***** Wolverine (Samurai Daken) *****

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was scratching my head at first at this Wolverine until Bluewolf's confirmation that this guy is made up. That does sort of raise the question of how were we ever supposed to get the clue! Now that I know he is made up I can sort of see what happened in the Devs meeting here - it's exactly what used to happen when 9 year old me played the Marvel Role Playing Game - if I am making up a new character they are having ALL the powers!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is a very cool/interesting kit that is unfortunately marred by bad numbers (with the exception of match damage). 

- Healing starts low and recovers too little. 
    - Ability costs are too high to keep up with the passive meta.
    - Damage is too low. 
    - Repeaters are too long. 
    - Special tile reduction is minimal.

Such a waste of a well-designed kit. I hope I’m wrong/being too hard on him, because he seems like the kind of character I’d like. For those hoarding until the next great 5, they can probably skip him. 
    I completely agree with this. His kit is very interesting, he does a lot of things and it could even counter/power up some of the existing metas, but then you look at the number and he falls flat in every single one of the things he does (except being a red battery).

I also think even though he seems pretty interesting those number will mean that he will be completely forgotten after his release :(
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I think he has a really interesting potential. And he can shine as a supporting role. Apart of her partnership with Ihulk as I said there is another one a lot more popular. 
    He is a mutant and can develop a lot of sinergy with apocalypse. With him around apocalypse will say goodbye to destroying protects, but he will say hello to red nukes ignoring protect. And with his yellow without destroying, protect will flood the board along with the purple repeaters.
    Those repeaters can be devastating with apoc around indeed.
    Even more without being limited. 
    And he auto atacks too, improved by strike tiles or yellow apoc.
    So strategically he is great. I think its a good work. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I keep looking at that picture of him (first one) and am sort of struggling to understand exactly how he uses the claws at the same time as the sword if he needs two hands to fight with the sword? I guess I am talking about a time travelling Mutant with a magic sword, so making sense is the least of the issues here.

It's like the 'guard' on kylo ren's lightsaber; best not to think about it too hard. . .
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I really wish this would have been a real comic character, or at least a version of the real Wolvie at 5* that isn’t trash tier. 

Anyway, he looks interesting and I feel like he might be better than he looks on paper. So at least he isn’t trash tier. Overall the 5* releases have been stronger as of late.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,618 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm back again. Sorry Forum.
    When Akihiro murdered Wolverine with the Muramasa Blade, its mystical powers sent him back in time to feudal Japan as punishment

So the Muramasa Blade doesn't want people to use it to kill anybody, especially people with healing factors? In fact it actually punishes people who use it for its intended purpose! However Daken then completely ignores its mystical advice to stop using it and that makes him a hero! None ofthat makes any sense whatsoever. I think I might have worked out what is going on here - Daken is completely stoned on that Heat drug isn't he? "Woo look at me, I'm a Samurai, honest!" - time to book in another session with Moonstone, Daken.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    DAZ0273 said:
    I'm back again. Sorry Forum.
    When Akihiro murdered Wolverine with the Muramasa Blade, its mystical powers sent him back in time to feudal Japan as punishment

So the Muramasa Blade doesn't want people to use it to kill anybody, especially people with healing factors? In fact it actually punishes people who use it for its intended purpose! However Daken then completely ignores its mystical advice to stop using it and that makes him a hero! None ofthat makes any sense whatsoever. I think I might have worked out what is going on here - Daken is completely stoned on that Heat drug isn't he? "Woo look at me, I'm a Samurai, honest!" - time to book in another session with Moonstone, Daken.

I'm fine with Daken getting a sword with the express purpose of killing his father, and as such, a magical sword is the only one that'll do.

I'm fine with the sword showing some sort of sentience and sending the user back in time, as a sort-of penance.  To right his wrongs, and learn the way of Bushido and whatever.

I'll swallow those pills....

HOWEVER... you tellin' me that DAKEN got his hands on THAT sword?!  I mean, he's not exactly a treasure hunter, a tactician, a strategist, a... whatever!  He's a glorified thug with daddy and drug issues!  How in the tinykitty did HE get HIS HANDS on such a powerful artifact?!  I mean, wouldn't Dr Strange have tabs on that?  Or, I dunno -- someone in that family's line that owned that sword?  

I'd be interested to know how he got it.  I'm not sayin' it's not possible -- after all, how Cain Marko got his [artifact] is an actual story... but still, at this time period, you'd think all artifacts would be watched over with extreme scrutiny.

...hmm... on second thought... maybe I don't wanna know.  If all artifacts are held and scrutinized, there'd be less of "those" types of origin stories in the future, since they'd all be watched by powerful people.  I'd hate to ruin potential character origin stories just because the currently Marvel universe has so many watchful eyes.
  • Rhipf
    Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Only real question I have about this character is with all the real characters out there to choose from why create a new character just for this game? It would really be nice to be a fly on the wall for the production meeting where that was discussed.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Rhipf said:
    Only real question I have about this character is with all the real characters out there to choose from why create a new character just for this game? It would really be nice to be a fly on the wall for the production meeting where that was discussed.
    A VERY fair question.

My ONLY guess is maybe they have actual plans for other (more popular) characters, due to upcoming MCU and comic book timelines...?  It's very hypothetical, but if they have plans for Silver Samurai because of something coming up in a movie down the road, they probably won't spill it now.

If that's the case, then outside of the very horrible Xmen Origins Wolverine movie, I need to know where they're implementing the Blob, because I've been waiting!   :smiley:
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My guess is because of the virus they had to improvise. But look at that! Great arts! Cool tatoo! (It seems improved) Nice hairstyle! Nice muscled back! The kid looks rehabilitated  and a whole ronin.
    Now they could take characters from the what if? series. Frost thor, avenger thanos...for we could have a complete mix.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Hard to say how much I like him or not, be interesting to try him out. No single power dishes out insane damage, but between the black and red seems like consistent damage that will add up fairly quickly, especially once quite a few strike tiles are out. 

Black might be underwhelming if no matter how many repeaters are on the board, the max damage is simply 6152 and with 4 special tiles required to deal the damage.

Don't love the green passive, easy to find yourself with green starved, especially if the other player is chasing that color and or trying to deny you of it. I can see many times hoping to get his heal off but not having the green AP to do so. Especially if using this green ability or another characters green, being a color where many characters have some great abilities you want to use. I wish the heal was not dependent on having the 4 green AP. 

He seems overly niche to me, which some don't mind. Most players have characters with abilities you'd probably rather use than his. But when you face teams that benefit from abusing his red, he would seem to be a decent 3rd wheel. 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

HOWEVER... you tellin' me that DAKEN got his hands on THAT sword?!  I mean, he's not exactly a treasure hunter, a tactician, a strategist, a... whatever!  He's a glorified thug with daddy and drug issues!  How in the tinykitty did HE get HIS HANDS on such a powerful artifact?!  I mean, wouldn't Dr Strange have tabs on that?  Or, I dunno -- someone in that family's line that owned that sword?  
    It's not the first time. In the Wolverine: Origins comics Daken actually ended up with part of the blade fused to his claws.

Also worth noting that it's *A* Muramasa sword, not "The" Muramasa sword. In Marvel, the swordsmith is immortal, and Logan trained with him and got his own blade (the red one) forged during his time in Japan. So it's not the exact same as the real-world equivalent that's on display in the Tokyo National Museum.
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    What do his purple repeater tiles actually do?  Am I missing something in the power description?  Do they proc the stated damage for his black passive?
    If he reduces ih's permanent health to zero what happens?
    They repeat.  
  • Rosraf
    Options
    I would also like to know what the purple repeaters do other than exist?
    They repeat.  
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the Twitch livestream, Marvel did mention wanting MPQ to create new characters, like what they did with Peggy Carter. I didn't expect it to be that fast.
  • Rosraf
    Options
    In the Twitch livestream, Marvel did mention wanting MPQ to create new characters, like what they did with Peggy Carter. I didn't expect it to be that fast.
    Marvel is going to do MPQ creative team dirty if they actually happen to hit a good/popular character idea.  
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 221 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wonder what happens when he uses green on iHulk. Also, is it only Daken’s repeaters that don’t count toward the damage aspect of the black passive? Does Apoc trigger him with Apoc’s repeaters, or only after the protects start dropping?