Frequent Crashes (a plea for help) [Investigating]

Options
Tezzeret
Tezzeret Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
I am going to prefice this post by saying, "I love mtgpq, and I have been a hardcore player since orgins." Sure the game has certainly had its fair share of bugs... But nothing that's ever kept me away from playing the game everyday....

However, recently my play experience is becoming  increasingly frustrating.  I get a complete crash 2-3 times a day now. It's caused me countess losses in rewards, and is terrifying to play in coalition events as part of a top tier coalition...

Please D3, PLEASE do something to fix the state of the game. I pay you every month as a VIP player ( and so do thousands  of others) all I'm asking is for a functional product. I fear you will start losing your most loyal fan base. Again I love your game... please give  me a reason to stay in love with it....

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Is your chat overlay on by any chance? 

Mod note moved to Bugs & Technical Issues //bk
  • Tezzeret
    Options
    no never.  chat off , sound off music off, animations off. I would never have those dirty settings on
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have also been having this crashes daily since 5.0.0 was released. It has happened while having chat overlay on and off. I tried with both options just to confirm that it has nothing to do with chat overlay. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra with Android 11 if that helps the developers in some way. Before last week's update I had almost never had an app crash while playing PQ, now it is a daily thing. I already lost a perfect score in last week's coalition event and I'm sure that I will lose a lot more points because of it
  • Vanadis
    Vanadis Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Joining the club here as well - just had the game crash when I clicked "Fight" in a coalition event match, first time I'm seeing this on my phone. Also have all the settings disabled and I don't use the chat. I wouldn't care much but  my (also top tier) coalition losing points is quite frustrating and, well, unfair, this is not the experience I'm paying you for :) So yeah, "asking for a functional product" as well.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Options
    S21+ here, mutiple crashes per today, usually in the background but one today while looking at coalition scores. Started with latest version.
  • Tezzeret
    Options
    I'm curious if the Apple folks are also getting everyday crashes? I'm also on galaxy s20 and it's every day. 
     I ahd a fellow group.memeber recommend  always playing a TG match first to get the inevitable hard crash "out of the way" before a serious event... But this is still  a terrible bandaid fix...
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Playing on iPad iOS and I can’t recall any crashes for a long time, as in years. 

However before v5 of MTGPQ, I have experienced that switching to another app would cause MTGPQ to reload - each and every time.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Hello guys,
    Sorry to hear that you are experiencing in-game crashes, but thanks for all the information provided, this issue will be investigated!
    In the meantime, perhaps these steps can help reduce the problem:
    •  Make sure you have enough space on your device or your SD Card. (Full devices can run slower)
    •  Make sure your OS is updated to the most recent version and that you have the most recent version of the game.
    •  Restart your device often, especially if you are experiencing lag.
    •  Try clearing your device's cache.

Thanks for the patience,
    Rebeca
  • BongoTheGrey
    Options
    Regarding this I just want to say that after 5.0.1 I haven't experienced this app crashes anymore. Another reason that makes it the best update in PQ history. I know that it has only been several hours since that but I'll keep testing and will let you know if the crashes happen again
  • BongoTheGrey
    Options
    Here I am again just to report that this is not fixed at all. I always clear the cache before playing a coalition match since I don't want my team losing points because of a bug. I always do everything that I can to avoid them. But I just lost a coalition fight on the top node of Doomskar Claimants because my app hard crashed again. The most annoying thing is that it crashed right after I had won but before the game could register it as a win. It crashed exactly when both Planeswalker pictures are displayed saying who won and who lost. It's just like if your game was mocking me for thinking that 5.0.1 had successfully fixed the hard crashing issue on Android devices. Silly me
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    @BongoTheGrey can you post the information you shared in Dtn.  that information may help others fix this issue.   I can then scare it to our announcement channel.
  • BongoTheGrey
    Options
    This issue is still crashing some players games.

I had frequent crashes since July 2021 when this post was created until January 3rd 2022. The only thing that changed was that my phone updated the operating system from Android 11 to Android 12. Now that I'm on Android 12 the game seems to finally runs smoothly.

What I did the past 6 months to manage to play the game making the crashes less frequent, this is important since this doesn't fix the issue it just makes it less frequent, was turning off the Optimize Battery Usage settings on my phone for the Magic PQ app and also downgrading the Android System WebView app to the default settings. I did those 2 steps and also cleared the app cache every single time before opening the app every single time.

My app still crashed from time to time but it was way less frequent. I have also share this with several players in different discord servers and it has worked for some but hasn't worked for others.

I tried to help one player today and this steps didn't worked for them and that player is also using Android 11. So I'm pretty sure that it is an Android 11 only issue. I hope this info reaches the developers and this problem can be fixed soon.
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I will pass it on to the team! 😊
    Rebeca