*****Heimdall (The Gatekeeper) *****

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    I like the detail that Hofund's power is tied to the colours of the rainbow (bridge). Nicely done, devs!
    Umm, can't this same statement be made about every character in the game that doesn't have a black power?  Pretty sure purple/pink and green are both in a rainbow.
    Also, speaking of power creep, compare his red to JJ's black.  It's just better: less ap, higher contingency damage, and a cheaper support power to produce the contingent condition.  Plus more health and more match damage (his third strong color is higher than JJ's strongest color at equal levels). and JJ is a well regarded 5* generally classified as right behind the meta for most of her lifespan. It's getting pretty ridiculous. 
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:
    I like the detail that Hofund's power is tied to the colours of the rainbow (bridge). Nicely done, devs!
    Umm, can't this same statement be made about every character in the game that doesn't have a black power?  Pretty sure purple/pink and green are both in a rainbow.

Well, yes, of course the 6 tile colors in the game aren't the same 7 as a rainbow's ROYGBIV. How I read it (and assume he meant the same) is that each color of a fortified tile on the board increases his red ability's power -- like he's drawing more power from every color of the rainbow bridge, even though it's not a scientifically-accurate 7-color rainbow, but this game's demented 6-color rainbow  :D
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    I like the look of Heimdall, and his Shuri-like powers. He'll be a terror with BRB/Polaris i suspect. 

I'm not sure I agree with that assessment re: polaris.  her strength is lots of passive damage procs and flooding the board with specials.  But her tiles by themselves are fairly puny by 5* standards, so she more or less needs a damage booster (kitty, okoye, or Apoc) to really play in 5* land.  Additionally, heimdall doesn't really leverage special tiles or passive damage ticks at all; his strengths are various ap shenanigans to improve active powers, and tanking damage.  plus, polaris and heimdall will always be fighting for blue ap.
    *I think apoc might be a good fit with him (although they do overlap on 2 colors).  Apoc is really good, and even better if his powers cost 6 or less, plus heimdall tanks 2 colors for him, making the team quite survivable.  Add a good blue and/or red battery as the third wheel and this team looks quite strong. 
    *HE might also be an interesting pairing, as he will passively fortify tiles that will make powers cheaper to keep the train rolling.
    *Okoye + IH might be also be a good match.  Both can true heal on different colors (so they won't fight for ap), and IH's red is even scarier at 3ap.  Add in okoye-boosting and IH's passive AOE and this team will really really hurt.
    The big draw of Polaris + BRB is that she floods a board with protects faster than he can, and without taking damage. With BrB you don’t actually care what the strength of the protects is, just that destroying them provides a free green and blue AP as a battery. His blue is already dirt cheap, and add that to an AP Coupon like Heimdall (or shuri or 4* Lord or N4tasha), and you can really wreak some havoc. Now imagine you have targeted fortification, so you fortify a blue match-3 containing 3 protects. Now you get 6ap from the match itself (fortifications accrue AP twice if they all get matched away), then you get 3x green and 3x blue from breaking the shield. THEN Polaris turns that into 9x more protect tiles. On top of that, BrB’s blue comes out fortified, so it gets cheaper every time you fire it. It’ll be wild quick.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    I'm still trying to figure out how Heimdall ties into the "Ramblin' Man" clue.

Oh yeah, character seems cool enough, I suppose.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited September 2020
    Very cool design. Sounds like fun to get the most out of his alles strongest colors, and with the AP cost reductions.

I think a fun 5* team experiment could be with Iceman & goblin. Automatic fortification of ice's repeaters & cd's will earn various power cost reductions, and then likely add a bunch to Heildall's red damage.
    Iceman auto-spends blue, but the following turn should get Heimdall's own blue reduced to 3 perhaps. 
    EDIT: Ah shoot, sounds like blue will not be reduced. 

Active ability rainbow. 

(Mostly looking forward to lucky blue cascades when paired with Thorpocalypse) 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Heimdall doesn’t seem to self reduce unfortunately
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor

When’s the last time anyone has come close to a correct guess based on the clue ? I don’t bother it just makes my brain hurt .
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Another 5-star true healer is always welcome.  If nothing else, the ability to save health packs make him worth it. 

And an interesting power set that looks fun and will make others characters more fun/powerful (very okoye-esque in that regard).

Looks pretty effective, very fun.  Maybe even very effective,  very fun. Will see. 
  • Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Heimdall doesn’t seem to self reduce unfortunately
    Wondered about that, too. The way it's worded, it might still reduce his red & yellow, but not his blue. It says "other friendly powers" not "allies powers" so hard to tell without confirmation or seeing it in the wild.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Is this early as a release? Or has it already been 2 weeks since Polaris? Every day is Monday here in coronoageddon...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is this early as a release? Or has it already been 2 weeks since Polaris? Every day is Monday here in coronoageddon...
    This is on time.  It also feels like time is lagging with Labor Day.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    I felt like there MUST be some airborne play coming into 5star land, otherwise, why would they have "reworked" Archangel?

Looking forward to taking AA for a spin where he'll actually do something good :smile:
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    This feels like a really fun character if you have any amount of time to actually play and build the board. I'm finding it difficult to get long matches out of PvP lately with all the iHulk and now Polaris teams.
    Are there any boosters that boost health regen powers? No, right?
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    Is it really ‘on time’?  For a 454545 release schedule yes, but it looked like we might have been going back to 5445.  The fact it’s a 5 and not a 4 being released is a major bummer.  It’s too fast of a release schedule for me.
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor

One of the definitions of ramble is about traveling from place to place .  Heimdall has the power to send him self or his allies any where in the universe. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Karolina Dean can increase healing by 35% at 5 cover, regardless of whether it's true healing or burst healing. One of the use of sending allies airborne is that he brings them out of long-turn stun. Since Bishop/CapWorthy has been nerfed, I'm not sure if it's still useful for 5* players.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    This is going to be a modification of my IM40, Shuri, and Mysterio team from the past.

With IM40, you'll gain 12 red, 12 blue, 9 green and 3 purple ap.

Fire Heimdall's blue power twice. You'll have 6 fortify tiles. Now, you can fire Shuri's red power 4 times, which give you 20-24 fortified tiles and another 6 from Heimdall.

You can now stun all three opponents (if you're lucky) for up to 3 turns because her green power will cost only 3ap. If you have Shuri's Support, you can gain 1 ap for each colour every turn in PvEs if you meet the condition. Repeat the above but use Heimdall's red power instead. If things go wrong, you can always use Shuri to stun the opponent.

Magik could work too if you can keep on spamming abilities and special tiles.

I think Vulture works better than IM40 because of the airborne shenanigans on his Yellow (plus his own Black power). Vulture will give Green/Blue for Shuri/Heimdall to use plus with the reduction of his own Airborne power down to 3 AP it will mean keeping Vulture perpetually airborne will be automatic since he generates 4 from his own Black.
    You should be able to get a winfinite stun team going quite easily if you boost 3 black.
    KGB
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    i think Vulture is better if you are looking for some sort of guaranteed ap over time without fear of interruption, while IM40 is better for giving large boost for long-turn game. For long turn game, IM40 could be better because with 6 yellow ap (after reduction), you can put down up to 6 cds, and you get 24 green, 24 red, 18 green. By then, the opponent team will be on a guranteed stun lock for the rest of their life, unless they are immuned to stun, and all non-tu tiles will be fortified. This team will mainly for PvEs.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like his character set.  After chasing Apoc before he left (one cover away from champing) I have 23 CP and no tokens.  It is probably time for me to hoard.  I am fine missing out on champing Onslaught, KM and OMD (just get the one cover of each) and saving for Heimdall and the next two.