*****Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) *****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    This first day of Introducing Heimdall puzzles me - it is almost like the least optimal choice in terms of set-up was chosen to show off his power set! Heimdall needs buddies to shine but we get a solo that is a wave node?!?!?
    I thought the first day was meant to showcase his damage reduction and healing ability. Despite me playing slowly as I wanted to try the moves, I healed back all the damage. 
    I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first day, but now we’ve had 3 days where he’s had no teammates to showcase his yellow. Hopefully days 4 and 5 are better planned. 
    How’d that work out for you today ?
    Ha, like everyone already mentioned earlier, I think they failed day 4 also. Luckily his PvP is giving me some idea of how his yellow works. But I’m still hoping the final day of Introducing has him fully covered with teammates. 
    What I noticed in his PvAI, if his two teammates have their strongest colors as passive powers it’s useless and actually a liability as it removes them for one turn with no benefit . There’s a long list of teammates his yellow won’t support 
    Not quite.  You just need to have some use for the ap, whoever it is.  So bringing professor X is actually quite good, because the blue will fuel Heimdall, even if it is useless for X.  Bottom line is that like all "strongest color"-based powers/characters, it pays to keep the strongest color in mind when building teams and choosing opponents.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Valkyrie and MEH are his allies in the last day node. However, the enemies' levels are too low.  His Introducing... event is indeed a meh.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    At 1/1/1, the BRB/Shuri team isn't super effective in his release PVP. I wish we could have played around with wingpersons in his Introducing... event to better figure out his deal.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Valkyrie and MEH are his allies in the last day node. However, the enemies' levels are too low.  His Introducing... event is indeed a meh.
    I gathered a little red, then some blue, then fired blue and locked nothing but red tiles.  Valk took out everyone in one volley.  Potentially interesting, but then again, when will we ever face a level 90 Hela again?  #never
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    pheregas said:
    I gathered a little red, then some blue, then fired blue and locked nothing but red tiles. [...]
    I found myself balancing using Heimdall's blue to double up the ap gain from a match 3 (fortifying all 3 tiles, then matching it) vs leaving the fortifications in play for AP discounts. In the PVP, it's more useful to make the match and earn the AP since at 1/1/1 it takes 2:1 for fortification. 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    This first day of Introducing Heimdall puzzles me - it is almost like the least optimal choice in terms of set-up was chosen to show off his power set! Heimdall needs buddies to shine but we get a solo that is a wave node?!?!?
    I thought the first day was meant to showcase his damage reduction and healing ability. Despite me playing slowly as I wanted to try the moves, I healed back all the damage. 
    I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first day, but now we’ve had 3 days where he’s had no teammates to showcase his yellow. Hopefully days 4 and 5 are better planned. 
    How’d that work out for you today ?
    Ha, like everyone already mentioned earlier, I think they failed day 4 also. Luckily his PvP is giving me some idea of how his yellow works. But I’m still hoping the final day of Introducing has him fully covered with teammates. 
    What I noticed in his PvAI, if his two teammates have their strongest colors as passive powers it’s useless and actually a liability as it removes them for one turn with no benefit . There’s a long list of teammates his yellow won’t support 
    Not quite.  You just need to have some use for the ap, whoever it is.  So bringing professor X is actually quite good, because the blue will fuel Heimdall, even if it is useless for X.  Bottom line is that like all "strongest color"-based powers/characters, it pays to keep the strongest color in mind when building teams and choosing opponents.
    My understanding, and he can feel free to correct me, is that he mostly uses Hulkoye (like most other players). If you pair Heim as a third, you indeed waste the AP.  That’s probably where the comment is coming from. Gotta get more creative if you want to use Heim. It made me interested in 5* with no outlet for strongest colors (I say outlet because Sinister for example can use black passively to ward off damage, and Phoenix can use green if she dies/resurrects).

Hawkeye would require a third purple
    user, meta Hulk a green, and Killmonger/Okoye/Thanos would need black. 

Daredevil (yellow), Iceman (yellow), Professor (blue), trash Hulk (blue) and Yelena (red) would produce AP that Heimdall himself could use. 

• Vhailorx
    pheregas said:
    I gathered a little red, then some blue, then fired blue and locked nothing but red tiles. [...]
    I found myself balancing using Heimdall's blue to double up the ap gain from a match 3 (fortifying all 3 tiles, then matching it) vs leaving the fortifications in play for AP discounts. In the PVP, it's more useful to make the match and earn the AP since at 1/1/1 it takes 2:1 for fortification. 
    Huh, this sounds like a great way to clear out blue fr the board.  Each cast is self-sustaining if you fortify all 3 tiles in a blue match.  It also turned the power in a 1:1 ap arbitrage engine.  That sounds pretty useful.
  • Cannibalqueen
    Cannibalqueen Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    I am disappointed also that his PVP didn’t really show off his blue at its best,
    but I got enough of a feel for him so far to think he’s going to be a fun ‘puzzley’ character.
    much the same as I think of Onslaught/Prof X.
    i play for wins, so I end up using those two a lot in PVP, just for that aspect.

Also his yellow might not always work for useful AP gain, but it’s a nice safety net to have in pocket if enemy Thor should ever manage to get 12 green.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Vhailorx said:
    pheregas said:
    Huh, this sounds like a great way to clear out blue fr the board.  Each cast is self-sustaining if you fortify all 3 tiles in a blue match.  It also turned the power in a 1:1 ap arbitrage engine.  That sounds pretty useful.
    If you have Shuri in play, you can get even trickier (if you have the time). With 5 fortifications in place, her AP Tax/Discount comes into play, which reduces friendly powers by 3 while simultanously increasing enemy power cost by 3. Anytime you match a friendly fortification, she does some bonus damage, but she also removes an enemy special from within a fortification every time you fire off her red power actively. This is why I'm so intersested in testing out a "good" heimdall between BRB and Shuri - I think with heimdall's blue + Shuri's blue in play, you will basically have all your powers down to single-match-to-fire status way quicker than you might expect, but you can also use Heimdall's blue followed by Shuri's red to encapsulate a tricky enemy tile you want to remove from the board actively, then remove it. I think it'll be an offense only team most likely, but i think it will give you a lot of technical options for matches you may not be able to brute force otherwise. Or not; guess we'll have to see.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2020
    Also Shuri's blue reduces Heimdall's blue down to 3, he just can't reduce his own cost on blue. I tested that in his PVP
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think I'd like him 4/5/4.
  • Vhailorx
    edited September 2020
    Anon said:
    I think I'd like him 4/5/4.
    I was wondering about that build when he was announced.  4 seems like the breaking p punt for both blue and yellow.  I guess the question is just how much you will have Heimdall tanking, which would make his blue healing more valuable.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Heimdall looks like my perfect replacement for G4mora that I used in a team previously (IM40, G4mora, Shuri) in SCL 10 pick-3. 5/5/3 for me since I'm going to use him as a tank and those increased true heal will be a great help.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this is probably the first 5 char in a while really worth getting, and it is of course because of his blue. Powers like this one are extremely rare and I am sure at some point it will be "exploited" in some very bonkers/op combination.
    supergarv said:
    The fourth node of his event is also a total failure.

Who designed his event? It makes me
    mad. You should encourage players wanting a character, and showcase his strengths. You are castrating him on a solo team and with spamming enemies. We can‘t even see his yellow power after 4 days of the event!

I cannot believe how this passes getting released. Thinking of a useful team and enemies would take any player here maybe 10 minutes. This is offendingly bad.

phew. Needed to get this out of my system.

They should rename the event to „Introducing.... Heimdull“.
    I also wanted to point this out. That node was AWFUL. It was a pain to play. In may case to make things worse one protect tile ended up in an almost impossible position to match, and it ended up being a 1000 protect tile, negating all my match damage and dragging the fight a LOT.

It really looks like Devs forget sometimes that A GAME MUST BE FUN to be worth playing... 

• MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Polares said:
    I think this is probably the first 5 char in a while really worth getting, and it is of course because of his blue. Powers like this one are extremely rare and I am sure at some point it will be "exploited" in some very bonkers/op combination.
    I agree but there is no need to level him any higher than 451.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    The best thing I can say about Heimdall is he won’t be useless in PVE when he is essential.  He will be a good 3rd with Apocalypse/Thor combo lowering the cost of Apocalypse red and black and being a meat shield.  He won’t be meta in PVP and in PVE there are still faster meta combos.  

Can someone make a combo they like and have fun with him sure I just think he is lower on the 5* food chain of characters
  • Vhailorx
    Polares said:
    I agree but there is no need to level him any higher than 451.

I am not sure I agree with this.  Heimdall is a true healer, and the first 5* true healer in a while.  given the way health and match damage power creep have been going, heimdall is actually the first character in quite a while with a reasonable chance to tank for many modern 5*s (at least for those of us who don't have level 500+ okoyes).  So getting tons of champ levels on him seems like a perfectly viable strategy if you want someone to tank for characters like BRB or apoc.
  • Vhailorx
    Polares said:

I certainly agree that Heimdall is likely to have some value at some point in the future when someone discovers the perfect way to leverage his blue.  So I am planning to try to get him champed myself.  But I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say he is the first desirable 5* "in a while"  Apoc only just left the LT pool a couple of weeks ago, and he is definitely meta relevant.  So it's just 3 characters in between that may not be 'worthwhile,' though ymmv (Onslaught, KM, and ODM).
    Overall, I would say that the character design team has been more or less on point for the past year or more.  not every character (4* or 5*) has been great, but very few have been truly terrible, and there have been several standouts (Karnak, polaris, legion, even modok, black cat, and hellcat are all solid or better 4*s, and BRB, IH, apoc, and now maybe heimdall are all meta or very interesting, and several other new 5*s are niche useful or better, like yelena or KM).  the frequency of the 5* releases has gone up, but I think the 'replacement level' for an average 5* (MPQ's Value-over-replacement-5* [VOR5*]) has also gone way up. That hurts people with older 5* benches, but is good for new transitioners.
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    In the his PVP, I like using him with Black Cat and Vulture using his yellow ability. This let Vulture doing his AP generating stuffs and Black Cat stunning her enemies even more frequently.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I tried running Hawkeye/Main Event to see if I could find some type of synergy there that would allow Gamma Powerbomb to shine, but the 1/1/1 Heimdall didn't really help speed things up. My thinking was:

Hawkeye has purple as his strongest color, so using Heimdall's yellow will help you there. Hawkeye earns a ton of red and blue as CDs expire, so Hawkeye's red should be able to earn you blue for Heimdall to make things cheaper on Yellow and Purple.

Main Event's Gamma Powerbomb is a nightmare factory if you can ever come up with the purple. On yellow, he can put out 5x fortified yellow CDs, which once out, should make things a lot easier for Heimdall. The problem with it is just getting it all moving, since everything Hulk does costs 12-14ap.

Best I can figure is using Hawkeye's red to kickstart Heimdall's blue, then put that on yellow, and ideally start throwing things around? I don't know, there was the inkling of some synergy there for a second but it wasn't a slam dunk.