**** Elsa Bloodstone (Monster Hunter) ****

Options
124»

Comments

• furbear00000
    furbear00000 Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3) C&D and Mister Sinister: this team was interesting and since no one has use for green match, Elsa can convert those green tiles to black tiles without care. Converting tiles from black to yellow followed by converting other coloured tiles to black was fun to watch. I got a few free matches from this. The majority of the board was indeed black and yellow. 

What if you replaced Sinister with GE Doom?
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sinister could be her 5* ST teammate: his abilities and theme fits her pretty well.
    Was just thinking this. And Sinister goes very well with GED, who’s in the ST with Else. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I tried out C&D with GED in the 5* node. As usual, I get free yellow and black matches. Then, GED also gave free matches with his yellow power. GED packs a direct offensive power, whereas Mister Sinister's main damage via trap tends to be a little RNG based.

Elsa (3/5/5) and GED (3/5/5) aren't going to be fast (for 4* players) because you have to rely on her trap tiles to deal damage and GED has only one offensive power. It took some time for me to finish the match. It could be due to the opponents being goons and not making matches. We'll see what happens for the next ST 5* node.

My next candidate after C&D will be Invisible Woman. Elsa's ST 5* nodes don't seem to be easy and I'm leaning towards defensive play, which could be interesting. That's why IW is there to protect my team from most of the damage type (except AoE) with her yellow power.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, yeah, Elsa being able to hurt airborne characters does not really help if she is airbourne herself - really an immunity here would have helped because so far she has been useless against Riri...
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really wish Elsa could bring Airborne teammates back.  That would be a really cool feature.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I normally don't align myself with @Vhailorx's view on the "4* is diluted" topic, but I do understand it.

However, he does make very valid points.  I'm not saying the rest of you AREN'T making valid points...  just pointing out that his are not without merit as well.

The biggest thing that stood out to me, and usually does when @Vhailorx states things like this, is the "optimal" play style thing.  Meta stuff.  If they release a new 4*, it needs to be up there with the current meta, or it flops and adds nothing to the meta.  Sure, there are those of us in the player-base that go against the grain (look at @Mr_F's Adventures with 5* Wasp thread), but that's not the norm by far.  In fact, if people wanna see the "norm", go look at other threads, YouTube vids, Facebook posts, etc.  Sure, you'll see support for a variety of characters... but if you keep skimming, you'll see how mention of BRB, Kitty, Polaris, Okoye, Apoc, Karnak, etc, heavily outweigh the other names.

Once again, I compare this to other video games.  There's a meta in all of them.  Whenever a new character is introduced in games like League of Legends, or Overwatch, or SSBU, or Apex Legends, etc... if they can't compete with the current meta, people will NOT gravitate to them as heavily as someone who actually shakes up the meta.  Characters who shake up the meta cause more people to desire them... causing some players to shell out for that in-game currency, buy that DLC, etc.  If it's just a new character, but doesn't add much to the meta, less players are interested.  The only people buying at that point are your collectors and hardcore supporters... people who play the meta won't care.  Barely anyone cares about Rampart in Apex Legends, because she doesn't compete with Wraith, Wattson, Pathfinder, Gibraltar... but on the flip side, EVERYONE wants Steve in SSBU, because he's heavily altering peoples' strategies and has already won at least one tournament since his release.  Make the character a meta-shaker, and more people will want them.

However, I still don't think there's a solution to any of this in MPQ.  When @Vhailorx says they "painted themselves into a corner", I really think it's more of a "we didn't expect a match-3 FTP mobile game to last this long!".  I mean, who expects over 200 characters in a match 3 game?!  Sure, 'shoot for the moon' and all that... but dang, they actually hit the moon, I'd say!  So now, they made that trophy tier of 5*s years ago, and committed to the point that they were going to be the hardest to obtain.  You can't go back on that!  People spent real life money on all of this!  If you were to reduce the value of 5*s by adding a 6* tier, you'd have the community equivalent of the whales "flipping the table".  If you release 6*s in a way that requires even MORE grinding and harder-to-get resources, that'd make the non-whales pretty mad, and let's face it, we have the larger voice.  Sure, it doesn't pay like a whales voice, but we are the better advertising.  We make up the FB posts and online presence more than whales do by far... so you can't make us mad, because that would lead to lower ratings on Google Play and more.

So yeah... they're "painted into a corner"... but in such a way, that I can't blame them.  We just had a 7th anniversary for a mobile game!  Who does that?!?!
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Elsa worked great with Hulkoye in her PvP because she feeds so much yellow to Okoye.
    If the opponent Elsa's weren't loaners/weak it might be a different story (because of her purple), but the opponent Elsa died too fast to do much of anything.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ally mate pointed this out to me and now I can’t unsee it.

Elsa’s right hand is drawn on backwards on the event screen for PVP.

That or the most horrible arm mutilation has happened. 

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
     If you were to reduce the value of 5*s by adding a 6* tier, you'd have the community equivalent of the whales "flipping the table".  If you release 6*s in a way that requires even MORE grinding and harder-to-get resources, that'd make the non-whales pretty mad, and let's face it, we have the larger voice.  Sure, it doesn't pay like a whales voice, but we are the better advertising.  We make up the FB posts and online presence more than whales do by far... so you can't make us mad, because that would lead to lower ratings on Google Play and more.

So yeah... they're "painted into a corner"... but in such a way, that I can't blame them.  We just had a 7th anniversary for a mobile game!  Who does that?!?!
    Can you be sure that a 6* tier has not been released yet? Because if you compare silver surfer with apocalypse, if surfer is a 5* then apocalypse on powers and stats would be a 7*. For not talking about banner, or even phoenix(and not disturbing wasp on her sleep).
    Archangel has received his rebalance and he can be glad for it with his 60k health. Not so happy with his powers damage, being exclusively a 5* for counter flying characters.
    So another time power creep is the key and the difference.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    pheregas said:
    Ally mate pointed this out to me and now I can’t unsee it.

Elsa’s right hand is drawn on backwards on the event screen for PVP.

That or the most horrible arm mutilation has happened. 
    You're the second person in the forum to mention it. I think it's just the perspective, it makes her ring finger appear as long as or even longer than her middle finger. She's holding the shotgun at an angle and the picture is actually a mirror image of the Welcome to SHIELD picture (the same one as the one in the first post of this thread).  It's quite hard to draw that and a mirror image picture usually looks weird. There are plenty of examples of people holding a shotgun on the internet that look similar to how she's holding it.
    Whoops.  Must have overlooked that.  We got a pandemic puppy a few days ago and I haven't been this tired since my youngest was an infant.
  • PiMacleod
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Bad said:
    PiMacleod said:
     If you were to reduce the value of 5*s by adding a 6* tier, you'd have the community equivalent of the whales "flipping the table".  If you release 6*s in a way that requires even MORE grinding and harder-to-get resources, that'd make the non-whales pretty mad, and let's face it, we have the larger voice.  Sure, it doesn't pay like a whales voice, but we are the better advertising.  We make up the FB posts and online presence more than whales do by far... so you can't make us mad, because that would lead to lower ratings on Google Play and more.

Can you be sure that a 6* tier has not been released yet? Because if you compare silver surfer with apocalypse, if surfer is a 5* then apocalypse on powers and stats would be a 7*. For not talking about banner, or even phoenix(and not disturbing wasp on her sleep).
    Archangel has received his rebalance and he can be glad for it with his 60k health. Not so happy with his powers damage, being exclusively a 5* for counter flying characters.
    So another time power creep is the key and the difference.
    I get what you're saying.  I do.

But the point of what I was saying was to alleviate, or allow the devs to stop releasing 4*s, per @vhailorx's posts.  To stop doing that, they'd need to still release characters to keep the game flowing -- new character releases are the ONE thing that keep the game flowing.  I know I sound ridiculous for saying that (typing that?) but its true... we all gather and speculate at new characters.  We long for characters to be introduced, whether its a fan fave, or a small time dude barely anyone's heard of.

If they keep releasing 4*s, it will dilute the pool even more.  It's VERY hard to get the person you want, except for targeting them for shards.  If it wasn't for that, it'd be near impossible.  BEYOND that, if the 4* isn't meta-shaking, then it isn't as appealing to potential HP buyers -- just the collectors amongst us.  At least every 5* has that MASSIVE power creep that keeps each and every one of us seeing some sort of value with nearly every release.

While I don't believe that each 4* is useless, it's very easy to see that some are just blatantly less-useful than others.  Northstar, anyone?  Don't get me started on Talos or Namor.  I mean, you're gonna have people that defend these characters, and that's expected... some people have their favorites, and some just like having options and/or taking the road-less-traveled... but I think we can all agree that these characters absolutely PALE in comparison to Polaris, and pre-nerf Bishop/Worthycap.  Sure, there's a use for everyone (nearly), but how effective/practical is it, especially when there are easier routes to win with?

So, yeah -- the new 5*s are the "6*", I get it... but it doesn't change the 4* release-and-dilute-train.  I can't help but wonder if they should just make multiple (like 2 or 3) Heroic and Mighty stores...

...What I mean by that is what if the Mighty store and the Heroic store (and maybe even the Legendary stores?) had MULTIPLE buttons to click, instead of the single button (or multi-pull buttons)?  Most of the store is just a giant splash screen -- there's a LOT of real estate to use for buttons.  So, I'll use the Heroic store to explain this, as it already has the most buttons.  Currently, it's a ROW of buttons... but what if we added ANOTHER row on top of those?  You could have the top row be "this" set of 4*s, and the bottom row be "that" row of 4*s... this would allow the player to pull for a set that has the character(s) they want.  But I wanna emphasize that a Heroic token is still a Heroic token, and these are BOTH Heroic token 'options'... so if you have 10 tokens, you could use all 10 on one button, or 5 on this button and 5 on the other.  Maybe for those people who like how it currently is, make a 3rd button/row for the "ALL" option.

This example above can be expanded upon for Mighties and Legendaries too.  Or, maybe the devs like their splash art... well, you could have a slider at the top under the title bar of the store... the slider bar/toggle switch thing could have settings for different stores.  For example {--ALL----------Store #1----------Store #2--}.   You could slide the toggle switch between what option you want, and that would dictate what 4* selection is available from your token pulls.  This would allow them to keep the giant splash screen, keep the buttons the same, and only add a sliding bar option under the title.

...Sorry I keep droning on.  I have a passion for game development ideas... can't help it.

EDIT: grammar
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

...What I mean by that is what if the Mighty store and the Heroic store (and maybe even the Legendary stores?) had MULTIPLE buttons to click, instead of the single button (or multi-pull buttons)?  Most of the store is just a giant splash screen -- there's a LOT of real estate to use for buttons.  So, I'll use the Heroic store to explain this, as it already has the most buttons.  Currently, it's a ROW of buttons... but what if we added ANOTHER row on top of those?  You could have the top row be "this" set of 4*s, and the bottom row be "that" row of 4*s... this would allow the player to pull for a set that has the character(s) they want.  But I wanna emphasize that a Heroic token is still a Heroic token, and these are BOTH Heroic token 'options'... so if you have 10 tokens, you could use all 10 on one button, or 5 on this button and 5 on the other.  Maybe for those people who like how it currently is, make a 3rd button/row for the "ALL" option.

You have my vote for that.
    And now devs would say "but in every pvp its posible to draw the 4* we are presenting". I think I never got the 4* on the event, even when there were few times that I tried, so hard it is.
    For 4* players it would be actually appealing, right now their only option is to wait for a special vault or a bundle.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Hmm... i should cut and paste that into the 'suggestions' forum.   I'll go do that.  :)