The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 4,432 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 28 January 2020, 02:28
    I'm now 10 Shuri Shards away from a completed Okoye. It occurs to me the 11 champ levels I have on Profe$$or X would have been 11 covers for Mr. Sinister had I left off of pulling after covering him, so I'm going to sit tight on spending any further until he leaves latest, and hopefully take this lesson to heart lol.

I'm pretty hooked on Okoye/Profe$$or X and Doom/Profe$$or X these days. Sometimes I run Iceman/X or ice-koye. I keep feeling like WCap should be better with Rescue than he is, which is to say not good at all; I was so sure flooding the board with red/blue would be what the dr ordered to jumpstart, but i guess his baby champ health pool is just too low.
    Okoye is now completed. Just need around 50k more iso to champ her. I moved my 4* bh to Valkyrie, currently at 283, and my 5* has been on Gladiathor. I'm leaving my 3* on Spid3r-Man for now to get Fi5k the long way. Still not sure I shouldn't be chasing somebody nearer to finished than this, but for now this is the plan.
    Okoye is champed, and I'm all in on Valkyrie/Thor now for shard targeting. I've started saving up pulls in advance of Mr. Sinister, so I have now 3 LTs and 50-ish cp in the bank. Curious how far that will grow by the time he lands in Latest (still have the 35 sitting in the final Webbed Wonder sub to grind, and 10 from the Mystique PVP). 

Also I got a green Black Bolt (4/2/1) from daily rewards the other day, and I have my first yellow 5trange coming in 4 days for his own 4/2/1 build. 
    So I have a decision: 250cp for this final Fi5k cover out of HFH, or just keep saving up till Profe$$or X leaves?
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,771 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd leave Fi5k to Spid3y, myself. I'm actually really looking forward to pulling for Carnage/Bill/Sinister, tho, so there is a definite bias there.
    I mean obviously he isn’t “worth it,” but being the character that started this thread it feels tempting to close the loop. I’m going to try and stay strong lol
    Good point. I'd have trouble resisting in that situation, too.
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 4,307 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mean obviously he isn’t “worth it,” but being the character that started this thread it feels tempting to close the loop. I’m going to try and stay strong lol

If it wasn't 250 CP I could totally see you going for it. I mean I have never come across a player here who enjoys using the trash tier characters of this game like you do! You deserve some sort of reward - like a free Fi5k cover!
    edited 3 February 2020, 15:31
    I believe every Magikarp has a lurking Gyardos in them someplace lol. It's just so hard to imagine a character that's so obviously trash coming out like that on purpose, but it seems to happen fairly often.

Who is he supposed to be played with? How is he supposed to be played? Maybe I'll finish Carbage/BRB and he'll make more sense. 

I have a 3* Kull Obsidian at 150 I just added to him, that increases his green damage by 84 and has a ~11% chance to create a protect tile at the start of every turn. That actually seems better for him than the Vanessa Fisk one that just messes with the strength of enemy specials every turn.
    I actually had quite a bit of fun with him along with Grockitty in TAT, and that was only at 5/1/3. He complements her colours perfectly, and his green sets up recurring damage, which Kitty always likes. Giving away a special with his blue will get Circuit Breaker going. Use it right after her yellow or his green, and you'll have a fairly minor tile to give away, that'll turn into 13K+ damage in another Turn.
    My Kitty is in a sad state, so I may never have the joy of that pairing. I actually do kind of think he would play nice with Carbage and BRB, though BRB’s moves are basically better in every way so using him as a battery is probably not awesome.
    Well, you'll all be glad to know I didn't get the cover. Approaching 300cp, 6 LTs in the bank. i feel like Scrooge McDuck over here lol.
    You're not really Scrooging it until you've got enough to swim through like a porpoise ;)
    I am extremely curious how playable SCL 10 pve is going to be to progression for my roster. I'm imagining a lot of Bishop based teams to stun-lock
    Yeah. I'm unsure how it will go, but I def want to give it a try.
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 4,307 Chairperson of the Boards
    My roster will fold like an origami master in SCL10 PvE but I am also gonna give it a whack. Expect multiple crying emoji's.
    I just leveled my Hawkeye as far as he can go (405), and I'm seriously reconsidering chasing the 3 covers on him to champ rather than on Gladiathor to 5/0/2 right now. I'm imagining the stun-lock team is going to be more reliably able to defeat the hard nodes on events i have a poorly covered 5*. Anybody with experience want to weigh in on a 5/0/2 Thorkoye vs CapHawk for punching up that far?
  • KojubatKojubat Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    I just leveled my Hawkeye as far as he can go (405), and I'm seriously reconsidering chasing the 3 covers on him to champ rather than on Gladiathor to 5/0/2 right now. I'm imagining the stun-lock team is going to be more reliably able to defeat the hard nodes on events i have a poorly covered 5*. Anybody with experience want to weigh in on a 5/0/2 Thorkoye vs CapHawk for punching up that far?
    I am not in your situation, and covered both Thor and Hawkeye way before any of this would have been an issue. I like both characters.

I think Hawkeye gets you a conditional punch-up for PvE, with a bit of a PvP scarecrow effect thrown in. The problem with Hawkeye & Worthy is that you are counting on getting hit hard enough to speed up the AP collection. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of hard nodes in events with goons who won't do any sort of damage to you unless you wait for them to magically create AP, fire a power, then wait for the countdown - assuming it's a single character damage power in the first place. You could mitigate that with Dr. Strange for pick-three hard nodes, but you'll probably want to switch Cap for Coulson in those situations. Either way, the Blue/Purple AP boost button might wear out on your interface, and don't forget Drax as a third if he's boosted.

With Thor, you get more of a universal tool. Even ignoring Okoye, you can throw him with America Chavez and reliably count on criticals for whatever character has the highest match potential in your roster, or just use him as a battery for half the colors on the board. Downside is if you're in an event with no force to multiply, or Thor is tanking most colors against tile movers.
    Yeah, that exact scenario of goons, especially Mindless Ones, slamming my 7-cover Gladiathor in SCL 10 seems like it could be risky. That being said, maybe I'll get lucky rostering BRB and Sinister once they hit latest, and my Beta-Rescue-koye team will get the job done. 

I've actually been running Iceman/Hawkeye/Coulson in Simulator today, and that team stays pretty AP-positive with some decent board control. 
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,834 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think with the game being flipped on its head with regards to reward, it’ll be much harder to champ as you open in 9 and lower, possibly easier in 10. 

Regardless, I think any “data” gleamed from this thread is way less useful than it was a week ago. Might be time for a part 2?

(Also your roster is way nicer than it was when you started, so... those tools will help).