*****Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) *****

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    This first day of Introducing Heimdall puzzles me - it is almost like the least optimal choice in terms of set-up was chosen to show off his power set! Heimdall needs buddies to shine but we get a solo that is a wave node?!?!?
    The events are all cut-and-paste.  Customization is too much work.  Hence we get riri/Bobbi/decoy in every welcome to shield etc. 
    I guess so - a shame though.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    This first day of Introducing Heimdall puzzles me - it is almost like the least optimal choice in terms of set-up was chosen to show off his power set! Heimdall needs buddies to shine but we get a solo that is a wave node?!?!?
    The events are all cut-and-paste.  Customization is too much work.  Hence we get riri/Bobbi/decoy in every welcome to shield etc. 
    I agree with this generally, except for Introducing. This is the event that does change every time based on who they’re Introducing and what part of the story they’re telling on that node. In the first node it’s “protect Asgard from all threats”... so they went with a wave node with different non-tile movers. But I agree it doesn’t highlight his other powers very well. That’s what the next 4 days will show. 

Based on the artwork, I’m expecting to battle Loki tomorrow and maybe Hela on Day 5. I’m sure he’ll team up with Thor on some of the nodes also. 

• Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Got lucky on a 10 pack in the HP store & got his yellow. Can confirm that is strongest AP for each ally when they land. Did it with JJ & Anti Venom on the loaner node in Venom Bomb & got 2 red & 2 Black when they came down.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    When did they change the odds of getting the 5* from the store?  It's been bumped up a bit to make it harder to get a 5*.  Single pull is 1:267 and 10 or 40 pull is 1:181.  It used to be 250 and 166.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I hope it's a mistake. Changing the rate from an already measly .4%/.6% to .37%/.55% seems really petty.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    MrPlow said:
    When did they change the odds of getting the 5* from the store? 
    Well spotted. I think it’s the first time the store is giving those odds. Maybe a mistake, maybe they’re trying out the new odds.
    Even if it is a mistake, things that negatively impact the player base don't feel like errors anymore.  Faster (5*) releases! Lower resources! Lower acquisition rates!

It feels darn right targeted.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree... I'm normally not onboard on the negativity train, but to "accidentally" change the percentages seems a lot harder than just a little typo.  It'd be one thing to move a decimal point -- it's another thing entirely to change the raw percentage rate by such incremental amounts.

My only question is ... why?!  Were TOO many people getting a lucky 5* pull?!  I mean -- how much HP was spent on these 5* release stores versus the amount of 5*s actually pulled to make someone say "oh no -- they're getting too much value from us!"

When the percentages were as low as they were, it's hard for me to believe that 5* acquisition rates were *so high* that this was justified.  At best, I could see maybe that the first HP/5* store had people busting HP hoards that they weren't doing anything with at the time.  So, less money made because those players already had a pile they were sitting on.  But for each 5* after?  People would have to either re-buy their stocks up, or use what they hoarded again... which wouldn't be much between 5* releases in this schedule.  A few weeks of HP acquisition do NOT guarantee a 5* cover from these stores.

That said, this affects me very little.  I usually buy the daily single discounted cover from these 5* stores, much like buying a scratch-off lottery ticket -- just crossing my fingers and hoping.  I've gotten a 5* ONCE, and that was Yelena.  This just puts the odds down a bit more, which kinda dampens ones hopes.  

This is one of those times that I'd love to be within the business side of the game to see what drove this decision (obviously, money, but ...you know what I mean... what number on what spreadsheet told them that these acquisition rates needed to be lowered by THAT amount).  

Then again, I always wanted to work for a game company.  :)
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

If you play S1, you do!  LOL
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    since they have gone to the ratio display, rather than the good old days with decimalized information, there has been a lot less precision in their reporting of odds (something that I have spent years complaining about to d3 and demi because it creates some edge cases that are borderline deceptive).  So I suppose its possible that the they have adjusted the 5* odds in these heroics to reflect some change to the 4* pool (e.g., now that there are 100+ 4*s, maybe it makes sense to fiddle with the 3*:4* odds and that has a slight knock-on effect on the 5*. 
    Otherwise, making such a tiny change to the 5* odds seems likely to create a lot of bad press without making a big difference on cover distribution rates (how many people actually get 5*s from these tokens anyway?)
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Options
    pheregas said:
    PiMacleod said:

If you play S1, you do!  LOL
    I hate that you're actually pretty accurate with that statement...

...I play S1.

I MEANT ON THE PAYROLL... WITH INPUT INTO THE GAME, OR WHATEVER.  sigh.  

i know you know what i meant.  It's just working at an insurance company is SOOOO not even close to achieving dreams like this.  ....one day, maybe...  you know, if the planets aligned.

I guess this is also another reason why I selected "Yes" to the "Can we call you" question.  :)
  • Xception81
    Options
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I thought the first day was meant to showcase his damage reduction and healing ability. Despite me playing slowly as I wanted to try the moves, I healed back all the damage. 
    I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first day, but now we’ve had 3 days where he’s had no teammates to showcase his yellow. Hopefully days 4 and 5 are better planned. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It speaks volumes about a new character when (almost) all of the damage I’ve done in its intro event subs has been from match damage. 

How very exciting! Way to absolutely ruin Heimdall... 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,629 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I thought the first day was meant to showcase his damage reduction and healing ability. Despite me playing slowly as I wanted to try the moves, I healed back all the damage. 
    Good news, we get to do this again day 4! Lol! Poor old Nobby No Mates Heimdall!
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2020
    Options
    The fourth node of his event is also a total failure.

Who designed his event? It makes me
    mad. You should encourage players wanting a character, and showcase his strengths. You are castrating him on a solo team and with spamming enemies. We can‘t even see his yellow power after 4 days of the event!

I cannot believe how this passes getting released. Thinking of a useful team and enemies would take any player here maybe 10 minutes. This is offendingly bad.

phew. Needed to get this out of my system.

They should rename the event to „Introducing.... Heimdull“.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Good news, we get to do this again day 4! Lol! Poor old Nobby No Mates Heimdall!
    Well, I am annoyed now. What a poor design of the nodes for Heimdall. They didn’t even need to create special teams. Just let us use other team members. 
    Sigh. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Four days of solo fights. :(  Doesn't Heimdall have any friends to team up with? Like Thor? 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Agreed. It was interesting to see him work alone, checking out his DR/healing. Even if there is a node featuring him tomorrow with teammates, someone like this you want to have an early node featuring teammates.

I get it, you want a theme of him standing without other heroes in the intro event, but as with balancing characters as opposed to releasing them in their OP iterations, devs should know when the theme works against mechanics. Give us a chance to play around with teams for the majority of the event, please.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    I was giving them the benefit of the doubt on the first day, but now we’ve had 3 days where he’s had no teammates to showcase his yellow. Hopefully days 4 and 5 are better planned. 
    How’d that work out for you today ?
  • Xception81
    Options
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Ha, like everyone already mentioned earlier, I think they failed day 4 also. Luckily his PvP is giving me some idea of how his yellow works. But I’m still hoping the final day of Introducing has him fully covered with teammates. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    atomzed said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Ha, like everyone already mentioned earlier, I think they failed day 4 also. Luckily his PvP is giving me some idea of how his yellow works. But I’m still hoping the final day of Introducing has him fully covered with teammates. 
    What I noticed in his PvAI, if his two teammates have their strongest colors as passive powers it’s useless and actually a liability as it removes them for one turn with no benefit . There’s a long list of teammates his yellow won’t support