Narset of the Ancient Way: Official Thread

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2020 in Planeswalker Details

manabluepngmanagreenpng NARSET OF THE ANCIENT WAY managreenpngmanabluepng
(At Level 60)
+3 manawhitepng | +3 manabluepng | -1 manablackpng | +3 manaredpng | -1 managreenpng 
122 HP
Creatures: 5 | Supports: 6 | Spells: 8

"Seeking to find enlightenment, Narset planeswalked to Ikoria to commune with the ancient and wild power of that land."

Abilities

Jeskai Teachings - Cost 6

Level 1: Gain 4 life.

Level 2: Gain 4 life. Activate 2: Convert 2 gems to your Planeswalker's colors.

Level 3: Gain 4 life. Activate 2: Convert 2 gems to your Planeswalker's colors. Companion - The Activate convert 3 gems instead.

Level 4: Gain 6 life. Activate 2: Convert 2 gems to your Planeswalker's colors. Companion - The Activate convert 3 gems instead.

Mind Detachment - Cost 12

Level 1: Discard a card, then draw 2 cards.

Level 2: Discard a card, then draw 2 cards. Then, if the discarded card is a spell, deal X damage to target opposing creature. X is the base cost of the discarded card.

Level 3: Discard a card, then draw 2 cards. Then, if the discarded card is a spell, deal X damage to target opposing creature. If it is a support, gain X mana. X is the base cost of the discarded card.

Level 4: Discard a card, then draw 3 cards. Then, if the discarded card is a spell, deal X damage to target opposing creature. If it is a support, gain X mana. X is the base cost of the discarded card.

Ancient Way - Cost 24

Level 1: Create a Minor Ancient Way token. Draw 3 cards.

Level 2: Create an Ancient Way Token. Draw 3 cards.

Level 3: Create a Greater Ancient Way token. Draw 3 cards.

Level 4: Create a Greater Ancient Way token. Draw 3 cards. Then, noncreature cards in your hand gain 2 mana.

Tokens

Minor Ancient Way

(White/Blue/Red) Support Card (4) Token

"When you cast a noncreature card: Deal 4 damage to any opposing target. This effect can trigger up to 4 time(s) per turn."

Ancient Way

"When you cast or Cycle a noncreature card: Deal 4 damage to any opposing target. This effect can trigger up to 4 time(s) per turn."

Greater Ancient Way

"When you cast or Cycle a noncreature card: Deal 4 damage to any opposing target. This effect can trigger up to 4 time(s) per turn.

When you draw a card without Cycling: That cards gains Cycling 4."

Comments

• Nyarlathotep
    Nyarlathotep Posts: 92 Match Maker
    @Octagon_Support
    Hey there. 
    First if all, thanks you for providing the data that early!

I just came here to see what the companion restrictions for Narset's first ability are like and saw that there seems to be a tiny error in here.

I think this thread shows the second ability twice, but with different names, or something like that. 

• cmander7688
    cmander7688 Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2020
    Bump. I assume it hasn't been fixed because not many people bought her, but nyarlathotep is correct. The description for the 1st ability is just a copy/paste of the 2nd ability. 

For those who want to know what it actually is...

Jeskai Teachings
    Gain 6 life. Activate 3. Convert 2 gems to your PW colors. Companion: The Activate converts 3 gems instead.

The Companion requirement is "your starting deck contains 2 or fewer creature cards"

• BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    I have to complain about Narset. Her mana gains are terrible. When her first ability is used, she will activate green and black gems. This is counter intuitive since she is red, white, and blue ('Merica!).

Furthermore, her 3rd ability costs 24 loyalty. Ancient Way would be much more usable at 18. As it is, building up 24 loyalty for her somewhat mediocre ult does not flow smoothly.
  • raz
    raz Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    There used to be a site where you could determine how much it costs to level up Planeswalkers. I can't find it, but Narset at least reasonable? I got burned with Ugin.
  • cmander7688
    cmander7688 Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    raz said:
    There used to be a site where you could determine how much it costs to level up Planeswalkers. I can't find it, but Narset at least reasonable? I got burned with Ugin.
    don't know the actual number off the top of my head but I think it was the same cost as the other 3-color PWs.  
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @raz - I think you are referring to this page https://wiki.mtgpq.info/wiki/Level
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2020
    I have to complain about Narset. Her mana gains are terrible.
    Gonna hafta disagree there. Having a max of +3 in your colors is pretty traditional for 3-color PWs, and while she's no Brokhan, her 2nd ability does a LOT to offset those weak mana gains. Throw Starfield and a few other expensive supports into her deck (I've been using Kiora Bests the Sea God and Pyromancer's Goggles but there's plenty of expensive-but-excellent Vanguards as well), discard one of the non-Starfield ones to pay for a Starfield, and then you can just start tossing out huge supports for huge mana gains and have Starfield bring them back for free the next turn. You'll be using her 2nd ability so much you won't even mind how expensive her 3rd is.
  • HomeRn
    HomeRn Posts: 328 Mover and Shaker
    Currently have a deck that is rocking an interesting synergy regarding a few shop exclusive cards (for the time being), when combined with other mechanics, can spiral out of control in very short order!

Creatures (2):
    Anje Falkenrath (M)
    Anje's Ravager (R)

Spells (4):
    Staggering Insight (U)
    Escape Velocity (C)
    Sweet Oblivion (U)
    Sentinel's Eyes (C)

Supports (2):
    Song of Creation (M)
    Underworld Breach (M)

Vanguards (2):
    Ashiok, Sculptor of Fears (R)
    Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis (R)

This deck's goal is simple: get Anje and her fellow Ravager out as promptly as possible, then let the "madness" commence!  This deck is loaded with discard effects - just like Narset - in addition to cards with buried/escape mechanic.

Anje Falkenrath is the main damage dealer and can easily explode in power through the numerous discard effects available.  The Ravager helps Anje explode in power before Anje attacks due to bravery and helps cycle through the deck for explosive results both through madness mana gains and from graveyard gems being spawned constantly!

Support wise, Song of Creation really helps speed the deck up.  All the discarded cards can help with Anje's power spikes, while the cards that are actually played helps cascade into powerful turns.  Underworld Breach can help with certain cards get back out of the graveyard just in case of removal.  Ashiok helps with additional card draw (and triggering Song of Creation on command), graveyard gem creation, and potentially bringing back Anje if needed.  Elspeth on the other hand focuses on creating tokens, buffing everyone, then coming back for more with all of the graveyard gems being introduced.

Spells are actually rather focused on buffing for the most part.  Escape Velocity can give the Ravager haste, Sentinel's Eyes can turn a big attacker into a wall, while Staggering Insight gives additional card draw for cycling purposes and lifelink to sustain.  Sweet Oblivion can help with either spawning in lots of graveyard gems OR disrupting Greg's plans.