Never mind, nothing to see here, these are droids you're looking for

andrewvanmarle
andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
edited October 2021 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Edit:

original title: Two cards in midnight hunt that might pose a problem:

Both cards aren't the problems i expected, thanks to @shteev aka @critman for testing.
--------

Spell Queller  and Sludgemonster  (SQ and SM)

-Spellqueller disables the most expensive creature or support at ETB. There is no end to this disable, it lasts till the end of the game
-Sludgemonster turns a creature into a base 2/2 with no evergreens. There is no end to that either, it lasts till the end of the game

For both cards that means that destroying or exiling that card doesn't end the effect, there is no other  stipulation that will end the effect.
The only way to end the effect is to destroy your own creature or support (in the case of Spell Queller).

This essently is an efffect where there are almost no answers to: There are one or two black and one blue spells that allow destroying your own creature while destroying your own suppport (without trying to match it to death) is impossible.
This kind of effect doesn't take into account that wie only have 3 creature slots and each creature after the first is considered to be the same creature (or support)

This can result in unfun and frustrating gameplay, where you can get bogged down without any type of answer.

I suggest to add something to the effect that would either undo it after SQ or SM leave play or that the effect is undone when reinforcing the affected creature or support.

@Oktagon_Support
Would you mind asking the dev team about this? maybe they can still add something to the cards before release?

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spell Queller  and Sludgemonster  (SQ and SM)

-Sludgemonster turns a creature into a base 2/2 with no evergreens. There is no end to that either, it lasts till the end of the game

Curious, how is this any different from the spell from Eldraine that turns creatures into 3/3 elk and removes evergreens? Or am I missing something? The only way to remove the effect was to destroy or exile the creature and bring it back or just recast another card copy of it from your hand.
  • andrewvanmarle
    I missed that actually, you are quite right. 

I never had that played against me, so I didn't consider it... 
  • andrewvanmarle
    It's not about nerfing such a card to death, but I do think it should have an answer....

Ah well, let see how it goes in actual play.....