The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• BigSoftieFFBigSoftieFF Posts: 297 Mover and Shaker
    Champ tax is either 20 or 25 thousand. Can’t remember lol
  • ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 2,750 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mordo lvl 280 from the Doom pvp was good for an LT

Spider Gwen: Red
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,284 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let us know if you pull from the Masked Vengeance store, and your results
    I’m really light on CP, but I’ll probably do it when I get some. 
    edited January 22
    It's interesting how different the Doom pvp is from the Torch one. My floating point right now seems to be just under 800pts, which is very high for me, but as soon as I crack 900 again, there aren't any matches that are worth more than 30 points. My Doom is 211, but I think I'm actually floating that high from my lvl 292 Rogue and 285 Chavez being boosted. I'm seeing loads of mirror matches, which I don't mind doing if I have the health to recover - I guess other people would rather skip? I really wanted that 15cp, but it's going to be tough to make a 400+pt push 24pts at a time. I have 9cp in the bank right now. I'm hovering around 3500pts for the season, and I kind of want the 10-pack as well.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,098 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think people who are wanting to hop tend to find boosted Rogue slows things down enough that it makes their hops riskier. I've was jumping on those teams myself, since I was just grinding to 40 wins, so I didn't care how long any given match took.
    edited January 23
    I never could do better than 1100pts; ended up getting busted back down to 930 or so before it closed. Oh well. I did manage to get my season 10-pack, probably the earliest I've ever done so. no 4*s, 4|10 were 3*s, so that was fine. 

I hit the Crash today, had to dump a little iso into Carnage, and the LT got me

Ghost Rider: Black (lvl 287)

This emboldened me to spend 50cp in the Masked Vengeance special store, which sort of all fell into my lap between the Dak3n pvp starting up and sub 2 of HaT, and some 3* champ levels all at once.

Domino: Green (lvl 274, 2cp)
    Vulture: Green (lvl 288, 3cp)

I'm at 7cp, probably get two more stabs at it after HaT ends and i get that 30cp, and I have a 25cp daily drop tomorrow. I probably won't chase the 1200pt reward in the Dak3n thing with this boost list, it's not been smooth sailing for me. 

Well, we did it fam - got max progression in HaT and pulled a black Robbie cover out of masked Vengeance for a 7/4/4 build. Now what? Lol
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 2,869 Chairperson of the Boards
    The feedback seems to be that 1 5* champ isn't the end of the world in PvP so I guess, go for it?

The only question arises of how attached are you to your Robbie if it all goes pear-shaped?

😀
    I personally wouldn’t champ him yet.......but it also sounds like you’re not a mega competitive PVP player so that could influence the decision you make.

Whatever you do it won’t be the end of the world, how close is your next 5*?
    edited January 24
    So here are my feedable 5s:

lumbercap: 1/4/4 
    JJ: 4/2/2
    Loki: 3/4/1
    OML: 3/0/3 but I have a yellow coming in a few days from daily
    Star Lord: 5/1/3
    Hawkeye: 1/5/3

I think JJ is my best option for a good second, even though lumbercap won’t take as many covers.

Honorable mention (have feeders and could be fed to 12):
    Goblin is about to be 2/2/2
    okoye is 5/2/1

Dishonorable mention (no feeder but could get to 11/12):

Gambit: 1/3/2
    cable: 1/3/1
    dd5: 6/1/1
    thano5: 5/0/2 
  • BlackBoltRocksBlackBoltRocks Posts: 2,284 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well there’s still one more sub of Honour Among Thieves to go. You could level Robbie up to 360 (if you have the iso), or even 340, so that he gets boosted to 450, and have a taste of what he’s like champed.
    I think the plan here is to set Chavez as my 4* in the background, JJ as my 5*, and keep oulling latest to see if I can cover as I go. I’m torn though if i should instead focus my bonuses on Shuri/Okoye or XFW/OML though. Open to suggestions here.
    I did the noon EST start time on HaT, so I’ve already hit full progression. And Robbie has been lvl 345 for the event all along. I like him, he is rad with domino/vulture or Chavez. I even ran him with Domino and my covered but lvl 94 TA Hulk and he worked out. I’m going to save up and champ him, and maybe do it in 5 level increments to see at what point it hits my MMR
  • justsingjustsing Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    I think the plan here is to set Chavez as my 4* in the background, JJ as my 5*, and keep oulling latest to see if I can cover as I go. I’m torn though if i should instead focus my bonuses on Shuri/Okoye or XFW/OML though. Open to suggestions here.
    Personally, I would go with Shuri / Okoye just because Okoye works so well with many characters. But America / JJ is not a bad option, and you'll likely finish them sooner. Definitely would not go with XFW / OML. 
    Agree with @justsing here. Okoye is the best 5* most likely but JJ is no slouch and you look to be in good position there. 

How is your Chavez? Hopefully past 280 so you won’t be in a 5/2/2 situation.

OML can wait 😉
    edited January 24
    Chavez is at 285, so it’ll be a long road. Shuri is at 278. I tested Okoye with Robbie, and Hell Ride doesn’t benefit from Wakanda Forever which is a bummer. I’m thinking Robbie’s board shake will help with Damning Evidence though.

no votes for Bucky/Lumbercap?
    I figure I should see this experiment through and keep pulling latest as I go across Kingpin's run, even though I got the Robbie covers I needed. Incidentally, I just checked, and Robbie's character thread was created in January of 2018 - when he left latest, I'd gotten him to 8 covers. Across this year, I got 1 organic pull from Classic, a bonus cover I had to save from Classic, a feeder I had to save from 4* Ghost rider, and then across this thread I've gotten 2 usable bonus heroes out of latest and then this organic pull out of Masked Vengeance. I almost certainly could have done it faster by just parking my BH on 4* ghost rider across that time, but I was working on making my roster shield training proof with 10 covers on all the 4*s. Now that the only characters I need to worry about in that regard are new releases, I should be more able to leave my bonus hero on a consistent feeder like Chavez to get the next one. 

I don't disagree with y'all that Okoye is the superior character for versatility, and even now I use her every day as part of my fast-clear story team. But she is going to require lucking into a usable bonus hero or two even if i squeeze every cover out of Shuri. I really quite like Shuri, but she isn't really going to help GRRR or Okoye as a play-up partner the way a very high level Chavez would I don't think.

The reason I'm even entertaining OML is because he's fed all the way up from 2*, and XFW is double-fed by 3*s. I don't know if it's just where my MMR is right now, but he's having a bit of a renaissance in this Kitty-era for making free, beefy strikes. My Kitty is 1/2/0 though, so I wouldn't probably be on that train...

So i got my day 1085 drop of 25cp today, and then after the DDQ 2cp I have enough for a second draw. they were:

4* Kingpin: Yellow
    4* Kingpin: Yellow

4* 'pin is now lvl 289. DD5 is 6/1/1, so he's not a slam dunk to get fed, though I do really like how he plays.

Just a quick update - started Strange Sights on SCL9, it was not as easy with a terrible Cable (1/3/1 lvl 250) as HaT was with a champable Gho5t Rider lol. I'm about halfway to having the iso i need to champ GRRR (343,189 + the champ tax, i'm at 151,007 now), unless Shield Training comes along as it almost certainly will and require me to dump it on somebody else. 
    Cp draw:
    iron spider: red (3rd saved) 

3cp left over