**** Scorpion (Classic) ****

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares said:
    He could have been a decent replacement for SB in PvE scl10 if his multi hit attack was on red and not purple (with okoye and 5hor), as is, he is ok, the purple acceleration is good against goons specially. Sadly I dont think he will have a lot of use for most people (at least not for me :( )
    I just want you to know that I've been racking my brain for way too long, clearly blanking over who "SB" is.  This is how my brain processed it...

... Spider-Bob?
    ...Scarlet &itch?
    ...Strong Bad?

then continue this with random S and B words... Straight Blueberry, Singular Babboon, Sassafras Bodega... etc.
  • MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Interesting character. Definitely more for PVE than PVP.
    The purple looks like a solid attack, and the red passive, while situational, has good potential vs goons.
    Green makes sense thematically, but is lacking functionally.
    Thematically, he fits in perfectly with most of Spidey's rogues gallery. Venom4, Carnage, Kraven, Vulture and Prowler all eff with the enemy for having special/protect tiles.
    That all being said, I don't see him seeing a lot of action. For how conditional his red is, it should do more when it activates. And green is, again, lacking.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    Y'all be sure and watch out for that Sinister 3 of Kraven/Carbage|C4rnage/Scorpion, coming soon to a challenge node near you pumped up to lvl650.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    Polares said:
    He could have been a decent replacement for SB in PvE scl10 if his multi hit attack was on red and not purple (with okoye and 5hor), as is, he is ok, the purple acceleration is good against goons specially. Sadly I dont think he will have a lot of use for most people (at least not for me :( )
    I just want you to know that I've been racking my brain for way too long, clearly blanking over who "SB" is.  This is how my brain processed it...

... Spider-Bob?
    ...Scarlet &itch?
    ...Strong Bad?

then continue this with random S and B words... Straight Blueberry, Singular Babboon, Sassafras Bodega... etc.
    Hahaha yes, we sometimes abuse acronyms too much

The team was a big clue as usually Okoye, 5hor are teamed with either Spiderman 2099 or Sabretooth (now that I think about it SB is not a great acronym, it is the one I have seen here but probably ST would be better. I think from now on I will just call him sabre :P)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ST is pretty accepted as forum shorthand for Shield Training, so keep that in mind if you switch over to that one.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    AlexR said:
    Borstock said:
    Thanos said:
    I don't understand why he's being called a purple battery. Other than goons, how many abilities do you plan on letting the opponent fire? Scarlet Witch is a purple battery, not this guy. He's just more mediocre drek.

He's not a purple battery in PvP.

Which I think is a shame.
    We've got 100+ 4star characters and multiple batteries for every colour... *except* purple for some weird reason. If you need to feed purple, you have to go back to 3stars and use SWitch.
    When I saw his power, I got really excited that he might finally be a 4* purple battery - but yeah, vs PvE-goons only.
    I'd really like a PvP-useable 4* purple battery.
    Another possible 4* purple battery can be 4* Mysterio? but I think Scarlet Witch is still the best purple battery out there so far.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Mysterio is such a tantalizing multi-battery. He can do purple if his countdown is out and you match yellow, and he can do yellow if you're swimming in blue, so you like need a battery for his battery to power his generator...He was really effective making yellow with Old Bishop, but now I'm not sure who wears the current Blue Battery crown.
  • PiMacleod
    @wingX

I've done the Mysterio thing before.  It's not horrible... it works.  But it's not as guaranteed, or as quick.  The only way it surpasses it is if you have a yellow-heavy board early on, and it stays that way (in your favor).  High requirements just to get purple AP.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I like Mysterio, he's fun. I think he can be a good yellow semi-battery. As in, not a true straight up *battery* a la Vulture, IM40, RHulk's purple, etc, but he's great at turning the blue someone else pushs out and making yellow with it. Which is why he works so amazingly with Miles Morales+InfiniSpidey.
    But a purple battery, he ain't. He's not generating anything additional from those yellow matches; he can spend AP so yellow matches count as purple matches for 4 turns. You could also just... match purple from the start.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    AlexR said:
    I like Mysterio, he's fun. I think he can be a good yellow semi-battery. As in, not a true straight up *battery* a la Vulture, IM40, RHulk's purple, etc, but he's great at turning the blue someone else pushs out and making yellow with it. Which is why he works so amazingly with Miles Morales+InfiniSpidey.
    But a purple battery, he ain't. He's not generating anything additional from those yellow matches; he can spend AP so yellow matches count as purple matches for 4 turns. You could also just... match purple from the start.
    I think the idea is you can get purple by matching both yellow and purple, but it's not as you say like one of those "fire the power, get the AP" batteries.
  • AlexR
    AlexR said:
    I think the idea is you can get purple by matching both yellow and purple, but it's not as you say like one of those "fire the power, get the AP" batteries.

I guess. Idk, I mean, if you have no other yellow outlet and a good purple, yeah sure why not, it's fine. But I would not use this in cases where I actually need a battery.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    That's why I say he feels like he should have a value some kind of way, but without a killer blue battery I haven't found it yet. He's very circuitous in a way that makes me think I should be able to do something tricky with it lol
  • PiMacleod
    AlexR said:
    AlexR said:

I guess. Idk, I mean, if you have no other yellow outlet and a good purple, yeah sure why not, it's fine. But I would not use this in cases where I actually need a battery.
    For my uses, I did exactly what @ThaRoadWarrior stated.  Purple counted for purple, and yellow counted for purple. Thats two colors out of 7... works decently well.  If you have a purple-dry board, this is another way to get it running.

Add in the blue-to-yellow conversion (with potential stun), and that's a 3rd color option.  Match yellow, use it for purple... or match blue, and it'll become yellow eventually, which you can use for purple. 

This is all assuming you don't wanna use those colors for anything else Mysterio is offering -- which is more-than-likely since we're talking about batteries.  It'd be nicer if the conversion was more efficient, though... would be a neat idea for a character honestly -- a color converter.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    PiMacleod said:
    Polares said:

... Spider-Bob?
    ...Scarlet &itch?
    ...Strong Bad?

It's clearly 5* Sponge Bob  ;)
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2020
    I was wondering why he was all green.  I remember Scorpion from the animated Spider-Man series.
    Edit: It looks like the picture won't show.  Sigh.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    A pretty strong 4*.  Purple nukes are reasonably rare, and while this one doesn't have great efficiency at base numbers, it has multidips and he generates pretty strong strike tiles, and he has decent self-accel (especially against goons) so it should play up in practice.
    15k health at 270 is pretty solid and while not particularly great, at least the green is cheap and aoe, to give it some utility (not enough to make me want to use it at 5, but some).  He will be solid with okoye/apoc as long as he doesn't tank purple.
    He will be a bit frustrating to play whenever he ends up in a challenge node; I expect he  merit an early stun most of the time.
    Also, even though scorpion seems pretty good, the 4* tier is still pretty DOA, and additional time/effort spent on this tier has very little marginal value to the game.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Polares said:

Hey Devs, what if you move your focus a bit more into 5 chars?, quite a long time without releasing a great 5 char (since Apoc), stop releasing useless chars like Magneto. This game is starting to get pretty boring with not a single char to look up to.
    Are you kidding?  The game has gotten much better. Polaris is in EVERY PvAI , and they’ve given away so much of her in PvE and Alliance that everyone has her. Now everyone has the same meta of 5 rotating characters and it evens out the field since you’re usually fighting the mirror of your own team. My chances of winning are usually greater than 90% now compared to when you had 0% chance against Bishop or Worthy teams . ST is basically the same as a 2vs2 with Polaris as the feature character. 
  • AlexR
    Are you kidding?  The game has gotten much better. Polaris is in EVERY PvAI , and they’ve given away so much of her in PvE and Alliance that everyone has her. Now everyone has the same meta of 5 rotating characters and it evens out the field since you’re usually fighting the mirror of your own team. My chances of winning are usually greater than 90% now compared to when you had 0% chance against Bishop or Worthy teams . ST is basically the same as a 2vs2 with Polaris as the feature character. 
    You say that like it's a good thing, pff. Everyone using the same meta of 5 rotating characters in a cast of 100 characters is extremely boring. Why would you want that?
    I mean sure, if a specific character or team is strong enough that you have no answer for them it sucks, but that's not an arguement for "everyone using the same rotating 5 meta characters", it's just an argument for better balancing and more counter play. Like Sabretooth being released and solving everyone's GRocket-with-synergy-partner problem.
    Also, why would you bother to fight a mirror of your own team, when a lot of other characters are also well or better equipped to deal with the meta characters. Polaris is fast on offense, but thankfully not hard to beat at all.
    I don't get the obsession with using Polaris on every team - even on teams it really makes no sense for her to be. Makes them even easier to beat, great, but it's very boring to see.
    It's like people forgot that the rest of the characters exist, even though there's plenty very good characters in there.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    AlexR said:

<snip>

I don't get the obsession with using Polaris on every team - even on teams it really makes no sense for her to be. Makes them even easier to beat, great, but it's very boring to see.
    It's like people forgot that the rest of the characters exist, even though there's plenty very good characters in there.
    (1) polaris the most recent meta character (and certainly the best 4* since karnak) released and such characters always get a boost in play.  This will taper off in time as exciting new meta characters roll out.
    (2) she is part of the best offensive PVE and PVP teams in the game right now (because she offers the most passive damage ticks to be boosted by okoye/apoc/kitty), and offensive speed has always been the monarch of MPQ's meta (unless we go back to infinite rags or other Year 1 oddities).
    (3) she is also part of the best current winfinite engine the game, giving her a role in extremely challenging PVE content that can't easily be beaten straight up.
    Scorpion seems unlikely to change those facts, so I doubt he will affect the prevalence of polaris in a meaningful way (even though he will also pair reasonably well with the meta damage boosters).

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2020
    She has use when played defensively, especially when you team her up with Medusa. It makes your opponents (team with R4G/BRB) think twice about matching special tiles.