The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,212 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 31
    Broke shield and pushed up to 900 with minimal drama, so that was good. I did fight a team with GE Doom at that mega-boost 550 level just to see what that was like - he 1-shotted my full health GRRR on turn 2, so I retreated lol. the Nico was level 290, LT was good for
    Professor X: Blue (2cp)

currently at 19cp

I haven't entered Venom Bomb - I don't really care about Namor as a playable character, but since I'm not planning to move my BH off of CHavez to chase him I feel like I should make a real attempt at placement to get a few covers for him. I kind of like SCL8 for release events, since most people seem to either go up to 9 for the increased placement spread, or drop down to 7 for the easy-mode clears. Not sure what to do there yet.

I also leveled JJ up to lvl 300, i ran out of Iso or I'd have gone to 345. She can go as high as 375, I'm not sure I want to do that yet. I have Okoye at 300, and she can also go as high as 375. I feel like GR:RR, Okoye, and JJ would be a strong team if GR didn't take till he died...
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,322 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was able to push up to 800pts in First Avenger with GRRR, baby champ Cap, and Main Event (boosted) before I ran out of health. I decided to pop a 3hr shield, and i'll go back in this afternoon and try to push the rest of the way. I guess it was just She-Hulk that made the other one excessively hard? I find that Main Event is a decent counter to Kitty teams if Grand Entrance is maxed out. As often as not, maybe a little more often than not, it'll blast out 3-4 of the strikes and keep her from being able to boost them, and occasionally it'll actually create a few match-5 cascades such that it actually killed the 3* cap before they even got a turn. I actually kind of enjoy the swap-4 chaos, it plays well with Hell Ride to keep those tiles fresh when they burn to the bottom of the board. I'm considering messing around with a 3/5/5 GR build to see how useful Chain Whip becomes - many times enemies have just quietly killed themselves in the background when i have that out, and that's at 3 covers.
    Yeah, MEHulk is definitely a problem for Kitty. A couple of times when hitting those teams, I've ended up below the Phase and Conquer threshold just from the Grand Entrance cascade. Not to mention that his purple can come close to one-shotting Kitty if they manage to build up the AP for it.
    I've 1-shotted several 5*s with a boosted Main Event - there was even a time on that previous climb where I 1-shotted the target and cleaned up the next character in line with the critical damage.

There seem to be 2 kinds of people on the forum: people who understand Main Event is a nightmare factory (particularly when boosted, or with a free-power-firer like Mockingbird), and people that think he costs too much and are missing out lol.
    I haven't actually used him since I had leveled/champed 5* damage available. With only 4* partners to take advantage of the crits, I peaked at something like 40-45K, which isn't enough. With a 5* on board, yeah, that would totally one-shot someone.
    Decided to start venom bomb at scl9. A little tough, not sure I’ll try that hard to place for more Namors. Got up to 26cp

Chavez: green (lvl 289)
    edited February 1
    I haven't actually used him since I had leveled/champed 5* damage available. With only 4* partners to take advantage of the crits, I peaked at something like 40-45K, which isn't enough. With a 5* on board, yeah, that would totally one-shot someone.
    Have you champed Ghost? She does...maybe not 5* crit damage, but more than 4* crit damage. Might be an interesting setup.

Now that I have 13 covers on Prowler, I think i am going to try and buy him up with my iso. I want to see if Prowler/Main Event is the full anti-kitty solution for me or not.
    I do have Ghost champed. I should give her a try there. Because, really, MEHulk seems way better as a Kitty counter than as a Kitty teammate. Honestly, I've kind of hit the point with my roster where I have so many characters that I'm not really familiar with most of them, and just reach for the same handful all the time unless there's something that's right in their niche.
    Just checked, hers isn’t an excessively high modifier, 4x damage, but her damage is higher than most because it’s always 2-300% higher than base. Prowler actually has a higher crit mod at 4.5x, most 4*s I hastily surveyed are at 3, 3.5, or 4x crit damage.
    edited February 2
    Today’s Crash Lt
    domino:green 

25cp daily reward
    Kraven: purple

Champ level cp:
    wiccan: blue

i pushed up to 850 in the Rock3t pvp yesterday, walked away unshielded with GRRR/Chavez in, and I’m down to 300pts. Really not loving 3* pvp anymore lol. I’ll probably end up with 40 wins as often as not, since I can easily win offensively, but I seem to just not have a float point anymore
    Ground out 40 wins to get that Nightcrawler, it was lvl 290.
    LT got me
    wasp:blue (lvl 279)
    edited February 3
    I did a match with lvl 315 2/2/0 Kitty and Blad3 (boosted) in Most Wanted to see how that fares on defense. Still hanging on at 581, I guess we'll see if an unchamped 5* and a boosted 3* has more staying power than Gho5t Rider/Coulson did. Coulson is actually really strong with GRRR offensively, at least my lvl 289 boosted coulson, since he starts to tank the off-colors that Robbie would otherwise be using. He does sap some turns off the Chain Whip countdown, but the damage from that thing being out is fairly incidental anyway.

Based on my schedule yesterday, I did my final round of clears (just green checked, not 1 past) in Venom Bomb about 5 hours early, and managed to close the sub in 82nd place. My schedule today should let me get much closer to optimal timing, but I'll still probably start early since I really don't have a sense for how long SCL9 final clears take generally, let alone with this new 5* capability. I alternate between Gho5t Rider/Main Event against all these symbiotes and mutations and Kitty/4ocket/Medusa against tile movers. I'm curious how it'll shake out at the end of the event, but I still don't plan to start doing PVE for placement again outside of character release weeks.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,304 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 3
    Wondering if you’re getting tired of running Ghost Rider every match yet. 

For me I basically use one character for PVE (Thanos) with the 5E for match damage, and Daredevil (non-essential) to soak damage. 

And I think I use about 5 characters in PVP (Thorkoye/Gritty/Daredevil). Add Jessica and Cable to the list for sim. And that’s just for variety. Oh and Bishop for my last match for Sim defense.  

Definitely looking forward to expanding the roster. 

Edit: I realize I just probably described most 5* players. Expanding my roster will probably only be good for messing around in Sim at this point I’d imagine.  
    Yeah, I was wondering how long Gost Rider was going to be My Guy, but I do still like playing him. I’m not over fond of having to relearn how to PVP in this new float-less normal I find myself in, but GRRR is still a cool character.

but really, as a 4* player I was just using the boost list every time, so this isn’t too different from that. Roster building was really for messing around in Sim all along if we were being honest I think.
    10cp from the Namor pvp got me up to 30

Moon Knight: Black (again! 9 saved)

venom bomb token got me a rulk with a bonus Chavez good for an LT

elektr4: purple 
    edited February 4
    30cp from progression
    rulk: green
    edited February 4
    My experience in From the Depths (4* Namor release for posterity) hasn't been much different than the 3* PVP I've been doing - the preponderance of Kitty teams means I'm stuck using GR/Main Event over and over. Namor is a total wet fish, but at least i don't have to burn health packs on him. I seem to be able to push up around 600, and that's when i start showing up to real 5* players, and then i just seem to never stop showing up to them. I'll be curious what it's like when it's a 4* event where I won't be saddled with a loaner?

At any rate, I switched to Medusa/GR and pushed up to 759, and then popped a 3hr shield to let some health recover back into the bank across the day - I'll see if I can get that last 150 pts after lunch. I'm wondering if there's a better time slice for me besides the first one? I don't have all the nuances of that stuff at my fingertips, I kind of just obliviously do PVP whenever.
    Ok, I broke shield and found an un-champed Thorkoye team I was able to exploit a little bit for decent points, and I managed to hit an honest 910 points, which took 25 wins and a 75hp shield. I wouldn't have expected Medusa to be the scary partner, but i guess that auto-damage isn't appealing when you're trying to climb. So now I have a 1/0/1 Namor, and a renewed self confidence about PVP.
  • BigSoftieFFBigSoftieFF Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    My experience in From the Depths (4* Namor release for posterity) hasn't been much different than the 3* PVP I've been doing - the preponderance of Kitty teams means I'm stuck using GR/Main Event over and over. Namor is a total wet fish, but at least i don't have to burn health packs on him. I seem to be able to push up around 600, and that's when i start showing up to real 5* players, and then i just seem to never stop showing up to them. I'll be curious what it's like when it's a 4* event where I won't be saddled with a loaner?

At any rate, I switched to Medusa/GR and pushed up to 759, and then popped a 3hr shield to let some health recover back into the bank across the day - I'll see if I can get that last 150 pts after lunch. I'm wondering if there's a better time slice for me besides the first one? I don't have all the nuances of that stuff at my fingertips, I kind of just obliviously do PVP whenever.
    Slice 1 has a bunch of points, second to only slice 4 I believe. Regardless of slice you may want to settle in on GRRR beat boosted for week cause that will be by far you predominant team.
    Ran through SCL9 support circuit for the 10cp, laughed a little at GR:RR being th big boss. I went in with Robbie/rulk/Chavez and had no trouble. I always forget Rulk is still good...

that put me at 30cp
    TA Hulk: Green (2nd saved)
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,304 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine you looked at that boss like... “you have no tricks I haven’t seen”.