos they end up being on the money more often than not.
    I think she's basically handcuffed to Hawkeye.  She can use some of the approximately 1 million blue Hawkeye generates on her attack tile power, and her yellow will always hit something useful if it's one of his CDs.  I'd probably stick to 4* Carol as the 3rd (at 5/5/3, ignoring her active yellow) to create another decent CD and buff strikes/attacks.

I'm not sure Abigail really works with Odin because you don't necessarily want his CDs going off early.  Same with Iceman.

Pairing her with SW seems unfair somehow.  Like, if you're going to bring Scarlet Witch, she's doing all the work anyway.  Wasp technically "combos" with SW because she can stand around while Wanda prevents all incoming damage and kills the whole enemy team.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 1,439 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wouldn't pairing her with SW be useless? If you do choose to use Wanda's blue, you want it up as long as possible. And after her repeater procs once it does no damage until the next turn right? 
  • VhailorxVhailorx Posts: 5,265 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems like this character really needed a "small damage proc on CD or repeater hitting 0" passive.
    Anon said:
    Wouldn't pairing her with SW be useless? If you do choose to use Wanda's blue, you want it up as long as possible. And after her repeater procs once it does no damage until the next turn right? 
    I think the idea was that Abigail would destroy AP and burst heal every time the repeater ticked down, but honestly I'm not sure why you'd bother...that's such a small bonus compared to whatever damage the repeater is doing.
    The ability is there, but you don't have to fire her yellow power. It's like you don't have to use Thor's red over Apocalypse red when you pair them together. The concept is to generate consistent healing with the right partner. It's a waste of yellow ap but her yellow power is random anyway.