Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    ThaRoadWarrior said:
    IceIX said:

Polar Coordination - 10  AP
    Magneto surveys the battlefield, planning the perfect moment to strike. Magneto converts 3 Basic Green tiles to Yellow and goes Airborne for 2 turns. For every 3 Yellow AP Magneto has when he returns from being Airborne, deal a blow of 1148 damage to the enemy (up to 8 . (Max Level 4614 damage)
    • Level 2: Deal 1339 damage. (Max Level 5383 damage)
    • Level 3: Deal 1531 damage. (Max Level 6182 damage)
    • Level 4: Converts 4 tiles.
    • Level 5: Go Airborne for 3 turns and deal 2105 damage. (Max Level 8459 damage)
    @Demiurge_Anthony Can you clarify if the green to yellow conversion happens every turn he's airborne, or is it just when you initially fire the power?
    Magnetic Inhibitor - 9  AP
    Magneto manipulates the iron in his enemy's blood, weakening their position. Magneto creates 2 strength 38 Black Strike tiles. Then create 2 Purple 2-turn Repeater tiles that convert 1 enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles to a friendly Strike tile and deal 153 damage. (Max level strength 154 tiles, 615 damage)
    • Level 2: Repeater tiles deal 268 damage. (Max level 1076 damage)
    • Level 3: Repeater tiles deal 383 damage. (Max level 1538 damage)
    • Level 4: Repeater tiles deal 765 damage. (Max level 3075 damage)
    • Level 5: Repeater tiles deal 1454 damage. (Max level 5843 damage)
    Release Schedule
    Do the strike values not scale with the number of covers or the character level, just the damage? Also do the repeaters do anything if there are no enemy specials to convert?
    And to add one more question: What is a "basic Strike, Attack, or Protect tile"?  That seems counter-intuitive.  Should this power be read as (1) choose a color, (2) convert X random tiles of that color to friendly protects, BUT (3) if any randomly selected tile is already a friendly SAP, buff it instead?

Eternal Induction - 6  AP
    Once in the X-Men, always in the X-Men. Magneto protects his people in the face of danger. Convert 2 basic Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles of a chosen color into strength 69 Protect tiles. If a friendly Strike, Attack, or Protect tile would be converted, instead improve it by 38. (Max level strength 277/154 tiles)

(PASSIVE) Protect tiles are 28% stronger for each active X-Men member on Magneto's team.
    • Level 2: Convert 3 tiles.
    • Level 3: Create tiles of 77 strength, improve tiles by 68. Protect tile strength is increased by 30%. (Max level strength 308/277 tiles)
    • Level 4: Create tiles of 92 strength, improve tiles by 76. Protect tile strength is increased by 35%. (Max level strength 369/308 tiles)
    • Level 5: Convert 4 Protect tiles. Protect tile strength is increased by 48%.

• Vhailorx
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Bad said:
    Okay. Kitty needs a certain number of tiles for to improve them, if not she is done.
    Magneto increases them without any turn and without a minimal limit.
    Magneto brb(both yellow 5) and polaris. On this team right on the start protect will be almost 600. On this team must be denied at all cost 6 blue, but also 6 yellow or there will be 4 protect of 600. Also trying to down polaris before she matches any protect, or there will be 3 protects of 300 more or less. Plus denying red.
    Like you can see, not a really pleasant team, if not having a ton of red and anti protects.

You are conveniently ignoring that Kitty's tile buff is both significantly stronger than 5Mags' and, most importantly, passive.  Yes, it takes turns, but you must burn through those turns to advance the game anyway, so her boosting has zero marginal costs.  5Mags can only boost with his yellow active, which is cheap but detracts from the strength of his blue nuke.  And you must already have the tiles out to boost in the first place (just like kitty). 
    And thanks to the existence of apoc, it should remain pretty easy to carve through just about any polaris-reliant PVP team.  All it takes is 7 red. 
    Magneto has a protect-boosting passive that's just flat from the jump go. The active component is also there, but all protects are N% stronger for every active X-Man on the team.

Yes, 5mags passively boosts protects by a flat, but healthy amount, but that's not really relevant to the discussion.  adding 3k damage per turn ad infinitum will almost certainly be better than adding a flat 48% (or 96%) in the long run unless the protect tiles spawn at a much higher base value than the 300-600 that one can get from BRB and 5Msgs.  So 5Mags only advantage is early on in a match.  And I don't think it's enough to prevent polaris from being dropped quickly (c.f., apoc's red).  As a defensive team, I just don't see this as being more intimidating than the existing meta teams. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It is not necessary to boost a protect to 2000, with 600 is hard enough.
    Vhailorx said:
    You are conveniently ignoring that Kitty's tile buff is both significantly stronger than 5Mags' and, most importantly, passive.  Yes, it takes turns, but you must burn through those turns to advance the game anyway, so her boosting has zero marginal costs.  5Mags can only boost with his yellow active, which is cheap but detracts from the strength of his blue nuke.  And you must already have the tiles out to boost in the first place (just like kitty). 
    And thanks to the existence of apoc, it should remain pretty easy to carve through just about any polaris-reliant PVP team.  All it takes is 7 red. 
    You are conveniently ignoring that kitty has a certain limit to improve at turn, mag not.
    And not, 7 AP is insufficient. It deals 15k damage more or less.

On the other hand, suprresing kitty from the team leaves a slot free. One funny team greatly defensive could be mag, brb and okoye.
    Protects always of 450 more or less, another time trying to deny blue, yellow, and repeater of red. And aiming for okoye of course.
    I dont think trying to deny the defensive potential of this magneto would be reasonable.
    About his airborne, it could serve as an scape, too.
  • Vhailorx
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Bad said:
    You are conveniently ignoring that kitty has a certain limit to improve at turn, mag not.

finish reading the power description for apoc's red: it does ~16k at base and ignores protect tiles.  The board could be absolutely filled with strength 10,000 protects boosted 98% by 5Mags, and polaris still can't tank even a single cast until she is well past level 300 (and that is assuming a level 450 apoc). 
    Also, I don't quite understand what you are saying about boosting limits.  Do you mean that Kitty only ever boosts by a flat amount, while 5Mags is proportional?  that's true, I suppose, but not really relevant unless you can alter the base strength of the protects, which is something that takes ap to do (and is therefore limited in its own way)

• Bad
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    Bad said:

finish reading the description: apoc's red does ~16k at base and ignores protect tiles.  polaris can't tank even a single cast until she is well past level 300 (and that is assuming a level 450 apoc). 

Yes, with polaris is sufficient. Now deal with the others.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I think we'll see some interesting teams before too long. The thing about Mag5's boost is that it's always applying N% additional to whatever the base damage is. So Magneto/Kitty is going to be a thing for sure. Unless you bring Thor and/or Apocalypse (or Red Guardian, or C4ge), this team will be untouchable from the jump off defensively if BRB is present.

I personally don't think BRB/Polaris will be the killer team for him defensively, certainly not if you could use an all-XMen tagged team instead. Which reminds me that Juggernaut has the X-Men tag, so you might see Mag5 going airborne after dropping some strikes and then letting Kitty/Juggernaut go to work. While he's airborne the tanking would likely revert largely to juggernaut depending on how built your Kitty is.
  • Bad
    Options
    Magneto can set his strikes and repeaters and scape from his suicidal power creep, while still buffing his protects and preparing his comeback. I dont think that would be bad. 
    Different perphaps. And interesting, tactical and funny too.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Bzhai said:
    I hope Apocalypse and Prof X will be in his debut store. I don't think there will be much objection to this. 
    Since his store opens on American Thanksgiving maybe they will put in some characters related to that holiday , although I can’t think of any way to associate any current 5* to it. 

( I’m guessing Hawkeye for avian association)
    Or one of the Captain Americas.
    Nice Nostradamus call !! 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    TAnd to add one more question: What is a "basic Strike, Attack, or Protect tile"?  That seems counter-intuitive.  Should this power be read as (1) choose a color, (2) convert X random tiles of that color to friendly protects, BUT (3) if any randomly selected tile is already a friendly SAP, buff it instead?

My guess is that a basic strike/attack/protect tile is one that is not fortified or locked.
    From the wording I'd say it's going to select them at random (from the color you choose) and then if it selects friendly tiles they are improved and if it's enemy tiles they are stolen and converted. So if you had say 3* Fist on your team and he made a bunch of red strikes you might select Red to improve them all or if the enemy was running 4* Thing and had a bunch of Yellow protects you might select Yellow to convert (well they are already protects) and steal them.
    KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I wonder if it wasn’t supposed to be “Basic, strike, etc” 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2020
    Options
    It's probably typing error. It looks like it will count all strike/attack/protect tiles on the board of the chosen colour. If it belongs to the enemy, convert them to protect tiles, and if it belongs to your team, buff them instead. This looks more logical because his passive buffs protect tiles.

However, his passive power didn't specify friendly protect tiles but only protect tiles, whereas Nico specifically mentions friendly protect tiles. 

Basically, there are quite a number of typing errors.  :D

Edit: his abilities are up.

It's missing a comma. :D
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm hoping all the yaysayers are right. Mags is one of my favourite X-men characters, and imo he should have been as strong as Apocalypse in-game, or at least the level of Prof or even Onslaught. I mean, this dude literally ripped Apocalypse in half in AoA. Here's hoping someone finds an awesome combo with him. Maybe Vulture/Mags/iHulk, especially for that godawful SHIELD node against Thing/Mordo/Starlord?
  • Bad
    Options
    Another thing... any improvement to any protect with him is a lot more...
    I.e: a protect of 200 at yellow 5 would be 350. If there is a 200 improvement it would dnt be 550. It should be 400 base then 600. It gains 50 extra on that improvement.
    In the same way if he dies or other xmen allies it would return to his initial base.
    Then with another xmen a protect of 200 should be 400. If there is a 200 improvement its not 600. It would be 800.
    Like I said his defensive potential must not be underrated.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm hoping all the yaysayers are right. Mags is one of my favourite X-men characters, and imo he should have been as strong as Apocalypse in-game, or at least the level of Prof or even Onslaught. I mean, this dude literally ripped Apocalypse in half in AoA. Here's hoping someone finds an awesome combo with him. Maybe Vulture/Mags/iHulk, especially for that godawful SHIELD node against Thing/Mordo/Starlord?
    I wish his powers referenced that moment. It’s iconic. Would have loved to see a board shake power that ripped the board in two (like blow up the middle columns), particularly would have been cool if it triggered passively on a match 4 so you could run him with PX and Onslaught in SIM and let things go bonkers. Woulda been fun
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Given that Magneto is a divise character in the comic books, it seems fitting that 5* Mags is causing equal splits in our MPQ playerbase! I am actually looking forward to trying him out more than any of the last few releases.
    Having Cap (FA) in the store has soured it for me. I don't mind Kitty as that will eventually translate into champ levels when I go to 5-land but Cap is a pretty terrible 5* and pulling his covers will feel a bit wasteful.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    Given that Magneto is a divise character in the comic books, it seems fitting that 5* Mags is causing equal splits in our MPQ playerbase! I am actually looking forward to trying him out more than any of the last few releases.
    Having Cap (FA) in the store has soured it for me. I don't mind Kitty as that will eventually translate into champ levels when I go to 5-land but Cap is a pretty terrible 5* and pulling his covers will feel a bit wasteful.
    I'm looking forward to trying him out too, and I'm definitely going to chase him and make him my next 5* champ. It's just a shame, because he could have been so much better. Hopefully, and as many others have mentioned, he plays up in practice, and powerful teammates and combos are found for him.

As for FACap...there was a time when I would have loved an opportunity to cover him. Mine is currently at 3/3/2 and 250 sharts, so I do have a good chance of doing exactly that. Just that, with the power creep, old 5* aren't as enticing anymore. And I'd be using up resources that could be diverted towards upcoming 5* who can hopefully join the meta. At least Cap isn't as bad as IM46 (who would have made more sense than Cap in the store, given the metal link)...
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    When he's airborne what happens to his repeaters? Also, when he's airborne do we assume his +% protect buff is removed? 

I imagine Magneto protecting his allies then he goes airborne to survey the battlefield and returns triumphantly to find his allies have been beaten to a pulp in his absence. 
  • Bad
    Options
    Efectively his yellow power can convert enemy special tiles to protect, along with his red and repeaters. He can hunt hulkoye and britty teams.
    Did you hear a knock?
    Knock knock knocking on the metas door.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bad said:
    Efectively his yellow power can convert enemy special tiles to protect, along with his red and repeaters. He can hunt hulkoye and britty teams.
    Did you hear a knock?
    Knock knock knocking on the metas door.
    I really really wanna believe you... but I can't see it.

Hulkokoye don't use special tiles, man.  You can't convert a thing.  And strengthening what you may have is nice, but we've seen how strong that Hulkokoye gets... add in Prof5 for another layer of 10k+ damage, and that's before Okoye really collects a bunch of TU.

I really wanna believe you.  I do.  But I gotta see it in practice I guess -- because after all I've seen in PvP, if you don't have good board luck, the AI doesn't have to do anything but casually match whatever to win.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm looking forward to trying him out too, and I'm definitely going to chase him and make him my next 5* champ. It's just a shame, because he could have been so much better. Hopefully, and as many others have mentioned, he plays up in practice, and powerful teammates and combos are found for him.

As for FACap...there was a time when I would have loved an opportunity to cover him. Mine is currently at 3/3/2 and 250 sharts, so I do have a good chance of doing exactly that. Just that, with the power creep, old 5* aren't as enticing anymore. And I'd be using up resources that could be diverted towards upcoming 5* who can hopefully join the meta. At least Cap isn't as bad as IM46 (who would have made more sense than Cap in the store, given the metal link)...

I said it a little while ago and it bears repeating - forget Wasp (sorry Mr. F!) or Banner - there should be a good 5* Iron Man in this game (Cap too) - it is unforgivable that the "Big 3" have 2 underwhelming members. Rebalance Tony and make him awesome is my no.1 wish.