A Timeless Voyage inbox warning

Thanks for the warning about A Timeless Voyage that you sent to the inbox.

Did you ever consider... ooh... maybe not running A Timeless Voyage?

Comments

• ambrosio191ambrosio191 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    So what are they supposed to run? Cant run Hunter X Bonder or Titanomachy because they are too easy and too punishing if you miss 1 objective.  Cant run The Great Tournament because it's a grind of a PvP event with horrible rewards and often buggy. Cant run RAW because it's been run into the ground and has terrible rewards.   TE triggers mass exodus events from the game, so that's out. That's all of the standard events, lets look at legacy, though we cant run those because they are old and stale and have been played to death as well.  We have complained RtO and TDW out of existence, same with BoFT pt 1 and 2. RotGP is the definition of beating a dead horse with how many times we have played it. We just ran Avacyn's Madness, so that's out. AWR is too easy and also requires some set specific cards (though doable now with the saga's in THB making it accessible to newer players). All that's left is HoD and HoR, neither of which people like anymore.
    Those are our options. Saying we should have better, more rewarding events is not an answer to what to run this weekend.
  • critmancritman Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    edited 16 October 2020, 18:52
    Listen, it's not my fault that they don't balance events properly and don't make enough of them.

But running an event which actually doesn't work as intended? Seems like a poor idea.

"What do you want, shteev? Do you want Oktagon to make a decent amount of balanced events, AND make them work properly? Is that what you want?"
    You didnt answer my question, you just complained again.  What do you want them to run that wont result in you complaining again?
    edited 16 October 2020, 23:31
    They've run 41 weekend coalition events this year, and if you can find and post in this thread links to me complaining about, say, 10% of those, I'll give you $1000
    Am I looking at just your current account, or your 3rd banned account that you used from December to March as well? If it's just your current account it's a little disingenuous to count the first 3 months of the year when critman didnt join until halfway through March.
  • BarnabesBarnabes Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I was initially worried about this notice, but with the double swipes it’s absolutely manageable. If anything it makes the event more interesting. Originally I could run just about any ramp deck and crush the opponent the second the big finish comes around, if not much earlier. Now meeting that goal takes at least a modicum of planning to make sure you don’t pop off too soon. 
  • andrewvanmarleandrewvanmarle Posts: 785 Critical Contributor
    Am I looking at just your current account, or your 3rd banned account that you used from December to March as well? If it's just your current account it's a little disingenuous to count the first 3 months of the year when critman didnt join until halfway through March.
    He may be grumpy at times, but he isn't disingenuous or dishonest. So count any account he's had this year... 
    Whatever you like! Go crazy!

Honestly, ambrosio, personal feelings aside, you gotta admit that it's entirely valid feedback to complain about a broken event being run, and this is exactly the right place to provide that feedback.
  • VolrakVolrak Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    critman said:

you gotta admit that it's entirely valid feedback to complain about a broken event being run, and this is exactly the right place to provide that feedback.
    It's valid to say what you think, but it also felt a little perverse, because it was negative feedback when the actual things they did differently since last time they ran the event were all positive.
    Volrak said:

It's valid to say what you think, but it also felt a little perverse, because it was negative feedback when the actual things they did differently since last time they ran the event were all positive.
    Well, I'm nothing if not a little perverse :smile:

I don't understand what you've written here, though, can you explain?
    Here is you complaining about Titanomachy (where you also said you werent playing anymore, yet still complaining):
    Here is you complaining about A timeless Voyage for the first time in the context of matchmaking:
    Here is you complaining about Hunter X Bonder in the context of it being too easy compared to A Timeless Voyage:
    Here is a backhand complaint about TE (which I agree with) while complaining about Rotgp:
    Here is you complaining about Rotgp and AvM in the context of event format:
    Here is you complaining about AvM going on too long:
    and here is a link to this very thread, where you are complaining about the devs doing what we asked and giving us a warning about an issue that is getting fixed in the next update:

A lot of these were in feedback threads, but every time you post it's some backhand insult to the devs, so it's hard to accept anything you say as feedback and not just you complaining.

critman said:
    Volrak said:

Well, I'm nothing if not a little perverse :smile:

I don't understand what you've written here, though, can you explain?
    Sure.  Maybe this helps: The event's always been run with the Identity objective issue.  There have been (valid) questions about it, but there's never been a snarky "don't run this" before.  What's changed here?  Only positive things (great clear communication about the issue; the fix being developed for the release).  Actual steps forward appear to have taken sentiment backwards.
    edited 17 October 2020, 22:50
    Here is you complaining about Titanomachy (where you also said you werent playing anymore, yet still complaining):
    Here is you complaining about A timeless Voyage for the first time in the context of matchmaking:
    Here is you complaining about Hunter X Bonder in the context of it being too easy compared to A Timeless Voyage:
    Here is a backhand complaint about TE (which I agree with) while complaining about Rotgp:
    Here is you complaining about Rotgp and AvM in the context of event format:
    Here is you complaining about AvM going on too long:
    and here is a link to this very thread, where you are complaining about the devs doing what we asked and giving us a warning about an issue that is getting fixed in the next update:

A lot of these were in feedback threads, but every time you post it's some backhand insult to the devs, so it's hard to accept anything you say as feedback and not just you complaining.
    So nothing about scheduling then? Ok cool. 'Here's you complaining about something different'. Yeah nice one you got me there :) 'Here's you providing feedback on an event' Golly what a shockingly awful scallywag I am.
    Volrak said:

Sure.  Maybe this helps: The event's always been run with the Identity objective issue.  There have been (valid) questions about it, but there's never been a snarky "don't run this" before.  What's changed here?  
    What's changed is obvious, isn't it? We know for a fact the event is broken now.

It seems like some people agree with me, too!
    critman said:
    Volrak said:

Sure.  Maybe this helps: The event's always been run with the Identity objective issue.  There have been (valid) questions about it, but there's never been a snarky "don't run this" before.  What's changed here?  
    What's changed is obvious, isn't it? We know for a fact the event is broken now.

It seems like some people agree with me, too!
    Yes.  As you can probably see, it comes down to whether you treat it as a relationship (devs do X, player responds with Y) or a solo exercise (player perceives X, player responds with Y).  Both are valid viewpoints, but without the former there's something missing.

To get more on topic, I think the fix will make the easy-mode nature of the top node even more pronounced, as well as increasing the contrast with bottom node.  So I'm fine with another run of the current variant while it lasts.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 207 Tile Toppler
    Meh...Personally I think shteev has a point, that the devs know the event is bugged but are running it anyway, instead of substituting something else more stable, but I also think ambrosio is right in that there's very few alternatives for them to choose from. For me, I think that's just pathetic, that the best alternative we can come up with is, dead horse or not, (gasp) RotGP!
    Look, it seems to me that coding these events is apparently much harder than it looks. Partly I think it's because of the mess Hibernum left in the code that Oktagon's had to try and work through, and maybe it's also because of the way they've had to try and implement the cards themselves, with 3-4 new mechanics every set, and a new set every 3 months or so leaving little time for playtesting. Often, in paper Magic, there are unanticipated ways the cards interact with each other, requiring updates and rulings that give judges everywhere a headache. Expecting perfection out of a rather complex mobile phone game is probably expecting a bit too much, especially given the history here, I think.
    As a side note, I'm a rather average player who rarely has a perfect score, and so far I haven't had a problem making that objective which I guess is the point. I did lose once on the bottom node though, so...meh... :|
    TomB said:

Partly I think it's because of the mess Hibernum left in the code that Oktagon's had to try and work through.
    I wonder when this will stop being a valid excuse for the game being poorly maintained.
  • naabaldannaabaldan Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    the coding is already redesigned
    this indicated by:
    a lot of stuff can be updated anytime by pushing data, this include cards/pws and its behavior, the Shop content, etc.

Graphics, Animation and Interaction like Login, puchaises, etc. are developed on Client side based on the unity Plattform and can be updated only through a fix. this maybe the code that is still influenced by hibernum.

as for as i understand how events/matches work:
    on the Client side an engine is interpreting the cards and pws data and executes its Statements upon interaction. it is responsable for misbehaving permanents, wrong or missing interaction and such issues and can also only be updated by a fix. this technique ensures the ability to extend the game as much as possible allowing to add as many abilities as needed. this is very straight forward. errors in the engines coding my also lead to softlocks and app crashes.

but i do not see a mess here
    this looks well designed for me

it is not the coding or its Design but the testing. before a new update is released a high amount of testing should be done and this is something that it is not. 
    the pressure to release the next set in combination with raising money spoils our gaming experience. the next time you ask for the next set you may keep that in mind.

i do not have access to the code so everything writen here is an assumption based on the way i would implement such a complex game
  • ArielSiraArielSira Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    This objective is trivial at best with the double swaps and will be even easier next time. It doesn't need any fixing imo and putting the inbox message out was great too. Would rather have them change other events (hi Elderspark) than complain about this.